West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: West End Workbench

Post by will5210 »

Excellent stuff!
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Fantastic stuff JW :D

For info, the BV is a through working from Nottingham to King's Cross.

The Sentinel looks great - a great short-to-mid term solution for a little shunting conundrum...

Look forward to seeing all the stock in action on the layout.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Danby Wiske
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Danby Wiske »

jwealleans wrote:Oh, it will, but no more than 20 at a time.
When it's not too busy substituting for a failed A4, presumably? :wink:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

An amazing amount of preparation of convincingly weathered money-earning locos and loads of rolling stock. It must be far more than I've done. I'm glad to see the ejector pipes eradicated from the O4/3 conversions, although if I put my pedantic "orifice's" hat on, the rib at the rear of the cab roof should be moved far enough forward to accommodate a rolled tarpaulin behind it, when required.....

BTW, I've finally started putting the other dozen or so App-Frod ironstone hoppers together. I presume we are still endeavouring to make some sense of our available coal wagons this weekend too?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

700 wagons behind a loco....bet it slips to a stand at 701, Awesome :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Moving roof ribs was just a bit too much commitment. I can always add a rolled tarpaulin behind the existing one although I confess I hadn't noticed any on the photos I looked at. I thought they were largely a wartime and after addition?

Reading the latest addition to the passenger sequence, I see we may need to discuss a new requirement for a 6 wheel GN PBV as well.

Coal wagons are definitely on the agenda for the weekend.

Manna - you'll need to speak to Mr King about his P1 if you want 700 wagons pulling at once.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

There's a pic of a J81 with a storm sheet attached to the cab weatherboard dated 1923.

The loco was withdrawn in 1924 so tarpaulins dated to at least then.

The was video of an exhibition including Atlantic 3279 and his P1 double heading with a second P1. They must have been able to pull a huge train.

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

In the post-show lull after Grantham, been catching up on the gardening and DIY which has been neglected for some weeks. I also started some work for Scottiedog which has been in the queue. This NER G4 Road Van is a Dan Pinnock kit - I was going to say 'from a recent production', but I've had it almost two years and I don't know how long Scottiedog had it before that. Anyway, it's pretty much all done bar the shouting. Canny kit, as they all are, went together over 3 evenings with few problems.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Another one from the same batch (same box, in fact) for Scottiedog. NER Diagram G4 Tranship van. This is basically the same body as the G6 with different doors and bracing. This one put up a bit more of a fight due to the etches having been dropped (I suspect) which had caused the strapping to fold up and crease in places. Not too unhappy with it in the end, though.

Beamish have one of these:

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I have one of those to build, so keep posting the pics, watching with interest.
Scottiedog is very lucky to have you building his kits (he tells me he builds his models :wink: :lol: ).
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

That Dave's a cheeky so and so - I'm being polite here just in case I get into trouble with the powers that be. I only get JW to do the odd one or two for me when a true craftsman's skills are required! Anyway he's much younger than me and as I am getting on to be an old codger I need someone to help me get through the mountain of kits I've still got to build! Creep, creep, crawl, crawl. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, crawling will get you.... these.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I'm on my knee's to..........but now I've got to get back up again :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks JW looking forward to finished pics.

Sorry Scottiedog I'm in the same boat as you, too many kits and too little time, mind you it's a long time since I was called a so and so :lol: .
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

JW - superb, as usual. A true craftsman, indeed! Will be in touch shortly to arrange collection. :D
Dave - I will be doing a little bid of work on them i.e. lettering, weathering, etc. after which I will post photographs of the finished articles. I won't tell you what's next on the cards! :wink: