Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: LNER Models

Post by M Gair »

I have read the article by Tony Wright and I think I remember the other article on the smaller coaches.

I was thinking of buying a set of new crimson & cream or maroon gresley's and repainting them teak. It is certainly cheaper than buying the teaks as they work out to be £38+/Aust$70+, in Australia they are usually between A$80-$90 ea. Hattons had some for £15 at one time. I picked up 7 crimson & cream for average of A$31ea

It means possibly taking the handrails off, but these could be put back.

In regards to the TPO, I think it would be best to follow Mick B's advice.

regards
Mark
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The Articles in question:

Done in a Trice, Tony Wright, BRM Feb 2006

Gresley RTR Conversions, Graeme King (whoever he is), BRM Oct 2006

I think the point is made in the second article that at the time of converting the coaches there was no prospect of the current "super" RTR Gresleys from Hornby, availability of the Kirk kits was sporadic and uncertain (and their shortcomings were startinmg to show against newer etched kits), and etched Gresleys were already £30+ per kit and needed a deal of time and skill to build. Also, the Hornby conversion exercise was something of a response to me hearing a challenging assertion by Steve Banks that NOTHING could be done with the Hornby coaches other than sell them or put them in the bin. If you would, please also bear in mind that I was cutting my teeth on "cut and shut" projects as I did the Gresley coaches, so the method might not be as straighforward as anything I would contemplate now and there are still imperfections in the finished coaches. I did however think that it was a fair approach and result at the time.

For a decent selection of LNER coach diagrams, more cheaply than forking out for individual Isinglass drawings, try Nick Campling's LNER carriage drawings book. It may allegedly contain some errors, but it is a pretty good start.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks Graeme I will try and find the magazines, they should be a good read

Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Latest builds all 51L kits
ex NBR Van
ex NBR Van
ex NER Van
ex NER Van
ex NER P5 Hopper
ex NER P5 Hopper
Hopper Interior
Hopper Interior
Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Ex GCR CCT my latest build a D&S kit.
Does anyone have any pictures or other details please. I am aware of the other build of this kit on the forum.
IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0171.JPG
Mick
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Regarding making various improvements to the later Hornby Gresley carriages, and a possible and rational explanation as to the absence of curve on the sides, there's a useful explanation by Larry Goddard no less in either a thread or blog of his on RMWeb. Unfortunately, pending the server installation at the new hosting facility, access is somewhat sporadic and definitely not at the moment I type this. When I can get onto that forum I will post the link here...

Gotcha! Larry Goddard on Hornby Gresley Carriages - fully illustrated and well worth time spend reading and inwardly digesting. But do be patient please...
IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

65447 wrote:Regarding making various improvements to the later Hornby Gresley carriages, and a possible and rational explanation as to the absence of curve on the sides, there's a useful explanation by Larry Goddard no less in either a thread or blog of his on RMWeb. Unfortunately, pending the server installation at the new hosting facility, access is somewhat sporadic and definitely not at the moment I type this. When I can get onto that forum I will post the link here...

Gotcha! Larry Goddard on Hornby Gresley Carriages - fully illustrated and well worth time spend reading and inwardly digesting. But do be patient please...
It is a wonderful thread by a very respected coach modeler.
He has gone from reprofiling the Hornby's to now replacing the sides with etched brass ones and its very well illustrated and explained. Lets just say I'm well convinced and have gotten hold of some Hornby Gresleys on the strength of it :wink:
Indeed a well known Liverpool box shifter has just had some more business in the last hour.
Check out their site at the moment and you may tip you "hat..." in their direction :lol: Happy hacking!
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

mick b wrote:Latest builds all 51L kits
IMG_0172_1.jpg
IMG_0173_1.JPG
IMG_0174_1.jpg
IMG_0175_1.JPG
Mick
I do like the interior of that hopper Mick very realistic woodwork.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

re. the Larry Goddard coach thread, Atlantic 3279 has started a thread on this very topic here.

It is probably best to discuss those Hornby modifications there in their own dedicated thread.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Mick[/quote]
I do like the interior of that hopper Mick very realistic woodwork.[/quote]

Thanks Rob some more pictures soon. The TPO is now done , howver now got flu at the moment so pictures when recovered.

Mick
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I look forward to it Mick. It's still on my future build list - just seems to get further away :roll:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Completed TPO.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The numerous Brass etchings now added to the GCR CCT body , awaits Whitemetal castings next. Has anyone any info on this vehicle ??
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Thanks

Mick
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Mick, I have just had a glance through all the usual GCR-themed book suspects (Dow etc etc) but can't find a photo of a CCT. I thought I found drawings in the model rail press (Modellers backtrack v.3/no3 1993.) but they were for a CLC type of carriage truck of just a wee bit earlier. They have some notable similarities in the door mechanism, but are generally quite different from the later GCR batches especially in the underframe department. Sorry I cant be of much help. I'm sure someone in the GCR society would know more.

Maybe Andy at Isinglass would be able to help as a CCT is on their list of future releases isnt it?

nice model- cheers for continuing to post such an eclectic range of models.

Will
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Many thanks for your efforts

Mick