West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Lovely work JW, but where are you getting all these Kirk kits ??????????

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Did you not know? I have the Strategic Reserve.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

jwealleans wrote:Did you not know? I have the Strategic Reserve.
That comment was made for a like button lol
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Courage, mon brave!

On case you're in need of inspiration, this was running at the Moors on Sunday. Recently out-shopped, I believe?
IMG_3645.JPG
IMG_3624_LR.jpg
IMG_3644_LR.jpg
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That's the one they bent in the runaway, isn't it? Pleased to see it's back in service.

Was the one the chap restored on a farm - BTK(4) 3669 running as well? I'd like to get up there and catch a ride in that over the summer.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

'Strategic reserve', you mean, your hiding them in Stoke tunnel. ?????????????? :lol: :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Not quite.... they won't all fit.
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Our train had one of the TSOs, the buffet (641) and the 43567 in it, the latter being used as a disabled coach (hence the ramp in the last of the above pictures)
IMG_3632_LR.jpg
Didn't see any others running - looked to be a rake with teaks in down the sidings at the bottom end of Grosmont
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Nice pics, thanks. 'Oh to be in England, now that April's there', and all that.
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Further pics now posted in the 'LNER Photographs' section. :wink:
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I think we'll be on the first train out of Grosmont on Bank Holiday Monday, unless the weather is truly awful (and we might still go anyway - that's what Bank Holidays are all about).

On more mundane matters, some vehicles have now moved to the paint shop. You can see how rough the teak finish can look when part way through the process. The BG looks much the best, the only difference being that it's had a coat of varnish.

I have run out of bits for the other BTK (buffers and roof vents) so that's waiting for Dart Castings to send their next delivery through.

Most of this week's effort has been on this:

Great Northern D218 BCK (3-3). I acquired this from Mr Pulham of this parish when he went all Senior on us and I confess to having looked at it a few times and then put it away again. There are no instructions with it - not having built a Kemilway kit before, I don't know if this is the usual state of affairs. What you do get are very detailed drawings and a very thorough list and diagram of what's on each etch. I'm afraid I shall be a great disappointment to the kit designer as I've already altered it so it assembles in my preferred fashion, I've decided life simply isn't long enough to attempt their roof and I shall probably substitute MJT cast bits for a lot of the underpinnings and leave the rest off. Respect for including all those bits, but I haven't the time, even were I so inclined, to work out where they all go, especially when they're invisible in traffic.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

Jonathon,

You mean you haven't downloaded the Kemilway instruction manuals off their web site? Hope you have plenty of paper in your printer ! lol

In fairness the instructions are for the 7mm kits, but can be a little helpful on the 4mm etches in places.

SteveT
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I hadn't even noticed them, but now you've pointed them out I shall choose a quiet moment at work this morning and study. Not that I expect it will make a great deal of difference, given how far I've got with it, but you can never do too much research. Thank you kindly.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Steady progress - this is a busy time of year other than at the modelling bench - has brought us closer to finishing. I'm still waiting for my last Dart Castings order - disappointing, that - and my colleague Mr Bolton hasn't advised as yet that he's fired up his Silhouette cutter and produced my interior partitions. Plenty else to get on with, though.

I did read the Kemilway instructions and then largely disregarded them. The result is still a nice looking carriage. Not much more can be done to this until the torpedo vents turn up. I can't even order a packet from Andrew to finish it off as the Comet ones are smaller.

BG just needs the handles and handrails fitting and a back putting on the battery boxes.

TK and BCK awaiting bogies. The corridor handrail in that TK has sagged, I see.

I spent much of today making corridor connectors, which have been missing on most of the carriages since I ran out last year. I haven't counted round but if I haven't made enough now then I shan't be many short.

I've also been dressing and painting seats:

First class need the antimacassars adding. I've tried to represent the moquette patterns for pos-1930 stock but the red-pink one has dried far too pale and needs doing again. The LNERCA don't seem to illustrate samples on their website, but there are some shown on a display board on Pickering station. It was too dark to photograph when I was last there so these are done from memory.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

I know it is nothing to do with your latest carriages, but did you manage to see first hand the patterns for the Coronation stock on display at York on Saturday? They were not behind glass. Russ took some photos.

I took a couple of photos of the autograph book signed on 27-09-1935 for the SJ press run. What a document to see!

Thanks to the NRM staff for a great LNER weekend.

John