West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

First time I've heard of anyone having a fleet of Atlantic's....................you must be building a serious GN layout, or are they all for Grantham :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm afraid I had three of them already and the other was reasonably priced. Grantham is just the incentive to get them all updated and running properly. I find it very hard to resist a C1.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

First time I've heard of anyone having a fleet of Atlantic's....................you must be building a serious GN layout, or are they all for Grantham :D

manna
Grantham had 16 allocated at the start of the 1930's - keep going, keep going... :twisted:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

What percentage have you reduced the size of the layout by?

I also picked up this interesting snippet on the Other Place from someone who had been in touch with the NRM regarding their exclusive products:

"I can also confirm that the forthcoming C1 Atlantic will only be available, in all variants, from the NRM through our Locomotion shop"

So no point waiting for the cheapies from Hattons, then.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:What percentage have you reduced the size of the layout by?

I also picked up this interesting snippet on the Other Place from someone who had been in touch with the NRM regarding their exclusive products:

"I can also confirm that the forthcoming C1 Atlantic will only be available, in all variants, from the NRM through our Locomotion shop"

Layout is 50% true size. So, that equates to eight Atlantics. In addition to your four, I have one (albeit a little dodgy), 3279 has a 'sewing machine' example, and I think I counted up to four orders placed for the Locomotion variant by members of the Grantham team, so we should be there or thereabouts.

NRM/Locomotion 'statement'? Well they would say that, wouldn't they! Give it a few years...
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Spare Atlantics should eventually be no problem either. I have a tidily built DJH example (not my work) in bare metal, currently wearing EM gauge boots. It is on the to-do list awaiting completion, most likely as a OO gauge specimen now that Grantham's needs add to my own. I wouldn't be too inclined to sell it on instead at this stage and buy an NRM version later - I would want to be quite sure of the qualities of the NRM locos first.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

jwealleans wrote:What percentage have you reduced the size of the layout by?

Unless they suffer the same sale problems as with Midland 1000 which has now been put into Train sets and Rails are selling off on their own at a reasonable price.

At £185 for a NRM C1 I will pass personally.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Mick - that was the context in which the poster on RMWeb had contacted the NRM - I think he was a bit peeved that it had been supposed to be a Limited Edition and was now being sold off. I can see his point.

Somewhat irrelevant to me as I really, really can't justify one. Not with all these at home already.

He's been too modest to mention it up to now, but looking for something else yesterday, I found in the pages of British Railway Modelling, December 2006, an article on building the DJH C1 kit by one Graeme King. I wonder what happened to him.....? For anyone else working on one of these, of any origin, I can highly recommend it.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I put the tender chassis together last night. The DJH instructions assume you'll use American pickup (tender live to one side, loco to the other). I shall try for both side pickup on both, so I need to fit pickups to the tender and find a means of connecting the two together, hence the part builds of both loco and tender rather then going right through either.

The tender chassis is a hollow box, so I ought to be able to run wires through the base plate and along the inside towards the loco. The question then will be where to place the plug connector so as to be accessible and not interfere with either the loco to tender connection or the trailing axle on the loco. The instructions aren't clear on how you secure the tender body to the chassis either but there's plenty of room to fit a couple of small captive nuts and bolt up from underneath.

One further point, which Mr King's article had already alerted me to - the wheels are held in by a baseplate which unbolts. However the brake cross shafts will then make it impossible to remove the wheels on their axles, so having soldered up the brake rigging I cut away the shafts inside the shoes, leaving the whole area clear for pickups and wheel removal if required.

One other small point - DJH nuts and bolts have a finer thread than the Eileen's/Hobby Holidays/Wizard/Mainly Trains/Nigel Burkin assortment I have in my box and can't be interchanged. So soldering on the DJH captive nuts and then thinking "I'll use a shorter bolt, save cutting this nice long one" isn't going to work for you.
Last edited by jwealleans on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I remember finding that the bolts weren't the hobby-usual BA type too. I suspect they are metric.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I thought I was the only "Old Codger" who still used BA nuts and bolts, and resisted the change to metric.

The chassis looks good and much better than any DJH kit that I've built.

I still have a Kays C1 to build, and will probably get a S.E.Finecast tender chassis etch for it.

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Do SEF do a tender chassis with the right wheelbase? The one I ordered from AGW is close but not quite spot on.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all

The chassis for the GS3500gal tender is 7'+6' the same as the Ivatt type B fitted to the C1/O1/O2/K2/K3 etc.
I have a look for the part number as a tender arrived in the post earlier.

Earlswood nob
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Jonathan

I agree with Graeme, all DJH stuff is metric but us lesser mortals still use imp and I always substitute before I start building. Possibly because I have huge stocks of small BAs from the time when we had East Coast Joint Models (L1 and V4)! In those days we were able to buy in bulk from Clerkenwell Screws; any size any configuration but exclusively in brass.

Nick
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Clerkenwell Screws - that took me back - used to work in Hatton Garden (not in jewellery) - we had Bassett-Lowke down High Holborn,, and of course Gamages.... around Liverpool Street Hobbies used to sell Hornby-Dublo, and an old chap in the Arcade had all sorts of bits - we only had r-t-r but we were happy!