West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by 52D »

jwealleans wrote:The lifting loops on top of the container, the locking bars down each door and on some of them the little door retaining hooks, but then I stopped when I realised they were a bit too small to see.

If you do get some let me know, I can email you a pdf for the transfers.
Thanks JW.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I spent a lot of last week lettering containers and much of the weekend securing them, so tonight it was time for a test run. I've got four of the eventual six more or less complete. I've also lettered the GC open while the transfers were out.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

All you need now is Green Arrow up front !!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Rather a nice finish on those humble blocks of resin.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

They've scrubbed up nicely, haven't they?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Last of the securing chains attached this evening. Before I paint everything black, here's a look at how I did it and the parts used.

Chain is from Ambis, CL40 40 lpi. Turnbuckles are also Ambis, ref. CS2. The ring is bent up from .33 wire round a drill and cut off then soldered closed once the turnbuckle is inside. All the bits are attached using very thin copper wire which I took out of an offcut of mains flex. There's a loop on the ring at the bottom of the turnbuckle with a long tail twisted up on it. That goes through a hole in the wagon floor and is then pulled taut while a drop of cyano is applied to hold it. Once it's set then the eyes on the corners of the container can be bent gently back to make it all fully taut. The idea and direction for the bits came from Mick Moore, whose article in MRJ 177 is well worth a read.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Extra-neat work with the soldering iron JW.

I will have you soldering bolections into D&S NER carriage and horsebox kits yet.

Why did Danny do it that way.....?

BTW is it Dan or Danny, all letters to me are signed Dan Pinnock?

The last point is not serious just a ?

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Excellent work there JW and thanks for the ref for the chain, I have the other bits.

JASd17, I always thought Dan was Paul..... :)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

One more part to add to each of the screw couplings?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:I spent a lot of last week lettering containers and much of the weekend securing them, so tonight it was time for a test run. I've got four of the eventual six more or less complete.
Just gorgeous :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

manna wrote:G'day Gents

All you need now is Green Arrow up front !!

manna
We're working on that... :wink:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

One more part to add to each of the screw couplings?
The last lot of screw couplings I've had from Smiths have had longer, thinner track pins as T bars, which have a tendency to fall out. I've stopped bothering putting them in until I find some different ones to use.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Had a good evening tonight.

G7 Road Van, another of Danny's. The thing is basically built as you can see, but now needs the strapping adding and then the whitemetal castings. The instructions suggest doing the strapping while the sides are in the flat, but I think it's less likely to be damaged this way. It also means I complete the soldering before I get the cyano near it.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Cyano? I Thought a man of your calibre would solder the strapping in place....

I presume that was what Dan had in mind when suggesting the sequence.

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thats the way I built mine, tried to solder the strapping and failed, cyano is a lot easier. I just need to add a few details and paint, in fact I have the bits with me a work, I just keep forgetting to bring the body. Dont forget to add the oil pots and pipes.