2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: TomTank's Layout and Work Bench

Post by manna »

Tom Tank
Like your ethic's, charge about , get it done, all looking good.
Small point, I take it you use a digital camera, take a step back, then take the picture, you can then enlarge and crop the picture to take away the fuzzy look, look forward to your next instalment, keep up the good work.
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Hi guys

Quick update. Have been emailed that 60500 'Edward Thompson' is finished :D so I will be popping the cheque off tomorrow!

Hope you guys look forward to seeing one of these in North Eastern Steam ;D
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Hi all. I'm sorry there has been such little action recently. Basically, I'm literally waiting to start filming Episode 2 of North Eastern Steam, but im currently awaiting the star.... 60500 'Edward Thompson' to arrive. So have done little on the layout, apart from some more areas of ballasting.

So this evening i decided to do a mini photo shoot of some of the engines, thought this would give some idea on the work that has gone on the layout.

Also we have had to replace the dimmer switch on the lights, as they blew the dimmer switch after being on to long. Currently there is a normal switch, but when filming night time shots of the sheds, the shed and yard lights just don't give of enough light, so we are trying to get hold of an 800w dimmer switch (not going to be cheap) so that with it on the lowest dim, you get a nice night time effect!

Anyhow enjoy the pics, I hope this keeps you interested for now :)

A3 60077 'The White Knight Moves of shed

and now a Royal Scot 46140 'The Kings Royal Rifle Corps' from the
London Midland Region moves on shed after hauling a trans pennine train.
She will return home tomorrow.

Jubilee 45697 'Achilles' waits patiently outside the sheds

It's a summers evening, and Royal Scor 46140 enters Eastcote Central, while
A1 60130 'Kestrel' is given the right of way.

A jubilee with a mixed freight

3 Gresley Locomotives together, from right to left.
D49 62758 'The Cattistock'
V2 60800 'Green Arrow'
A3 60089 'Gainsbrough'
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Ok chaps. some more layout photos. These basically show your different loco types moving off shed

K3 moves off shed heading to the north end of Eastcote Central

V2 60903 backs off shed

A4 60017 'SILVER FOX' a visiter to Picton Whiske, heads towards the south end of Eastcote to pick up her train

A1 60144 'KING'S COURIER' simmers on the shed lines, waiting to be given right of way to move off
on to the main line. The trainspotters at platform 4 were most pleased :)

The crewe of 60144 make sure she has a good head of steam

a different view of the station showing it in all it's glory (ignore rubbish far right, shows the layout is still work in progress ;) )

Jubilee 'ACHILLES' and A1 'FOXHUNTER' wait on the southbound lines with there trains. 60134 is ex works as one can tell

Hope you like these :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

another quick update.

As mentioned in the last post, I mentioned that the TMC A1 for my birthday had arrived. Now the thing that struck me was the weathering on the wheels, and I realised that all my model I have weathered have had very little done on the wheels.

So this evening I had a go for the first time at dry brush weathering on the wheels, I decided to work on A1 King's Courier as i have heavily weathered her already.

I'm pleased with the results, as the photos I had looked at showed quite alot of rust on Pacific wheels, even when they were in pretty good condition. Anyhow, see what you think :)

Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

here is Foxhunter, she has been sprayed with Gloss Varnish, as she is to represent ex works.

Contrast to my heavily weathered 60144

would like to know your thoughts :)
Tom Foster
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

The wheels look really good, and the contrast with the ex works livery is excellent. Really like this use of atmosphere and the difference of appearance and texture. The two A1s look almost different classes. Well done.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

CVR1865 wrote:The wheels look really good, and the contrast with the ex works livery is excellent. Really like this use of atmosphere and the difference of appearance and texture. The two A1s look almost different classes. Well done.
Thanks CVR1865.... glad you like the contrasting pics, thought it worked well :)

well I have been doing some more wheel weathering. Gainborough, and my veteran V2 60903 enjoy

V2 wheels

A3 wheels

notice rust on tender springs and foot steps

my fav picture Gainsborough standing proud, with that touch of weathering on the wheels enhancing I think

what you chaps think, tried to do less rust than on A1 60144, added some black to just dirty it more rather than rust.
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Well everyone, it's been one of those days.

Good news was A2/3 60500 'Edward Thompson' arrived!!!

Bad news was she de railed on every curve!!

This was down to the area on the bogie where it's open, so the rod on the bodie goes, which allows the bogie to move from side to side on curves, well there wasn't enough give in it for the curves. So I made the gap wide with a drill, still no good. I was had pretty much given up hope, when something crossed my mind. Thompson used B1 bogies on his A2s..... I think, so I had a look at my B1 which is never used as it's such a bad runner. low and behold, it was very similar in design as my A2, i.e could be used to replace it, which was a surprise as my Pacifics bogie design to the body is different.

The important thing with this bogie is the suspension, the PDK one has none, I could use the spring off the B1 with the B1 bogie, this obviously was giving could traction, pushing the bogies into the track, something that was missing before, causing the bogie to be very light.

Sadly the A2 still comes off moving on to the main line from the sheds, but I can live with this, the thing I'm pleased with is that she runs around the layout ok. Sadly I don't think anymore Thompson A2s will be coming to Picton whiske :(

anyhow some more pics

looking quite magnificent A2/3 60500 'EDWARD THOMPSON'

a comparison shot, showing the difference in front ends with a Peppercorn A1

Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

long time no post :)

Ok guys

I know things have been quiet. Getting my A2 was surposed to bring great joy, sadly it brought more tears and anger than anything. Anyhow, I have not got him running on my main line good :) no de railments.....touch wood.

So I thought i would give him a proper photo shoot

Enjoy :)....ps Episode 2 will be out the end of the week :)

and some main line running

Tom Foster
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Hi,

The A2 looks great. If you;re having problems with the bogie it may be due to a lack of weight over it? If not, check the back-to-back measurements, and failing that, it may be the finer treads of the wheels that are causing problems for the peco poitnwork? I don't pretend to know all the answers for such things, but obersving exactly HOW it derails on pointwork is always a good start- for example, are the flanges riding up the side of the rails without any other obvious cause? are the flanges catching the front frame extensions when going around corners (or their mudguards)?
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

wehf100 wrote:Hi,

The A2 looks great. If you;re having problems with the bogie it may be due to a lack of weight over it? If not, check the back-to-back measurements, and failing that, it may be the finer treads of the wheels that are causing problems for the peco poitnwork? I don't pretend to know all the answers for such things, but obersving exactly HOW it derails on pointwork is always a good start- for example, are the flanges riding up the side of the rails without any other obvious cause? are the flanges catching the front frame extensions when going around corners (or their mudguards)?
thanks for the tips wehf100, to be honest she is running pretty well now :)

Well the first of the new engines arrived today. B1 'Wildebeeste'
This engine is from the mid to late 90's and isn't a split chassis B1, it is powered by what Bachmann call 'Super Smooth Fly Wheel', and it is possibly one of my best Bachmann runners.

I have lightly weathered her, added a touch of limescale around the cylinders and safety vavles.

Anyhow here she is in action

on the ECML

Racing through East Allerton

limescale on cylinders shows well here

passing the sheds on the approach to Eastcote Central
Tom Foster
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Love the Bongo weathering a mattish finish to the boiler and a touch of limescale on the cylinders, I see the shed foreman has had the cleaners take an oily rag to her nameplates.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

52D wrote:Love the Bongo weathering a mattish finish to the boiler and a touch of limescale on the cylinders, I see the shed foreman has had the cleaners take an oily rag to her nameplates.
thanks 52D, glad you like her :D

Well, new engines arrived today. But all has not run to plan.

I started by weathering the B1. Now although it was an already weathered version, it didn't match my weathered tender from Springbok I was going to use. So I added some nice browns to the mix. Anyhow I got it so it matched the tender, in doing this i had actually done something so stupid. I should have tested the engine first. Trouble is layout is in garage, weather is awful and I didn't particular want to keep going back and forth between the house and garage.

So I put the loco on the rails, and noticed that the right rear driving wheel bulged outward where the coupling rod joined, already beginning to worry. The loco is a very jerky runner once again.

I then had an idea, I took the bogies off this chassis, and added them to my springbok chassis (the bogies of which are now on my A2) now I knew spring bok was an awful runner, but had been given some advice of mick b (LNER) on MRF about adding WD40 to the axels. And now

I have my new B1 running smoothly although with a chassis from Springbok. It does mean that I can solve the jerkiness of this new chassis I have, but i would be interested if anyone knows how to get the bugle out of the rear wheel easily (i'm sure i read other B1s were like this) rather a let down Bachmann ::)

Anyhow enough ramberling, lets see some pictures.

the new B1 61016 'Inyala' looking rather grumby

tender from Sprinbok, made to look just as grubby.

and now compared to Wildebeeste which came earlier in the week, this has too been weathered
but only to look in working order, but still have the look that it has a clean once in a while, i copied i picture in a book i have 'Eastern Around London' for this particular B1

for comparison

the J-50/4 which I really love

on a short goods
anyhow, hope you enjoyed these latest additions to the layout :)
Tom Foster
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Tom i dont know if East Allerton has a station pilot but if it does'nt please consider a J72 with a paint job similar to the ones used at York & Newcastle Central with NER & BR crests on bunkers.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.