2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: TomTank's Layout and Work Bench

Post by Tom F »

The latest new engine has arrived to Picton Whiske Sheds.

It's this lovely N2 tank. Actually had a Dublo one, but unfortuanley it doesn't run, to get a replacement has been at the back of my mind, but then two this prompted me.

1. A new book, which i have mentioned 'Eastern Around London' with some lovely colour photos of the N2s working suburban services.

2. Mr Martin's BRWS of course and the use of an N2 seen most recently in Episode 16 :) thanks again mate for being an inspiration :)

So I saw this on Ebay the other week, she is made by Main Line and does look far superior than the Hornby Dublo version with quite alot of detail on the loco.

The only real issues is that no N2s were based around the York area in the alte 50s, most were around London. So My N2 is fresh out of an overhaul from Doncaster and is having a run in period at Eastcote Central, hence she can be seen pottering around Picton Whiske Sheds/Yards and helping out the K3/B1/V3s on 'the Local'

to represent Ex Works she has been sprayed with Gloss Paint.

On 'The Local'
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Hi, is your very noisy?

They are lovely models, I have a couple, one in LNER green and one that someone had done one side in BR and one side in LNER black so I resprayed and renumbered it back into LNER black. Both are extremely noisy. I have thought about buying the Comet chassis for them at some point but other things seem to take precedent.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Robpulham wrote:Hi, is your very noisy?

They are lovely models, I have a couple, one in LNER green and one that someone had done one side in BR and one side in LNER black so I resprayed and renumbered it back into LNER black. Both are extremely noisy. I have thought about buying the Comet chassis for them at some point but other things seem to take precedent.
Hi Rob

yes it is quite noisy, that is the only slight let down with the model, although it doesn't really bother me as I over dub it with real engine sounds when I film for
North Eastern Steam :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Hi all not posted in ages,

to show what I have been doing, best post my latest episode of North Eastern Steam.

Enjoy
"NORTH EASTERN STEAM" Episode 3 "A Locomotive's Home: Life at Picton Whiske Sheds"
Tom Foster
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

The n2s are lovely. You can graft a hornby chassis under there. I turned one back to LNER from BR condition and removed the condensing gear, it is my proudest moement in modeling. I might just get round to upgrading its chassis one day.

great Vid.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Thanks for comments chap :)

Glad you liked the video, many months of hard work have paid off :)

Quick question, the Australia Flying Scotsman Hornby have brought out, how accurate would she be to a 1930's 4472?

Cheers

Tom
Tom Foster
Landscapes
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Landscapes »

Hi Tom

I like episode 3 it looks very professional, how do you get the smoke effects?

Regards

David
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

TomTank wrote:Quick question, the Australia Flying Scotsman Hornby have brought out, how accurate would she be to a 1930's 4472?
Hi Tom,

I've not seen your most recent episode yet but I'm sure that its as good (if not better!) than your previous efforts! 8)

4472 as she went to Oz was an A3 and not an A1 as she would have been in the 30's. The loco would not have had the bango dome or super heater covers on the smoke box. Also I think that at the time of the Oz trip Scotsman was running with an A4 boiler (would this have made her an un-streamlined A4?) as washout plugs etc may have also been in different positions.

The tender is more appropriate to an A4 as well with the streamline fairing at the front. Depending if you're modelling the early or late 30's, Scotsman would have either been paired with an original corridor tender or one of the newer high sided non-corridor types after the A4's took over regular working of the Flying Scotsman set.

Slightly off topic but I got to see Scotsman at Didcot just after she arrived back in the UK from the trip down under. Having been a regular visitor to Didcot since birth I remember how different and brilliant she looked compared to all the GWR types around. Having ridden in the first coach behind her on the test track I annoyed my parent enough that we spent an hour tracking down the site manager to get a footplate pass for 4472. I got to ride the footplate and open the regulator (would an 8/9 year old be allowed to do this today!?) to take her on her way - a dream come true and I became hooked on Gresley locos that day!
Steve
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Hi Steve

it's funny you should mention the boiler issue, had a small debate on MRF about this another chap is convinced the model has a 94A boiler on the australian model, and im sure it's a 107 by comparing these pics

Here is a pic of Galtee More and The White Knight, both with 94A

here is sandwich with 107 and below the Australian Flying Scotsman

The only thing that concerns me is the boiler bands, they seem all white while the box illustrations shows them black with white lining either side of the white. This was from hattons (when in stock) so could be a prototype some just in the process of checking.

I'm sure thats a 107 boiler (the washout plugs match the Sandwich model which has a 107 boiler) and are clearly positioned differently from the 94A ones on Galtee More and The White Knight.

My thoughts were to have her renumbered to represent A3 Brown Jack (only one with Banjo dome and corridor tender), and rotate the tender between A1s to give a 1933 feel maybe

Advice and thoughts welcomes :)

Tom
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That model of Scotsman preserved can only ever represent that loco at that time, because of the strange/unique way that the preservationists chose to dress up the A4 boiler to almost look like an original A3 boiler.
It appears to me that were you to move the washout plugs and oval mudhole door covers into the proper A1/A3 original boiler positions then you could backdate the model to the thirties. If you instead move the one boiler band forwards (plus the adjoining handrail knob) and somehow make the joint between the tapers on the firebox and boiler barrel coincide with the new band position, then you can make a "period" BR reboilered loco.

Otherwise, one way or another the details will be wrong for the pedant to "plainly" see......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Here is a link (halfway down page) to my model of Salmon Trout the other A3 with a Banjo Dome etc!!.
lner-models-t1624s75.html

I am glad to see it has the correct 94A Boiler fittef. This a conversion of the Hornby NRM version. I must admit I never checked before converting to Salmon Trout as to what boiler Hornby had used for the NRM Scotsman a bit of luck for oncE!!
Tom as mentioned on the other forum keep a look out for a Flying Fox to convert.

Mick
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

I'm really quite confused.....WHICH IS A 94A BOILER!!

Some say that the NRM and the australian one have 107, others that they are 94a

I'm guessing it can't matter that much either way if some think it's one and others think it's the other :? :?

looks stunning Mick btw, real credit to your skills :)
Tom Foster
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Tom
Just checked pics Type 94A in pictures has the rear washout plugs seperate as per Salmon Trout et al

Mick
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Mick

would you be able to post a pic of that, I have just found a pic of an A3 with the washout plugs arranged like the Scotsman models and it states 94A, yet most that arrangement say 107.

Still confused chap, from my research the two lower washout plugs on the firebox side, when level with each other are 94A when the rear one is slightly higher, it's 107.

Still confused with conflicting views......saying that, im still thinking of getting the Australian scotsman, if anyone wants to point out wrong boiler...fair enough :?
Tom Foster
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Sorry picture is in Yeadon copywright.
The aussie version is not a 94A the front washout plug is in front of the second band as well as the other plugs being close together. Save your money and get Flying Fox if you can find one

Mick