2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: TomTank's Layout and Work Bench

Post by mick b »

Cant agree re Mailcoach they are diabolical, the sides are moulded in clear plastic including the flush glazed windows, which you then paint around each window etc. Virtually impossible to get neat lines. I have built the Tourist set never again, they are poorly detailed and moulded as well.

As to the etched brass version Marc Models make them or PM me for another source

Mick
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I think I should have said that many people prefer plastic kits in general to metal.

I didn't find the Mailcoach tourist buffet sides difficult to paint, with the aid of a bow pen and rule to firstly go around window edges and window bars. The big bugbear with my kit was the roof. I wish I had realised before profiling the mismatched ends to suit the roof and gluing it on for the first time, that the supplied profile was too flat and low!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Alpineman wrote:Tom

A Silver Jubilee coach set has been lacking in availability since the Mailcoach models ceased production, which always seemed strange to me, bearing in mind that both Hornby and Bachmann produced silver liveried A4s. Silver painted Stanier coaches are no substitute, which has put me off from buying a silver engine, although I have fancied one for variety.

On Sunday, at the Alexandra Palace show, I saw some part finished brass etched models of the Silver Jubilee coach set running on a layout operated by the Hornby live steam system. Are these the models you will be using? If so, they looked quite fine, although incomplete, and lacking windows and livery. Who is making them?

Are you modelling the original 1936 consist, or the 1938 version, with the extra coach?

Alpineman
Hi Chap

The coaches you will have seen are the Marc's Models versions

The ones I have ordered....are from the same source that Mick B got his, as Mick says if you are interested PM him :)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening all

Couple of updates for you all :)

First off, big thanks to Richard and the BRM team for featuring the layout in the latest BRM readers layout section.

I wrote up the writing about the year ago, so some of whats written may seem a little out of date ;)

Anyhow, a photo shoot is in order I feel to show the latest editions to the layout!

A1 4475 'FLYING FOX' prepares to move off shed to the turntable for turning.

And heres the A4 4498 'SIR NIGEL GRESLEY'

4475 seen working the 'FLYING SCOTSMAN' passing through Eastcote Central, where unusually A4 2510 'QUICKSLIVER' is seen. Most likely she failed on the Silver Jubilee and another loco has taken over.

4475 passes sheds with the 'FLYING SCOTSMAN'

5 mins later a V2 4844 'COLDSTREAMER' passes with a Scotch Freight

All this and more to look forward from North Eastern Steam this year!
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I like the smokey atmosphere Tom.

:) Government Health Warning: Cigarettes can seriously damage your health
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Evening all

Something that I have noticied looking through my books regarding A4s in Garter Blue, is the fact you rarely saw them pristine, there was dirt in crannies between boiler bands, in the rivets of the valances.

The weathering is based on a picture in The Gresley Pacifics by O.S Nock
of 4498

And here is the results in tonights weathering

Obviously the dirt isn't as obvious as the actual pic shows but im glad about that, but the main thing is I have tried to show it in all the areas the picture shows.

I originally was going to use my model mates spray, but after a brief experiment, found the dirt came out purple :o not very prototypical!

So used powders, which I then wet to get it all around the crannies of the rivets and boiler bands.

hope you like it....I have black fingers now! :P
Tom Foster
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I think you have got the look correct, clean but work stained.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by M Gair »

Hi Tom,

Sir Nigel looks great. Great work with the weathering. I'm not into weathering locos myself, but they do look prototypical.

You have also got the silver band along the base of the valance of Sir Nigel, which is apparant in some photos of the A4's. Did you do that or is this a professional rename/repaint job?

regards
MArk
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Looking really good Tom.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

M Gair wrote:Hi Tom,

Sir Nigel looks great. Great work with the weathering. I'm not into weathering locos myself, but they do look prototypical.

You have also got the silver band along the base of the valance of Sir Nigel, which is apparant in some photos of the A4's. Did you do that or is this a professional rename/repaint job?

regards
MArk
Thanks Mark

The Gresley model comes with the Silver Strip, she was a limited edition for the 70th anniversary of the Hornby Dublo one and came out in 2008.

Picked up another which TMC are renumbering into one of the Coronation A4s.

I have given Gresley a more even covering, as well as bringing out the grime in the crannies as well as the axel boxes.

The tender has had a bit more added

While I was working on Gresley, I kept looking at my bright Silver A4 2510 'QUICKSILVER', and I kept thinking....'you don't look right'

Just looked like a toy being bright white, with no blemishes, so took out the powders and got to work ;)

I have a couple of colour photos of Silver Link when she was new, but in steam, and although the Silver Jubilee loco would always be cleaned, being the colour she was, smke stains would show up quite clearly...and more so after a run between Kings X and Newcastle.

So with 2510, I wanted to define the nooks and crannies more, the boiler bands and hatches, plus make the top of the tender and little dirty with coal stains, plus the wheels needed darkening a little.

Notice the cab roof sides, these where Silver/ White but weathered very soon to being a dark grey, and can be seen in photo evidence.

Now this shots shows of the smoke stain, which would have been most noticable, tried not to go mad, and make sure around of the back of the chimney was the most effected.

And here the two A4s stand side by side...out of all the weathering I have done, I'm most pleased with this, just to give that worked look :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Latest out of Darlington Works...or in this locos case...in need of Darlington Works!!! ;)

Spent the evening weathering this little fellow, one of my favourite Gresley designs, the K3

As far as I have been told, all K3s were lined before the war, Bachmann didn't, so I thought, lets make it as gruby and worn out as ever.

I used a picture in my 'History of the LNER Book 2' to get the right look, all done with powders again, I'm especially pleased with how the work on the wheels turned out, something i tended to over look on past models I have weathered.

Oh and these arrived today thanks to a certain MRF Member :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Afternoon all...sorry I haven't been on much

Thought I'd post some picks of the latest offerings from the LNER :)

Models from TMC, one being the Brown Jack Model sent to repair...and the other two being locos i got cheapish on ebay and had TMC renumber

Whats this, 2 A1s on shed....two Flying A1s on shed...... ;) 4475 Flying Fox can be seen closest and......

the most famous engine of them all...4472 Flying Scotsman with corridor tender (A4 one mind)

A3 Brown Jack with Non Corridor GNR style tender

and my favourite...a Coronation A4

4498 'Dominion of Canada' with the bell given as a gift by the Canadian High Commision

All to be shown in a special group of Episodes for North Eastern Steam, screening this August! ;)

Special thanks to TMC for doing a fantastic job and being ever so accommodating! :)
Tom Foster
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

Do you apply your powders dry or with a solvent?

Peter
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Hi Peter

I spray the loco with Varnish, either Matt/Satin or Gloss.

I then apply the powers by hand, they tend to stick better than if you do it without spraying first, I also wash with water while applying to get into the nook and cranies, especially with Sir Nigel when I applied on her.

hope this helps

Tom
Tom Foster
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Tom i like your turntable can you give us some details please.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.