West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: West End Workbench

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

The boiler 'furniture' on the green C1 looks like lumps of bluetac on the photo, especially the dome.

Anyone for discussing this first hand at Wakefield show next weekend?

ML7 at hand.

Apologies J for the hijacking of the thread, again.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The kit is what it is, John, which is a product of the 1970s (I think - anyone care to correct me?)

While I don't mind tidying it up and improving the running, I'd like to leave it essentially Phil's work, so I don't really want to start removing and replacing major parts. Apart from anything else it's very well stuck together and I might do far more damage than good.

I will probably be at Wakefield this weekend. What's an ML7 and is it legal to carry one in this country?
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

When I say 'at hand', a bit of a misnomer, an ML7 is a Myford lathe. At least two persons required to carry one, and not far at that.

I don't think the lighting in the photo did the dome any favours.

I agree that renovating old models is often a tricky compromise.

I will be at Wakefield Saturday and Sunday.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hopefully some more pleasing boiler furniture - the DJH C1, now at the rolling shell stage. Since the picture it's been stripped down and washed ready for priming the chassis. Once that's painted the mechanicals will be fitted.

The safety valves aren't really at that rakish angle - I've just been to check after I saw the photograph. Still work to do on the body - pipework, guard irons and steps to add - no point in putting them on too early, they'll just be knocked off again. Per Graeme's BRM article the sideplates either side of the rear axle (was it a Cartazzi?) have been extended and the firebox support bracket added. There's still a slightly mysterious hole to fill in on there, though. I have added .5mm packing under the cab but it looks as if it needs a touch more to sit dead level with the tender.

The tender has also been finished and detailed. Note to self - next time pick a loco with 3 coal rails. What a job cutting the top one off and tidying up without bending the etch irreparably.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very nice! How many more entries will your workbench thread now need to trip the meter over to page 100? Around about nine by my reckoning......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Time for an in depth discussion on recently straightened horizontal bracing on insulated containers, then.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Very nice! How many more entries will your workbench thread now need to trip the meter over to page 100? Around about nine by my reckoning......
A 'very nice' from me two.

So that's now nine...eight...seven posts to go. We could always have a discussion about what workings we're going to allocate this veritable cornucopia of Atlantics to...
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote:Time for an in depth discussion on recently straightened horizontal bracing on insulated containers, then.
And on the matter of the lifting doo-dahs on the eaves of those containers, it does occur to me that so long as they don't lean over so much as to produc a really deep undercut in the mould, and are reasonably substantial, then even if they do include a full loop of some sort they could be cast as part of the container. All I would need to do is to put a thin skin of PVA over the eye in the loop before making the rubber mould. Resin could be "encouraged" into the recesses before the main pour for each casting, and the thin film of resin in the eye of the cast loop could simply be cleaned out with a tiny drill or the tip of a knife.

One hundred approacheth.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Momentous evening for the DJH C1 which has the mechanicals fitted and moved under its own power. Pickups have also been fitted to the tender but as yet they're not connected.

It does look nose high, but the packing under the cab has fallen out. The whole thing is about 1mm too high in point of fact but at this stage there's not a great deal you can do without major surgery and probably compromising the structural integrity of the whole thing.

For those of you who like this kind of thing, here she is with the lid off.

The rear axle is also still open to question - I know Graeme made a pony truck for his and I may go the same way - I'm slightly tempted by the radial axle idea but I'd have to wait for one to come through and I'm not sure I have the patience. Three of the four are now mobile and if Mr Markits is as prompt as he promised we might be well on the way to complete by Christmas.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Hi Jonathan,

Whether this tips you over the edge or not, well done for your constant inspiration on the forum.

You will be at 2509 posts soon as well, the one that really got away.

There were no H&B vans left from Andrew at Wizard, when I went after one at Wakefield late on Sunday, a couple of Rupert's carriage etches though.

I understand there is more to come in the RDEB kits direction.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

John,
I told you to get a H&B van on Saturday.......You can have mine for £50 :wink:

Nice work Jonathan, and nice meeting up on Saturday, keep up the good work.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Dave wrote:John,
I told you to get a H&B van on Saturday.......You can have mine for £50 :wink:

Nice work Jonathan, and nice meeting up on Saturday, keep up the good work.
What do I get for the other £32 'Dave'?

'Humorist'?

And I can't do a Wirral accent any more to make the above 'wheerse'!

Why did the chicken cross the road softly?

John
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:Momentous evening for the DJH C1 which has the mechanicals fitted and moved under its own power.

The whole thing is about 1mm too high in point of fact...
I'll ask the local (Grantham) civil engineers to jack the station footbridge up a bit... :lol:

Congrats on the first move

(was it me? Did I trip the 100th page...?)
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I understand there is more to come in the RDEB kits direction.
I have at least one I acquired second hand which isn't in the range currently. All credit to Andrew for taking them on and spreading awareness of the range.

Speaking of which, I may have found a box to keep the Quint in today. Things are looking up.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

John,....for £32 extra, you get a signed photo of me :D .
Why did it cross the road then ?.

Jonathan, glad you found a box, these carriages can be easily damaged.....as my grandson proved.