Typical NER Branchline Terminus Stations

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Clock O' the North
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Typical NER Branchline Terminus Stations

Post by Clock O' the North »

ello

May I ask, does anyone have any track plans of North Eastern Railway stations during the late 1950s and Early 1960s. If so please post them up for all to see.

Thanks, Lachlan
DJR
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Typical NER Branchline Terminus Stations

Post by DJR »

Have a look at this website, theres some track plans on there and some info on Saltburn station

http://www.railwayarchitecture.org.uk/
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Very good source is Ken Hoole's 'North Eastern Branch Line Termini', published by Oxford Publishing Co. It covers Whitby, Richmond, Alnwick, Guisborough, Middleton-in-Teesdale, and Alston. It has track plans, drawings of all of the buildings, and history and notes on services and rolling stock.

As with all of Ken Hoole's books, it makes for a good interesting read.

So far I've built Alnwick signal cabin, and (half) of the Alston station building.
micknich2003
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by micknich2003 »

[attachment=1]H25A HORNSEA Signalling 1898.

Hornsea Station, as at 1898 when the line was doubled. The layout remained the same until October 1964 when the station closed. The signalling was simpliefied in the late '20's.
Attachments
H25A HORNSEA Signalling 1898.jpg
H25A HORNSEA Signalling 1898.jpg
Last edited by micknich2003 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intrested in signalling, P Way, loco's and most railway subjects. Keen model maker etc. presently aiming to model part of Hull, Springhead yard etc.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Is there a difference between the 2 plans?
Or is it just me not seeing the obvious?
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

It's a Christmas competition. There's ten things in one that's not in the other.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Can't find the book just at the moment, but did not Hornsea have a turntable release at the end of the platforms?

(Or was this removed prior to 1898?)
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I, also, can't the book I saw it in, but both Hornsea and Withernsea had turntables at the end of the platforms in LNER days.

Earlswood nob
micknich2003
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by micknich2003 »

Withernsea had the turntable at the end of the platform, at Hornsea there was a siding near to the signalbox.
Intrested in signalling, P Way, loco's and most railway subjects. Keen model maker etc. presently aiming to model part of Hull, Springhead yard etc.
Suddaby
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Suddaby »

micknich2003 wrote:Withernsea had the turntable at the end of the platform, at Hornsea there was a siding near to the signalbox.
Hi Mick,

I thought I had seen an old map that showed the TT beyond the Level crossing at the head of the run round. Then it was moved to the Hull end of the station. However looking at old maps, it doesn't appear to be so on the 1890 1:2500. It also doesn't appear to be so on the 1854 1:10560 map, so maybe getting mixed up.

Kevin.
Henk
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Henk »

Hi there

I am a new member of this forum from the Netherlands.
Every year I went to yorkshire on my bike visit friends in Bromton on Swale, that´s why I decided to build a model railway
of the Eryholme Richmond branch.
Last year I made a lot of pictures of Richmond Station and I bought the book of Ken Hoole
North Eastern Branch Line Termini.
I build it in N gauge from Paper and light cardboard and painted every thing with acrylic paint.

If anybody have some interresting pictures of this branch line please let me know.
Henk
Attachments
P1040888.jpg
P1040886.jpg
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Try www.disused-stations.org.uk as a source for info on closed lines.

Earlswood nob