Hornby LNER J15

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hornby LNER J15

Post by 65447 »

Woodcock29 wrote:I don't have a scale drawing of a J15 and am wondering what the dome height should be as it looks a trifle too tall? The loco is fitted with the tallest variety of LNER cast iron chimney.

The other observation I have is that maybe the tender frames are too widely spaced or maybe just because of the plastic thickness - the axleboxes appear too shallow in depth.
I collected mine yesterday and they are really exquisite models, better-detailed than the Continental and US models that used to be the complaint that 'British' manufacturers should be aspiring too.

The GERS drawings by John Gardner (c1923) and Lyn Brooks do not give height of dome. In any event there is not a fixed height as it depends on type of boiler amongst other things.

All of the recent Hornby models have 'shallow' axleboxes and springs, but this just appears more noticeable on the J15 tenders (I state in the plural because Hornby has provided both the 'D' slot and parallel slot variants). Part in due as suggested by the thickness of plastic of the frames themselves, but perhaps also because sufficient allowance might have been made for conversion to EM/S4?

With the D16/3 to come and the B17 'Sandringhams', Hornby has the components of all the various GE tenders - save the very early types and the oil-burner bodies - so one less reason why the B12 should not now be reworked to an accurate model and the J17 for example would be an easy addition, whilst the reported haulage capacity with the die-cast body probably resolves any concerns about adhesion and traction for an E4.

Without getting into wishlisting, some models of the long-lasting GE corridor coaching stock would be icing on the cake...
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

I picked up the two J15s from Hatton's today and noticed an error straight away with the number, the 7 in 7524 is larger than the other numbers. It is lined up on the top but is clearly a thicker, larger font.

Furthermore, being black, shouldn't the letters and numbers be in shaded yellow and not shaded gold as on this model?

Re: the shop, there wasn't as much new stock on display as usual, more second hand stock and even several empty display cases.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Unless they have a pre-war colour photo of the J15 in question then the answer has to be that Hornby have made a fundamental error with the lettering colour, if indeed it is gold. I still haven't seen one, so I don't know if they are all wrong like that, and whether the seven that looks wrong to you is as it should be or otherwise. If the errors are confirmed then they represent a very disappointing lack of attention to correct LNER finish on the part of Hornby. Maybe the final livery checking and approval was done by somebody with no proper knowledge of, or interest in, LNER matters?

Not a problem for those willing and able to change the insignia of course, but should one have to when the price is the thick end of a ton for a small goods engine?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

I agree Atlantic. The money you pay, you shouldn't have to go changing things unless it's maybe one digit, if you bought two or more. The lettering is definitely gold. The cost of one J15 is more than a P2.

http://www.hornby.com/shop/j15-class/ln ... -1948.html

Hover over the picture and it magnifies. You can see the colour and large 7 quite easily.

Also, the buffer stocks are black. Is that correct?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Looks yellow to me ?? The Seven is too large and the next number too high. Who knows if this is a production example ? Real shame re the slot in the lower Boiler barrel.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Hattons picture from here: Hornby LNER J15 Agreed the 7 is larger - but the colour of the lettering and numerals looks yellow to me, not gold.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

I have two in the flesh as it were and it's definitely gold. If it was yellow, it would be brighter.

As I said earlier, go into the Hornby link and hover over the picture.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

I think that there might be some over-exaggeration here. For those fortunate enough to have a copy of The Big Four in Colour 1935-50, of which jasd17 of this parish was a co-compiler, you will see that the number sizes do apparently differ. This is in part due to optical illusions caused by the shape and curvature of each numeral and the arrangement and colour of the shading of it relative to the adjacent numerals.

For example, the upper photograph on p78 suggests that both 7s are taller than the 8s in 8787, while the lower photograph on p79 suggests that the 0 is shorter than the other numerals in 1207 while the upper photograph makes them appear to be a consistent height because all of the numerals are rounded at the bottom in 8835. There are several other instances, even to the extent of the number being applied on a slope on the cabside of 2510 on p56.

Use something straight to mask off the shading and follow the alignment of edge of the gold/yellow...

Those familiar with typefaces will be aware that letters and numbers with rounded tops/bottoms are typically formed slightly taller than the others to overcome the illusion of appearing relatively shorter.

Buffer stocks were generally black, but it depended to an extent on the Works at which the last repaint was applied - another variant of the old Darlington lined green cylinders.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hence the careful choice of words with appropriate "ifs" in my remarks. With no access to an actual model yet and an awareness that in some cases a variation in the sizes of characters is said to be required in order to make them "look right" I could not be more definite.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Everyone

The lettering colour is definitely yellow (compare it with a Hornby A1 in LNER green). Hornby did in fact get this wrong on the LNER version of the Thompson O1 (probably also on the B1) on which they applied gold shaded lettering and nos. The images I have seen on the forthcoming D16/3 also appeared to have the gold lettering (Hornby website) so a while back I emailed Simon K about this and he agreed to follow it up. I think the result of his follow-up is the J15 has come out with the correct colour lettering/nos. Whether it was in time to change the specs for the D16/3 we'll just have to wait and see!

As to the size - I'm convinced it is a visual aberration. If you lay a steel rule along the base of the yellow on each number you will see they all line up - well they do on mine. As also do the tops of the numbers.

Woodcock29
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Here is a cropped version of the above photo
Attachments
R3230_J15.jpg
R3230_J15.jpg (7.5 KiB) Viewed 8059 times
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Just collected my LNER J15. Lovely!

Lettering is definitely yellow. When put next to the P2 the difference between the yellow J15 lettering and the gold P2 is unambiguous.

I can see why people have questioned the alignment of the numbers. The eye is easily fooled into thinking they are wrong in just the way people have questioned above. However, applying a straight edge across the top, the bottom of the shading, the bottom of the yellow reveals everything to straight. The only question remaining I suppose is whether the LNER originally adjusted the proportions of numbers in order to combat the optical illusion, but I have no knowledge in this area.
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Sniffer »

Mine arrived today, really exquisite model.
Apart from maybe the J11 it's unique in my current allocation.

BTW The numbers are definitely yellow.
Take it from a one time paint chemist, it's only the proximity of the red shading that could make it look otherwise.
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

One I had ordered from Hattons (and forgot I had ordered) arrived today - brought it out and was running on the test plank, the girlfriend thought it was cute! It's certainly a game changer in terms of that chassis. Beautifully smooth runner. Never seen anything move that slowly that wasn't a diesel of some form in OO gauge.

Mine had only one thing wrong - missing smokebox door dart - found rattling inside the box, now saved for fixing back on tomorrow evening. A second one is being picked up from Invicta Model Rail on Monday - one will have to have a GER stovepipe fitted. Both will go into 1947/48 livery to fit with the rest of my fleet.

This really is one of Hornby's best models, although I accept there are some little niggles. Doesn't detract from what is an exquisite model that runs beautifully.