Rapido GNR Vans

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Rapido GNR Vans

Post by mick b »

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rapido GNR Vans

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Very welcome. Rapido should only snap up a couple of the longer lived pre-group brake vans that would last n service onto BR(ER)
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Great news. Manufacturers have been so slow, to produce any GN loco's and stock.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

manna wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:31 pm ...Manufacturers have been so slow, to produce any GN loco's and stock...
After a prodigious C20th drought while the N2, GNR origin pacific and J52 were 'it', the last twenty-odd years have seen real improvement in RTR OO offerings: K3, A1, O2, J50, C1, Stirling single, announcements of Quad Arts, a new J52, and now these vans.

FWIW, I feel the GNR has long been in the (highly profitable) shadow of 'what Doncaster did next' in traction; but now that this prodigious seam has been near worked out - where's the P1? - the GNR's designs can have some exposure. Of traction the J6 tops my list, every steam railway model needs the ubiquitous 'maid of all work', and a much smaller tender loco than the class 6 rated K3 fills an obvious gap; and also a sustained campaign on the carriage stock is required.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

But for the extortionate prices now being asked for new RTR offerings, and the even more extortionate prices that are likely to follow, some of those who have gone to the lengths of building otherwise previously unavailable GNR stock to a good standard (either from good kits, poor kits, scratch or by conversions) might feel a little cheated by the prospect of effortless availability to all of good models. As it is, I think that price factor might just give past builders of these items enough reason to feel smug about the fact that they've already got them, and have no doubt learned along the way much more about the real things than would have been the case if they had simply bought ready-made models.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Alternatively, any like myself that never primarily wanted to run the locomotive carriage and wagon works, but had to; simply in order to have the stock to make the trains we wanted to operate, are likely to be happy. Spend some money, and effectively buy time to enjoy operating the layout. My various 'bashes', kit and scratch built items contrast rather well in their scruffiness with the crisper RTR productions, which reflects reality. Different strokes for different folks and all that.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Agreed. Oddly enough, I never wanted to develop stock-building skills, but as it was evident to me from an early stage (and for many years since) that building for myself was the only way to obtain models of my favourites, and models of those things that were necessary for anything approaching realism, so I accepted that I had to either learn, or do without. The time and effort that I have thus had to devote has in some way resulted in a form of addiction to the satisfaction that results from turning out a nice model that is not readily available to all. I rather suspect that having to build rather than merely buy also (very usefully in my case) slows down the spending and helps to encourage / maintain long term satisfaction with the resultant models.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I agree, with what you are saying, but Hornby have supplied the market with a GER, D16 & J15, Bachmann a D11 & J11, but wouldn't it be nice to have a corresponding pair for the GN, a D2 and a J6, just to even the playing field, there's even a J27 now on the market.

The D2 would look good with Hornby's Suburban stock, Green or Black, I don't care. :D

manna

PS. Sorry to go off topic. D2 with GN vans then ! :P
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Woodcock29
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Woodcock29 »

I think I actually agree somewhat with all of you.

I certainly don't scratchbuild as much as Graeme does but I've done a lot of kit building and kit bashing over the years and earlier this year I had the opportunity to use a couple of 3D printed GN vans (files from Phil Brighton of this site and printed locally by a friend in Adelaide) but of the shorter 18ft length including one van with the sliding doors so if I do buy a couple of Rapido vans it simply ads to the variety, noting I've had a couple D&S 19 ft vans running since the mid 80s with one more to build plus a second-hand one from a friend a couple of years ago.

I need to study these Rapido vans carefully as maybe I can convert one into an exGN refrigerator van to add to my meat train - I do already have 3 of these from D&S but of course running plastic bodied vans at the rear can make a very nice long train.

So far I've noted that I think the vacuum pipes on the Rapido images we've seen are swayed to the wrong side. My mind tells me they should be swayed to the side with two V hangers not the vac cylinder side. However, I'm not at home this week so can't check my Tatlows. Easy to fix of course.

Andrew
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm certainly not suggesting that the RTR manufacturers should not offer these models, but I am relieved by the thought that I (and presumably some others in similar situations) won't need to spend the probably not-small fortune required in order to obtain them.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

E bay is your friend!! I have picked up two Rapido Gunpower Vans so far for under £15 each. No way will I ever pay £33 for a Van or Wagon.

Patience is a virtue :D
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Indeed. If a ready made item is necessary, then a long wait for the right price, either on eBay or from an over-stocked retailer, becomes acceptable!