Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Models

Post by mick b »

Completed signals now on my layout Helensdale :shock: :shock: .
Two more Bracket Signals (nearly done!!) and Ground Signals (on order) for the crossovers still to come.
8.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
MICK
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Looking good Mick,

I am sadly a long way from needing signals - two ovals of track not even pinned down yet. I enjoy building stock too much.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A start made on the the next part of the Silver Jubilee Set , 1st Brake / Semi Open Artic pair
1.jpg
2.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Interiors done , bogies also built ,next roofs and painting
Semi open 1st
1.jpg[/attachment Brake 1st] [attachment=0]2.jpg
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

looking brill chap

Very helpful for when I start my Articulated Set!

Tom
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by M Gair »

Hi Mick,

Looks good. From all the comments I have read regarding etch brass coaches being pulled by Hornby A4's, you will need to add extra weight to the loco for pulling power. That is if you are using Hornby A4's.

any way keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more.
Cheers
Mark
beeman
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: LNER Models operable 4mm semaphores

Post by beeman »

Have you made these operable ? or are they fixed, I have been assembling some 4 mm Ratio signals. They were fiddly some 20 ish years ago and still are today. The main complaint i would make is that the bellcranks and laddering are not sufficiently strong.,some I made years ago have gone brittle. The new additions are little better. I accept that the parts are tiny but considering the advances in plastics materials technology that must have been made over 25 years I would have thought Ratio would have improved their choice of materials.perhaps the problem is getting better material to flow in the moulding process. It would be interesting to hear their comments. For all that the mouldings are excellent in detail. of course the original Ratio was taken over by Peco. same moulds being used. My challenge was to make them electrically operable .I decided to try Flexinol wire, making them so they could be 'plugged' into the baseboard from above , the main reason being facility to remove in the event of trouble. They all work on the bench and now fitting to the baseboard. Must admit they look great. The most involved so far has been to operate 3 arms on one array. One drawback I feel I am now to encounter is the slight variation in current they need, may require to fit simple adjustable current controllers to each operating arm. proceeding with success so far.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi
The arms work but I have not attempted any further.
I have found them very hard work to make. The kits are all MSE manafacture. There are problems with various parts either being too weak or simply the wrong size as etched. As a result I have had multiple breaks of various parts due to them after filing to fit, being too thin. I await Ground signals at the moment and will be contacting MSE regarding the problems I have had.
Good luck with yours please start a thread with some pictures or add to the signalling thread already on the forum

Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Last two brackets done !!!! Still await Ground Signals. MSE were very helpful and made some good suggestions on how to build these things. I wont be rushing to do anymore , I would rather build rolling stock anytime !!
2.jpg
1.jpg
A bit closer
3.jpg
4.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Jubilee 1st class twin bodies and roofs ready for paint
1.jpg
2.jpg
interiors simple push fit in due course
4.jpg
5.jpg
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

Ex NER Mineral wagons-we knew them 21T hoppers as 'T' wagons then later Double Xs-XX or an X for the 13T version in either case wood or steel.
I possitively drooled over the workmanship of the hoppers shewn, makes my poor examples(as yet not completed) a sorry attempt at model making yet they inspire me to as my school reports used to say "could do better".
The partial view of the engine in No4 is a scratch ex NER 4-8-0T class T1. These were the first engines I ever fired on the Newport hump yards.
jim brodie
Attachments
mineral wagons 001.jpg
mineral wagons 002.jpg
mineral wagons 003.jpg
mineral wagons 004.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Renamed Hornby A1 Great Northern models

Sir Frederick Banbury
1.jpg
Solario
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Another NRM A3 renamed Singapore
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

One side of the Silver Jubilee 1st pair finished
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
Mick
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Great to see the layout Mick,looks superb!...wonderful job on those signals too,I've only built a single post slotted,don't like to even contemplate what work went into yours! They add so much to the layout though you must consider it time well spent by now!
Rob