Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by john coffin »

More to do with you working hard for as long as 40 minutes methinks.

Looking very good as usual Dave,
Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Paul, I think 40 mins is a bit long, that sounds like being at work.

A long long time ago when the world was more normal (was it ever) and the conservatives had not crashed the economy,
in fact way back on the 7th Jan 2019 on page 49 I started to build a Comet triplet. Well nothing has been done on it for
some considerable time. Until this weekend bogies primed and painted plus the centre vehicle and the outer first have
been primed and painting started. Wonders will never cease, work on the bodies may well commence this year.
Attachments
IMG_7433.JPG
IMG_7432.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well doesn't time fly and I thought it was only the other day I had posted an update.
So the buffet car roof alarm gear has been made and a couple of coats of white paint sprayed on, then weathering has started with a couple of very thinned down coats of Vallejo black grey. The interior is finished as far as I'm going. and finally the roof is fixed in position.
Still to finish lighting connectors and V hangers and vac cyl.
Attachments
20240608_164800.jpg
20240611_101536.jpg
20240611_101524.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I forgot to mention the triplet.
The 1st class underframe has now had it's vac pipe added and paper strips added form the clips, these were coated in superglue
to give them some strength. They are over long and will be cut back.
Attachments
20240703_154716.jpg
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Excellent Dave, more from the master!

Graeme
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Graeme, nice to talk tonight.

Not much modelling done due to the warm weather, I'm now a redbrown colour a bit like teak.
But as the buffet car is awaiting me to order some MJT vacc cyls (I seem to have lost all I had) I thought the roof looked a bit bare,
so looking at drawings and photo's I've added the roof handles for the water filler and the vent pipe. The weathering will have to catch up.

The photo's show up where there needs some paint touch up.......as always :lol:
Attachments
20240721_202424.jpg
20240721_202407.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Whilst waiting to order the V hanger and vac cyl for the buffet car, I have been working on an old Kirk
non vestibule 4 compartment brake 3rd. This was given to me many years ago sometime in the 90's. I had stripped it
down to it's component parts and striped the original BR maroon livery and put it in a box and forgot about it.
I found it again recently and decided to rebuild assemble it. The body is assembled and the partitions added,
and given the body a teak finish using some very old thinned down Cherry Paints Golden Teak.
Attachments
IMG_7451.JPG
IMG_7452.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I had binned the original Kirk bogies when I got the carriage, so I was going to make up a set of MJT ones, then I decided
I would try and use some Bachmann Gresley ones I have had for sometime........but how to fit them as they have a large mounting
hole. That was the question and the reason for not using them before. I had fitted and glued in place some metric bolts when
I had stripped down the carriage which are a bit bigger than 8ba that I normally would use.
I found some brass tube that just fitted the hole, a short length was cut to form a washer. Then I found a further piece of tube
that just fitted over the first to use as stop, to stop the bogie falling off the first tube. This bit of tube had to take the bolt
but had too large an internal hole. Amazingly the washers on the MJT bogie fret were just the o/a size of that tube, so one was
soldered to the tube to form a cup. The 8ba hole was then reamed out to suit the bolt. The whole assembly was fitted a nut
added to secure it all and to my amazement it all worked, the bogie is kept in place and rotates freely.
1st pic the bogie with large hole.
2nd pic the washer, cup and nut.
3rd pic the whole assembly.
4th pic bogie with washer.
5th pic cup & washer
6th pic Fitted.
I think the pics explain it all.
Attachments
01 bogie.JPG
02 washer, cup & nut.JPG
03 the whole assembly.JPG
04 bogie with washer.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The rest of the pics 5 & 6
Attachments
05 cup and nut.JPG
06 fitted.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The Brake 3rd has had solebars made from Evergreen channel with the bottom flange cut off and a thin strip added to
represent the bulb. Door glazing fixed and some transfers added. In the photo you can see the bogie fixing more clearly.
Also in the works for repair is a Kirk corridor 3rd, which has had a bit of rough treatment. The works imps are furious that the
work they did sometime ago was treated so badly by the storage gremlins. I fear trouble may be ahead between them.
Attachments
IMG_7455.JPG
IMG_7456.JPG
IMG_7458.JPG
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

we all know you just like beating yourself up :twisted:

nice work as usual Dave.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Paul, beating myself up, that made I larf.

Another carriage in for a quick repair, a window fell out, I fear war between the works imps and the storage gremlins.
Attachments
IMG_7459.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The window was repaired and the carriage was taken to see Atlantics great erection.

So it is now in storage again with better packing.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Whilst on with refurbing the non vestibule brake 3rd I rememberd 2 sets of twins I had been given.
On Saturday Jonathan confirmed they were 2 twin sets. I had thought they might be but the builder was renound
for botching. It was the twin 3rds that I was unsure about, the brake and comp set I knew were a Dia 107 &108.
This set will be rebuilt and detailed.
The pics show them as they are now.
Attachments
IMG_7460.JPG
IMG_7462.JPG
IMG_7461.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Disaster struck the brake 3rd part of the twin whilst being stripped down.
The works manager and chief forman imps have been shot their replacments on bended knees
inform me that it's repairable. The storage gremlins are wetting themselve larfing at their demise.
Attachments
IMG_7463.JPG