2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: NORTH EASTERN STEAM

Post by Tom F »

wehf100 wrote:please take this as a compliment- I'd say that is one 'old-school' layout! And much the better for it! Nothing better than watching LNER/BR-ER pacifics thunder along the track, even in the days they were prematurely subjected to hauling fitted freights et al.

But please please please repaint those skaledale models in something approaching BR NE region colours!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

Will
thanks Will, glad you like it

I have tried to make it as accurate will train loads as it's surposed to be the late 50's before the diesels took over the main line trains. Excepetion for the A3 with deflectors.

I'm afriad im keeping the station buildings the colour they are, as a homage to Goathland, as I'm a volunteer on the NYMR

Anyhow incase no one has seen it yet, please watch my latest video
"NORTH EASTERN STEAM" Episode 1 "A Day in the life of East Allerton"
it seems to have gone done very well :)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Thought you may like to see the progress on Picton Whiske Sheds

Ash Ballast down, need to get more though
New buildings, Water Tower, shed building and Sanding House with Chimney

we have yard lights too, so they and lights for in the engine shed shall be up before the weekend hopefully! :-)

Hope you like them! :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Well, I mentioned the lights for Picton Whiske, well here they are, and heres the sheds, in all there glory :-)

Anyhow I hope you guys like it, obviously though it's not finished, but it's ever closer to being ;)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: TomTank's Layout and Work Bench

Post by Tom F »

As you may see, I don't really make any model kits or scratch building.
Mainly because, im not really any good at making them, i find it too frustrating.

But I do have something planned:

this A3 '60039' Sandwich

is to become
picture used by kind permission of Bill Wright

I have have ordered with Ralph Jackson who makes Brass smoke deflectors and does some especially for 60097

I will update as i go along, but for now I wouldn't mind some tips on renumbering, i've heard surgical spirt is good for removing numbers, is this a good idea?
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

The first proper work on Humorist beigns!

Galtee More Arrived this morning, here she is with Smoke Deflectors removed (which was pretty easy to do)

The Conversion Begins!!!! ;D
Tom Foster
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Another fine layout. All you modelling guys are so talented, I should have been so blessed.

TomTank, I really enjoyed the video as well. Very well presented and congrats also to the sound mixing guys, and to Kevin MacLeod for his music. Your dad and grandma must be proud.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

giner wrote:Another fine layout. All you modelling guys are so talented, I should have been so blessed.

TomTank, I really enjoyed the video as well. Very well presented and congrats also to the sound mixing guys, and to Kevin MacLeod for his music. Your dad and grandma must be proud.

thanks giner, I very much appreciate your comments.

well today, has been well.....one of those days.

Basically I came to re numbering Galtee More to be 60097.

I asked advice on RMweb, and the best solution was to use a cotton wool bud and use surgical spirit as it doesn't remove the paint, just the numbers.

Well....it does remove the paint!

so after much help from Simon on Permanent Way Forum, it was suggested I touch up where the paint had been
removed. Luckly I have a paint which is darn close to Brunswick Green, here it is.. still wet.

I don't think it's looking too bad now, remember it will be varnished with gloss, then numbers added then matt varnish, plus light weathering.

this side wasn't looking too good either so was also touched up slightly

thoughts?
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Well I have been fiddling all afternoon with the smoke deflectors.

They are in place now, just with blue tak, I can't add them properly until the hand rails go on, which depending when they arrive should, be over the weekend.

Not a bad kit at all, simple to use, although I wish the hand rails and knobs had been included, and I luckly remembered to bend the tops of the smoke deflectors inwards.

Anyhow, I hope you like the pictures so far! :)

number plate on smoke box in place :)

and you may notice that both Humorist name plates are now on
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Well all my worries about recking the locos have subsided today, as i varnished with gloss this morning and have just added the numbers on one side, and you can't tell i touched it up!

I'm very pleased so far! :) the light is making it look slightly odd around the cab side, it looks fine though
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Just done the other side, heres the picture, she really is 60097 Humorist now :D

I do have a question, I have a picture of 60097 in BR Express Blue, and her works plate is underneith her cabside number, the pictures of her in 63 so no worksplate underneath cabside number.

I don't believe it ever went on her smoke delfectors. So does anyone know if it was underneith her cabside number during the period from 1957-1962?

I wouldn't mind some feedback guys, this my first modifications to any loco in this way.

And you guys are the LNER experts after all :lol:
Tom Foster
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hi Tom,

Don't worry about not getting any replies - we're not all going to post 'I don't know's. It can be a bit offputting when you get no replies to a thread - the thing to look at is the 'views' count. That tells you whether people are reading what you're doing or not.

I did have a glance through the 'Greenie' but there's no reference in there in the section regarding Humorist. Your best bet is a photo from that era. It may have gone inside the cab - IIRC that's where the 'Commonwealth' A4 had theirs. Yeadon may tell you as well -that's the kind of detail at which they excel.
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Nice work Tom! It's great to see you adding variation in to your stock. Hopefully you're on the slippery slope to kitbashing some other pacific variations, then on to the PDK peppercorn pacifics....?

There's so much variation on British grouped railways, especially the LNER, and that goes for coaching stock too. If you fancy a challenge in kitbuilding without diving in to a £200 pacific loco kit- how about making a rake of gresley carriages as accurate as possible to haul behind one of your locos? Even Kirk kits give enough variation to show something a bit more typical to the rather odd selection of prototypes Hornby came up with! In terms of etched brass kits, the Thompsons by Comet are quite simple compared to the Gresleys which require a good number of quite awkward (for the first timer) lap=joints.

Will
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

wehf100 wrote:Nice work Tom! It's great to see you adding variation in to your stock. Hopefully you're on the slippery slope to kitbashing some other pacific variations, then on to the PDK peppercorn pacifics....?

There's so much variation on British grouped railways, especially the LNER, and that goes for coaching stock too. If you fancy a challenge in kitbuilding without diving in to a £200 pacific loco kit- how about making a rake of gresley carriages as accurate as possible to haul behind one of your locos? Even Kirk kits give enough variation to show something a bit more typical to the rather odd selection of prototypes Hornby came up with! In terms of etched brass kits, the Thompsons by Comet are quite simple compared to the Gresleys which require a good number of quite awkward (for the first timer) lap=joints.

Will
Thanks for the comments Will

I must admit i have enjoyed the work so far on Humorist, apart from what happened yesterday, more of that in a bit.

Hmmm, don't know about coaches, they don't interest me enough.

See how Humorist goes first..... and I am having a model by PDK models built for me :)

Well

Humorist has certainly been showing she has a sense of humour this weeked, not the same humour as me obviously!

On Saturday morning I decided to spray the newly done cabsides with my Humbrol Matt Varnish

This single act.....was a disaster!
straight away the varnish began to crack a peel, destroying the new number decals

It seems this has happened for two reasons.

1. My own fault for rushing, it seems there was most likely moisture still on the area from putting the transfers on the day before.

2. The spray Matt Varnish reacted with the gloss varnish, the gloss was put on with a brush and takes 6 hours to dry properly, where as the Matt is an instant drying one.

So last night i had to strip the whole side down.

However, things are looking up today.
I have repainted the cabside, and I think it's looking pretty good, you can only slightly see a pit of the lining but i want to keep that as a guidance for when i add the fox transfer lining.

Also, I have added the brass knobs to the smoke deflectors
just waiting on the brass 0.4 wire to come now :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Today, the brass wire came, which I have added the smoke deflectors. I have got it as straight as I can, may try and have another fiddle with it.

The black primer will hopefully be here tomorrow, then she will really look the part! :)
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Ok, photo time

here she is on the table, ready to be taken to the layout in the garage :)

Here she is seen on the East Coast Main Line, approachinhg East Allerton

speeding through East Allerton

On Shed, next to Pepps A1 60144

Moving off shed with V2 60903 (Herbert) in the background

Hope you like these pics, and thank you once again for all your help
Tom Foster