West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

The controller is in fact a functional replacement, except that the green light on the front no longer glows.

I've learned to live without it.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Courtesy of LNER4479, the insulated container and flat running on Grantham for the first time over the weekend. Chains and shackles from Ambis.

Now all I need to do is complete the other 5 by the end of next month.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Container van looks excellent, and the carriages above too.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thank you, Dave. I shall be in touch when I next print off some transfers.

Thurston is out at the end of the month, off to the seaside (Southwold) for its last show. I like to try to take something new each time we go out and there's been quite a bit of RTR which is appropriate recently. Just off the bench, I photted these in the garden this evening.

The Bachmann grain wagons. I'd like to think that now these are out all the horrible Wrenn and Dapol ones will disappear. Probably not.

Bogie bolster, now with load attached. This has gone out of focus, not quite sure what it's decided to concentrate on. I'll try to do a replacement.

LMS horsebox. I like this, don't be surprised to see some more appear. I have a photo of 14 in a hunt special in Suffolk, so there's no reason why not.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

jwealleans wrote:. I'd like to think that now these are out all the horrible Wrenn and Dapol ones will disappear. Probably not.

From Thurston, or the whole world? :D

Horsebox looks well, weathering brings out the underframe in particular.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

From the world, ultimately, but I'd settle for Thurston for now.

The underframe on that horsebox is pretty good. Now I've seen the photo I may do a bit more to it but it's worth highlighting, whoever tooled that up did a good job.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Don't say that about the Wrenn/Dapol grain wagons--------------I've just made up a rake for the Welwyn wheat train, and before you say that Welwyn is nowhere near Edgware........it got lost :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, there you go, Manna, you've hit it on the head. The old ways are always the best.... we'll Transport them!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Cheers Jonathan, I will get round to mine soon.

Those other wagons are looking very nice.

Now transporting things to Oz one way sounds a good idea.
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

LNER4479 wrote:
jwealleans wrote:The Bachmann grain wagons. I'd like to think that now these are out all the horrible Wrenn and Dapol ones will disappear. Probably not.
Ahhh - having run the rule over said ancient grain hoppers, I see potential for cut-and-shuts on modified Parkside chassis.

Watch out for a tread on this 'dreckly', as we say here in the Duchy - but don't hold your breath !!

Regards,
John Isherwood.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I should point out that the repainted hopper above was lettered using John's transfers. There's also a section on lengthening the Dapol/Wrenn hopper in one of Geoff Kent's books, I believe. Not a job I'll be taking on anytime soon.

I've been doing a bit more weathering here and there:

Hornby J15 reworked. 65467 was the loco in the Ian C Allen picture of the Chipman weedkilling train which gave me the idea to model it, so I was always going to end up with that one by one means or another. It has been repainted and weathered, had S & W goalposts fitted and now just awaits crew and a little bit of final dirtying up. It looks a bit high at the cab end as well, I'll have to have a look at that. Spot this one shunting the yard at Southwold.

LMS Stove ready for the parcels train. This needs a bit more work - brakes for a start, but I've misfiled the castings I bought - but it will get an outing at Southwold anyway.

I'm pleased with the MOY wagon, even if it is still a foot too long. This has also had an S & W goalpost fitted at one end so we can use it as an adaptor vehicle. I see the camera has slipped it onto soft focus - Perhaps trying to hide that bent lever guard?

Pair of unfitted vans. The left hand one can run on both Thurston and Grantham. That is from a K's kit, with replacement brake gear and roof. The right one is an adapted Parkside and will go onto Grantham, for which a Kadee box has been fitted.

Couple for Grantham - the gas tank sits in the yard looking decorative while the jubilee wagon may be seen heading south, depending on final selection.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

jwealleans wrote:... There's also a section on lengthening the Dapol/Wrenn hopper in one of Geoff Kent's books, I believe. Not a job I'll be taking on anytime soon.

]
There is. He lengthened one, then scratchbuilt several more because he felt it would be easier. That's Geoff :)

(and he's very probably right)
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Larvly wagons sir (not that the J15 isn't equally as exquisite). :D

Looks like I could do with a couple of those Parkside kits - for use as grounded van bodies for various assorted makeshift messrooms / store rooms around the depot...
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Not sure about using the Parkside kit for grounded vans on Grantham 'LNER4479'.

More likely to be older GNR vans than, relatively new, LNER examples in the late 1930s I would have thought?

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Are there any pictures we can amuse ourselves identifying?

The D & S kit for a GN O/F van is probably a bit too sought after for grounding these days, but I'm sure it can't be too hard to scratchbuild....