West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:Another day, another D175. Getting very bored with these.
Well, if you fancy installing endless point motors then we could always swap monotonous jobs if you like? :(

Just think of all them lovely wagon kits to be worked on once the workbench is clear of coaches. Me? I'm looking forward to seeing these magnificent rakes of coaches strutting their stuff on the layout. :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Just think of all them lovely wagon kits
I am.

One of these came on Saturday, I have one of these to build for someone else, as well as one of these. That's without the containers Mr King cast up for me and the cattle wagons someone asked for....

How I find time to go to work beats me sometimes. I have enlisted Mr Bolton's cutting device to speed things up a little though.

BTW, saw Mr Middleditch yesterday - he tells me the J54 is coming along nicely. I have suggested he think about a runner for additional pickups as Tony did for the J69.
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:
BTW, saw Mr Middleditch yesterday - he tells me the J54 is coming along nicely. I have suggested he think about a runner for additional pickups as Tony did for the J69.
...or he could install com-pen-say-shun as per 3279's J50 that was briefly seen negotiating the Grantham single and double slips yesterday without the slightest hesitation. This demonstration was witnessed by one Mr Wright and a 'lively' discussion ensued regarding the merits of compensating versus hard wiring to a runner wagon. I just sat back and listened. Great sport :lol:

If the J54 is to have a runner then would be good to be a van / horse box type vehicle as that is the sort of work envisaged for it.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:
I am.

One of these came on Saturday, I have one of these to build for someone else, as well as one of these. That's without the containers Mr King cast up for me and the cattle wagons someone asked for....
Of course, if you ever get really bored, you could try building one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqeSDYMGSzs#t=445
LNER4489
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by LNER4489 »

That bogie wagon looks lovely, the second of the 3 "these" above. What diagram is it and was it a kit ? Thanks, Tom.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The wagon is a North Eastern Diagram G7 25T Road Van. That picture is actually a scratchbuilt one and I think it's 2mm. It just happened to be the first photo I found. This, by Paul Gallon, is a better picture of the 4mm kit which is by D & S. I have built one in the past but I find I don't have a photo of it. They were a very distinctive and distinctively North Eastern wagon (although the L & Y had some which were very similar).
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

you could try building one of these
You might have to enlarge the fiddle yard if I do. Will it fit under the Great North Road?
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:
you could try building one of these
You might have to enlarge the fiddle yard if I do. Will it fit under the Great North Road?
If it attempted to fit under the Great North Road (bridge) then I think it would end up transporting the Great North Road (bridge) :lol:
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Still on with the D175s. These 3 are all about ready for final varnishing (Klear).

42879 (Comet) will be the Hull portion of Teak Set 3 down.

42777 (Kirk) is part of the main (Newcastle) portion of Teak Set 5 working down the first time.

An unexpected third carriage has joined the ranks - Locomotion were (and still are) selling Hornby teak carriages at £25. They're the post war version, here R4598:

Note the lack of lining, '1' in the windows, and frankly rather disappointing teaking.

42780 will form the Halifax carriage in Teak Set 5 down 2 - this set only works down and is remarshalled between appearances. Apart from the obvious repaint, the 1 has been removed from the glazing, wire corridor handrails will be added, it's been adapted at one end to couple to the Bill Bedford coupling I use and I'll replace the handles with MJT.

Off to York tomorrow - I look forward to seeing some of you there.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Grantham running session this weekend - first of the year - so I've been getting my (metaphorical) ducks in a row....

LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Phwoooaarrrrrr! 8)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Still here, still building brake composites. The end does appear to be in sight, though. Once these are all done, I'll be concentrating on getting the rakes we refer to as Teak Set 3 complete ready for the Grantham Show in September. Once that's done I'll be working on other things. The second set, set 5, will be finished some time next year.

So this is the last of the D134/175 Brake Compos:

This will be 42874 of 1936 which is the Lincoln carriage in Set 5, second time round. I have a feeling this one is detached at Grantham, so it will need Kadee couplings (or NEM pockets at least) fitting. I have some Bachmann bogies for that purpose.

For Set 3 there are 4 outstanding vehicles to complete.

BTK 41355 (D37A) of 1936 is the Hull portion of the Up working.

In the down working there should be a D114 BTK, 41360, destined for Harrogate. This will be substituted by this newer D212 BTK.

Finally I've started BG 4034 of 1929, This works both ways, to and from Bradford, but oddly (and authentically) isn't at the end of the rake but one coach in from the end in each direction.

These are (fairly obviously) Kirk kits, but with Paxolin floors so the underworks can be soldered on and solebars from 1/8" Evergreen channel.

There's going to be a delay in getting the 8'6" bogies for these from Dart Castings (the sharp-eyed may notice that they're all photographed on the same pair of bogies) so apart from the BG (8' Fox) and the BCK with Bachmann ones, we may end up waiting on those.

The last outstanding item is a GN BCK, but that's a Kemilway kit and a whole new adventure in its own right.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

jwealleans wrote:
The last outstanding item is a GN BCK, but that's a Kemilway kit and a whole new adventure in its own right.
I will look forward to that, I really must get back to mine especially as I have an offer to have them painted professionally as a subject in a new book on painting and lining.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Hi

Could you please tell me what you used to line the coaches? I was thinking of using Rotring pens but paint would clog them up and so it would have to be ink but I don't know if the colour would stay.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Morning,

I use a Bob Moore pen to line.