Hornby LNER J15

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Hornby LNER J15

Post by Bill Bedford »

CIA Kremlinologists could learn a lot from listening to the speculation on the web concerning Hornby's intensions.

......or maybe not.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

That's not speculation Bill, my local retailer is one such sufferer of the policy. For example it was only allocated two of the B1 no. 61270, the East Anglian-based locomotive, which arrived sometime after it was on sale direct on the Hornby website. Subsequently (recently) received a further allocation of 10. Being local to East Anglia demand was high, but the number eventually supplied was rather less than the number ordered on Hornby. I just hope that the K1 no. 62015 and the J15s turn up in sufficient numbers to satisfy the local pre-ordered demand, but I'm not holding my breath...
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

Quite a few retailers, including us... If anyone thinks I've been overly critical about Hornby's current business practices and personnel in some of my posts, then believe me, I speak from experience (and frustration).

Anyway, on a positive note, we've received the paperwork for the early J15, I wasn't in yesterday or today so I don't know whether we've actually had the delivery but if not, it shouldn't be far off. I don't know what Hornby do, but Bachmann used to take a week or so to work through big releases, sometimes A-Z of customers, sometime Z-A and sometimes M - L, try and give all the retailers a fair chance at getting some new models first. (We're "E").
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Autocar Publicity wrote:I don't know what Hornby do, but Bachmann used to take a week or so to work through big releases, sometimes A-Z of customers, sometime Z-A and sometimes M - L, try and give all the retailers a fair chance at getting some new models first. (We're "E").
For 'Eventually', 'Exceptionally' or 'Expectantly' :P
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

65447 wrote:For 'Eventually', 'Exceptionally' or 'Expectantly' :P
That probably depends on the quantity of alcohol consumed and resulting degree of optimism felt...
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I see there's a few pictures on the other forum - the gearbox arrangement is a thing of beauty. Design Clever certainly looks to be in the past. Could the J15 be better than the K1…? I pick my example up next week. I am looking forward to it!
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

We did get our order and I think it's a great looking little loco. Simon - I doubt you'll be disappointed. There's plenty of cab detail and I see there being a scramble to find good figures to fit on the footplate.

I defer to those that know, but I couldn't see any obvious faults on the model. It looks like the real thing (which I've photographed a few times) and one of our customers this pm was someone who has driven the preserved example both with us and on the North Norfolk, he took a close look and thought it was a good model. The only query he had was whether the side toolboxes in the cab were too wide, but he wasn't sure.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

From RM Web

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... j15/page-6

Faults mentioned so far by others.

Join line on side of boiler . It looks similar to me to the position to the one on Bachmann's A2 . Where the A2 is a moulded line on the J15 it is a actual join line as the lower body is a part of the chassis , a similar poor idea is used on the Hornby/Dapol J94 as well.

Horizontal handrail knobs on Boiler sides instead of a upward tilt/angle. Once pointed out they are quite noticeable.

As it is a die cast Boiler neither will be a easy fix, I doubt there is much can be done about the join line otherwise access to the motor etc will be impossible.
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

65447 wrote:But that is as you say the Hornby website, with the Hornby announcement e-mail pushing its recipients towards the improved Hornby website pre-order facilities. Recently Hornby appears to had limited initial deliveries that sold predominantly via its website with only a few going to some of the larger box-shifters/retailers, who then received further supplies somewhat later.

Not certain what Hornby is up to these days but it is playing games with the sales channels and its customers, and brushing very close with competition law.
Hi Mike

There are plenty of J15 available my local model shop (not a box-shifter) has both the LNER and late BR version and the early BR livery due on Monday.

Hornby now doing very well with Thompson Non-vestibuled stock, K1 and J15 all in good quantities and quality.

Regards
Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I hope to get a look at one later today, but unless the appearance of the boiler joints and the handrail pillars is absolutely awful I don't expect to be put off. I have to concede the odd point here and there so that compromises appear in my own models, so I accept that certain compromises will appear in commercial ones too. They won't stop the world from turning.

The form of the boiler being split between body and chassis certainly rules out any lingering thoughts (if I had any) of raising it to facilitate conversion of the loco to an NE look-alike.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Not yet in stock at my local tame retailer's it would seem.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

PaulG wrote:There are plenty of J15 available my local model shop (not a box-shifter) has both the LNER and late BR version and the early BR livery due on Monday.

Hornby now doing very well with Thompson Non-vestibuled stock, K1 and J15 all in good quantities and quality.

Regards
Paul
Bure Valley Railway Model shop called me yesterday, they have the early BR J15 as well as the others; going up on Tuesday to collect the two BR-period J15s and the early BR K1, along with anything else that has arrived with the locomotives. I expect Abbo's already been!
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Had an e-mail today from Hatton's to say they have 2 x LNER J15s waiting for me. Lovely jubbly.
Woodcock29
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Everyone

My LNER J15 arrived today here in South Australia direct by courier from Hornby - 4-5 days is not bad at all. Made the decision last week to buy direct in case the box shifter in Liverpool didn't get adequate supplies but had to pay a substantial delivery charge!

It seems to run very well, but hasn't yet been run in. I note the issues with boiler handrails and join line along lower boiler sides mentioned above. The boiler line whilst significant is not all that visible because of where it is located - in normal operation on the layout I doubt it would be very noticeable.

The top of the cab rear handrails need to be glued to the sides as they are not fixed in place and could be liable to breakage even thought they are quite flexible.

My biggest beef with Hornby is the number they have given it - 7524 was withdrawn in March 1936. so it doesn't really suit late 1930s or wartime layouts. However not really an issue I'll simply change the last digit.

I don't have a scale drawing of a J15 and am wondering what the dome height should be as it looks a trifle too tall? The loco is fitted with the tallest variety of LNER cast iron chimney.

The other observation I have is that maybe the tender frames are too widely spaced or maybe just because of the plastic thickness - the axleboxes appear too shallow in depth.

I've had to rely mainly on the Greenie, plus Locos Illus 142 for info on J15s as I don't have the relevant Yeadon volume at this stage.

However - overall a delightful new addition to the LNER stud of RTR locos. A mate for my 28 year old kit built example! The kit locos still looks fine even next to this model in my view.

Woodcock29
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

That's what I'll be interested in, how it looks alongside my olde Stephen Poole kit. I rather suspect the Hornby will run a lot better; the announcement of this RTR model halted progress on thoughts of a fourth motor and a modern fold up gearbox combination for the venerable item.