West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

I suppose that's the other possibility - I hadn't considered a flangeless centre wheelset.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:Glazing makes coaches seem altogether much nearer complete, I always think.
...whilst being a time-consuming and repetitive task! I'm just putting them in my Howldens at the moment - taking (me) an eternity.

Great work over the weekend by the looks of it there, JW. Pity I shall miss the beauty parade this evening.

John - similar comment to JW re the D.277 and the floor pan. Mine wasn't an absolutely perfect fit but I made it fit nonetheless. Please don't feel you have to go to the fine ends of fastidiousness with its construction on my account (you'll show all my coaches up if you do!!). E-mail me with details if you wish; I have various photos of mine during stages of construction so might be able to help.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Thanks to JW and LNER4479 for their comments.

One further issue with the Howlden D277 'kit' is that the middle line of beading is too high, the handles on the carriage doors are in line with the beading, not below. LNER Carriages, Campling, Pendragon Yellow issue, and Photos in CSF01 GNRS, show this.

One hopes any new version will correct this.

On a more wide-ranging point, does one make the kit, or make a model of the prototype, based on the kit, to the best of one's ability?

There are many many issues to consider with the above line.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I generally work on the 'if it looks like a duck' principle. If there are quite obvious or well-known flaws in a kit then I'll correct them. I'll alter the means of construction to suit my preferred methods. Otherwise it generally goes together as supplied, as long as it actually works.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

A very welcome and unexpected parcel on Saturday with a replacement tender for the WSM atlantic. In between painting carriages it's had a chassis fitted, coal rails added (4412 was one of those with 3 coal rails) and now awaits front and rear coal plates.

I also managed to drop it and break part of the front handrail (visible far side). I haven't found the missing fragment yet. If it doesn't turn up I may have to sculpt a repair piece from Milliput.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Update on the C1 tender - a new piece had to be made and fitted. It's pretty much the same shape as the old one. Front and rear coal plates have also been made up and fitted and holes for the unwanted handrails and rear steps filled in.

In the meantime the carriage sidings are starting to fill up.

Semi-open first 4100 is just about complete. I need to have a session making corridor connectors and there are some notices to add to the windows on the other side. I had to order some more from John Peck.

BCK 4236 of 1931 now has a correct, turnbuckle, underframe.

The angle truss underframe is now under this as yet unnumbered Comet D 175.

The paint shop have also been busy: MJT BCK 42873 makes an interesting comparison with the Comet version of the same diagram above

and BTK 1388 has also been lined.

I've deliberately gone for a lighter shade of teak and roofs here to give the effect of vehicles recently outshopped,
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Certainly been a busy little bee, but I must say, that with the amount of coaches you've built, your carriage sidings must be about the same size as Hornsey :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

jwealleans wrote:Semi-open first 4100 is just about complete. I need to have a session making corridor connectors and there are some notices to add to the windows on the other side. I had to order some more from John Peck.
Nice work Jonathan,

I'm presuming you're referring to "Smoking" ans "No-Smoking" signs? If that's true I'd appreciate a steer towards the supplier please.

I had a chat with your twin brother at the EM Gauge do at Thirsk on Saturday. At least I assumed it was your brother because of all the EM Gauge stuff! :lol:

Regards,

Vernon
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Ah, yes, my evil twin.... I don't often mention him.

Always a pleasure to see good modelling and talk to good modellers, whatever the scale or gauge. I beat Scottiedog to the sales stand as well, so it was a good day all round.

The window labels you want can be found here. They're very fine and fragile, make sure you order extra. If anyone has a use for the green ones or the more modern BR ones, I have plenty to give away.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Thanks for that Jonathan.

Approx how many smoking signs are in each pack?

Cheers,

Vernon
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'll have to have a look next time I'm in my transfer box. Off the top of my head you get between ten and a dozen of each type.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:In the meantime the carriage sidings are starting to fill up.

Semi-open first 4100 is just about complete.
BCK 4236 of 1931 now has a correct, turnbuckle, underframe.
The angle truss underframe is now under this as yet unnumbered Comet D 175.
The paint shop have also been busy: MJT BCK 42873 makes an interesting comparison with the Comet version of the same diagram above
and BTK 1388 has also been lined.
Great work JW. I'm lovin'...well, all of it really!

There's going to be some fantastic trains formations to look forward to... :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

jwealleans wrote:I'll have to have a look next time I'm in my transfer box. Off the top of my head you get between ten and a dozen of each type.
TVM
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Vernon, I have one of those Precision Decals packs in my hand. Relevant to the LNER, there are 10 each of the gold circular 'No Smoking', the white on blue 'Smoking', the red triangular 'No Smoking' and the black on white 'Smoking'.

There are also 10 of the blue lozenge 'First', a couple of green (Southern?) designs and a very modern '1'and No Smoking pictogram.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Another day, another D175. Getting very bored with these. Still, only one more to complete after this one.

This is a Kirk kit, adapted in the usual way with Paxolin floor, MJT underfloor fittings and bogies, and Evergreen channel and strip for solebars and steps. Sides have had the door handles removed and been drilled for MJT door and commode handles. Roof is Kirk cut down to the right length and yet to be drilled for vents or have destination board brackets added.