Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Alpineman
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: LNER Models

Post by Alpineman »

Mick B
Great looking TPO. I have heeded your warning about the difficulty of making one out of a Hornby coach and dropped the idea, but it does make for an impressive looking result. Why do TPO vehicles have off-set gangways? Even the old tinplate Hornby 3-rail TPO coach I had as a boy had this feature and I always wondered why.

Alpineman
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

mick b wrote:The numerous Brass etchings now added to the GCR CCT body , awaits Whitemetal castings next.
Does this help?
GCR CCT 1U7.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Bill
Yes a great help it confirms the roof joining line. The top end door hinges hinges dont match with the kit but theres not much I can do about that !! as no spares are provided.

many thanks

Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Alpineman wrote:Mick B
Great looking TPO. I have heeded your warning about the difficulty of making one out of a Hornby coach and dropped the idea, but it does make for an impressive looking result. Why do TPO vehicles have off-set gangways? Even the old tinplate Hornby 3-rail TPO coach I had as a boy had this feature and I always wondered why.

Alpineman
To allow the sorters inside more space I believe. Another guess its a security measure as well as no one could get into them from other coaches .
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

CCT ready for paint
1.jpg
2.jpg
Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

GCR CCT completed
IMG_0256.JPG
NER Ballast Brake
IMG_0258.JPG
WSM GCR Bogie Fish Van this is a old build just had the bogies rebuilt so that it stays on the track !!
IMG_0255.JPG
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Current project NER Slotted post signals, three Home one Home/Distant I have three bracket signals to do as well.
6.jpg
Mick
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

mick b wrote:
WSM GCR Bogie Fish Van this is a old build just had the bogies rebuilt so that it stays on the track !!
IMG_0255.JPG
Hi Mick,

Whose kit is this? I have fancied one since first seeing it in the the Tatlow book, I even toyed with the idea of scratch building one from plastic card (admittedly I am sad enough to attempt scratch building one from brass these days). But never made any progress with it. The CCT is looking good.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Quality stuff as usual, Mick. I have one of those CCTs to refinish, bought part completed.

Rob - I don't know whether it's the same kit, but Robin Peover used to offer the bogie fish van as R & E Models, through Brassmasters. They're currently unavailable due to his illness and I don't know what future the range has. I had the last two kits from him last year for a colleague at Ormesby.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

WSM keeps cropping up everwhere I look at present. I can remember their ads in MRC in the 70s.....

Take care regarding the GC bogie fish. One of the kits that has been available is said to be under-scale in one or more respects, and I cannot remember which kit is the problem. I believe two styles of GC bogie fish have appeared as kits.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The WSM Fish van was built over 20 years ago. No other knowledge of them

cheers

Mick
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

mick b wrote:Current project NER Slotted post signals, three Home one Home/Distant I have three bracket signals to do as well.
Mick
Do please post photos of your progress with the signals, Mick. I'm a signalling fan, any model railway without the appropriate signals isn't really a model railway!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Ongoing NER Signal pictures added to Signalling thread

A D&S NER Dia 20 Brake 3rd which i have rebuilt due to heavy painting and superglue construction 20 years ago. Looks a lot better now
5.jpg
6.jpg
Mick
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Nice coach, Mick. I'm looking forward to seeing the signals progress; they're not a thing I've ever tackled.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks JW .
Its a steep learning curve on signals as they are a first for me as well. I have two books on the subject by Mundy and Nicholson both are good but still presume the reader has got knowledge of the subject which have not!!.
I have a total of seven on the go four singles and three brackets. One guess who discovered today that the floor had been soldered up upside down today on two of the bracket signals !! Its all fun !!
I have added some newer photos of the signals I am "building" on the forum Signalling thread

More added today 24/03/10

Mick