West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Phil Brighton
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Phil Brighton »

The small smoking/and no smoking signs really do finish off those coaches nicely. In the sets from Precision Decals do you only get about 10 of each LNER type per pack? If so would anyone else be up for seeing if the same company would do pages of just LNER ones?

Cheers

Phil
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Yes. Count me in.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I don't have an unstarted pack to count, but I think it's nearer 20 of each.

Which ones would you request? As for the 1930s both the gold circle and red triangle are valid for 'No Smoking', the one I usually run out of is the blue 'Smoking' one.
Phil Brighton

Post by Phil Brighton »

I had in my mind the blue ones and the circle ones but I would have thought a huge number of each could be crammed onto a page even if it was all three types
The Green Engine
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by The Green Engine »

I would certainly be very keen.

Thanks

Matt
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

So, some more wagons this evening. Mr. King's container and wagon are looking much more the part - time for me to get my finger out and make the transfers.

I've also been working on some coal wagons. I was told we didn't need any more for Grantham for the moment, but I thought these two deserved to be pushed up the queue.

I haven't seen much if any comment on the Bachmann grain hoppers over here, odd considering how useful they must be for anyone in the early to mid BR era. Mine came last week and having had them to bits (of course) I don't think they're a bad job at all. The underframe has a void moulded in to form the hopper bottom, which is ideal for liquid lead.

The body comes apart and has a seam along the top of the stanchions which has caused some adverse comment. I found one of mine had a larger gap than the others, which was rectified by taking the top off and fitting it back the other way round. The seam all but vanished with some plastic weld run into it.

This has been repainted and renumbered using CCT's sheet and based on an official photo on the RMWeb thread with no black patches. I may acquire some more of these if and when they lose their novelty and start to come down in price a bit.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

See my separate thread for information about carriage window transfers.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

jwealleans wrote:...I haven't seen much if any comment on the Bachmann grain hoppers over here, odd considering how useful they must be for anyone in the early to mid BR era. ... I may acquire some more of these if and when they lose their novelty and start to come down in price a bit.
My mixture of modified Hornby and Wrenn won't be withdrawn until this event. Wondering if I can bash these oldies about a little more to make some more variety, the ex-GW V25 diagram one candidate. Now, did the SR have a grain hopper design of its very own?
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Jonathan.
Meat container and wagon looking good, still got to start mine.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

jwealleans wrote:
The body comes apart and has a seam along the top of the stanchions which has caused some adverse comment. I found one of mine had a larger gap than the others, which was rectified by taking the top off and fitting it back the other way round. The seam all but vanished with some plastic weld run into it.
The seam or overlap (where the 'roof' rolls down into the bodyside) is correct, at least for the unfitted wagons; it's admittedly less prominent on the vac piped batch. But to me, a more significant point has been missed by other critics - it's not so much the (barely visible) gap around the stanchion top that draws the eye, but that that top isn't actually at the top - the stanchion should reach all the way to the higher edge of that seam. Although it's extremely minimal - half a mill or so - I believe it would have made a difference by covering something that shouldnt be visible.

That said, an early bit of paint sloshing on two of mine confirms what I thought - that the 'fresh air' around the stanchion top, being naturally in shadow, disappears once a suitable rust gloop is worked onto it.
I may acquire some more of these if and when they lose their novelty and start to come down in price a bit.
The way things are going, they could just as easily rise. I reckon they're a fair twenty quid's worth (not that I'd lecture anybody on how to play RTR pricing roulette). Although I could foresee the grey TOPS-lettered one sticking a bit; folk tend not to understand these transitional eras.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Oh yes - LOVE the local (Grantham) trader coal wagons. Deffo for the depiction of the local coal traffic... :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Grantham running weekend looms and it's time to get things ready. I spent what time I had at the weekend working up transfers for this:

I had to do them again as the formatting on the ones I drew up some months ago had gone screwy. I see the number has fallen off the flat. There's no varnish on these yet - the Crafty Computer paper film is a bit thicker than the professional ones but half a dozen light coats of varnish flattens them in nicely.

The other job is checking the carriage formations and making sure couplings are at the right ends, Kadee bogies available where required and so on. Tonight I went over Teak Set 3.

The set starts as the 10:15 KX - Leeds. Here we see the leading GN BCK for Harrogate, the Leeds Twin with reduced accommodation for this purpose, BFK/BG for Bradford and the final BTK for Hull. That's a temporary carriage - the final 5 compartment BTK is awaiting bogies from Dart Castings.

Here is the up return working, 17:30 Keeds - KX. I've parked the loco at the wrong end of this, having read the consist backwards. The far BCK for Hull should lead, followed by the BG working back from Bradford, the Twin, then a portion (BTK - TK - BCK) from Harrogate.

A useful exercise in that it reminded me there were no end corridor connectors on the Quint, I have some footsteps to paint, one or two bogies to swap around and some interiors to fit. Tomorrow, time and weather permitting, we'll do the same for set 5.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

Hatfield Shed wrote: My mixture of modified Hornby and Wrenn won't be withdrawn until this event. Wondering if I can bash these oldies about a little more to make some more variety, the ex-GW V25 diagram one candidate.
Well - I've run the rule over the HD / Wrenn / Dapol GRAIN hopper body, and the new Bachmann model. I reckon that with some cutting and shutting, plus adjusted Parkside chassis, they can be lengthened and detailed to stand being in the same train as the new model.

Watch this forum - but DON'T hold your breath !!

Regards,
John Isherwood.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

t'container wagon looks a good un - not that the coaches pale into insignificance by any means.

Blimey, you've still got one of those 1970s Hornby controllers.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:Grantham running weekend looms and it's time to get things ready.

The other job is checking the carriage formations and making sure couplings are at the right ends, Kadee bogies available where required and so on. Tonight I went over Teak Set 3.

The set starts as the 10:15 KX - Leeds. Here we see the leading GN BCK for Harrogate, the Leeds Twin with reduced accommodation for this purpose, BFK/BG for Bradford and the final BTK for Hull. That's a temporary carriage - the final 5 compartment BTK is awaiting bogies from Dart Castings.
You had me worried there for a moment - then I realised that you've only assembled 2 out of the 5 Quint vehicles for the purpose of the photograph. Phew!

Some great formations there methinks?

3279 - I think you've commented on that owd controller before. And I seem to recall a retort along the lines of '...which, in the true traditions of latter day British engineering, has given up the ghost' :lol:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)