P2 update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: P2 update

Post by will5210 »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:Very very good luck - I really look forward to seeing how you get on. :)
Cheers - Me too! :)

Does anybody know if Earl Marischal had the same amount of rivets on the boiler as CotN? (yes - we're rivet counting now!)
They don't appear on my Isinglass drawing & I don't think I can see them on any photos.
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
It's happening fast, after a long wait for the loco, the conversion has started already.
Others might not agree, but I think Earl Marischal in its original condition without the later deflector plates, is the best looking Gresley loco.
Hope the conversion goes well.

Earlswood nob
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Do I see you have spliced in part of an A3 running plate to get the right profile at the front? I would imagine that Hornby A3 cylinders or Bachmann V2 cylinders could be made to fit - V2 valve gear?
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:Do I see you have spliced in part of an A3 running plate to get the right profile at the front? I would imagine that Hornby A3 cylinders or Bachmann V2 cylinders could be made to fit - V2 valve gear?
Yes that's correct.

Cylinders are undecided at the moment as I'm concentrating on the body first. The options as i see it are:
a. Modify the existing cylinders (I know they fit)
b. adapt Hornby A3 cylinders (could fit the running plate as you say)
c. adapt Comet A3 cylinders (which I have)
d. use parts from some or all 3 of the above.
I think bachmann V2 cylinders look too small really, but I have a set so I'll check when I get home.

Valve gear will hopefully be a mix of Graeme King's A2/2 conversion etch & Comet V2.

cheers
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Excellent project, I'm sure, based on your other work, that it will be highly successful. Look forward to your updates on this model. I've always thought that Earl Marischal, in its original form, was the most impressive of all of the P2s, its curvy running plate and proper wobbly valve gear giving it a familiar but still massive appearance.

Cheers
Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

From pictures I've viewed so far I'm inclined to think that EM had none of the panelling and rivet/bolt heads in the cladding of the top front section of the boiler. Presumably with no ACFI heater there was no expectation of any regular need for access.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Quick work already!! Does anyone have any word on the arrival of the main range version?
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:From pictures I've viewed so far I'm inclined to think that EM had none of the panelling and rivet/bolt heads in the cladding of the top front section of the boiler. Presumably with no ACFI heater there was no expectation of any regular need for access.
I think you're right
P2%202002%20Earl%20Marishal%20%28as%20origionally%20built%29.jpg
I've just ordered Hornby A3 cylinders & disc tender wheels from Trackside models on ebay, so progress should hopefully continue through the week.
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Just a thought, but would shortened tender drive Britannia cylinders be a better shape?
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Looking at the photo of 2002, what is the crease in the deflector plate?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Manxman1831 wrote:Looking at the photo of 2002, what is the crease in the deflector plate?
. . . . and dent to the left of it.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Disappointed as mine didn't turn up today as promised. Ordered from a distant concern who use UKMAIL and got notification from UKMail that my order had been 'delayed'. Tried to contact the courier and all I got was "all our operators are busy"! If the thing doesn't turn up tomorrow there will be fireworks and a certain retailer in the extreme south west will not be getting any more business. If they use less than reliable carriers...although I have had stuff from them before without any problems!

Couriers should also notify the sender if there are any problems but it seems in this case they do not!
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Goodness me, you 4mm lot! You've only just got the locomotive out in the shops and already you're thinking about how to modify it!

In all seriousness though, it looks as though the smoke box is a plug in piece (to facilitate a streamlined nose later?) so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to create a new front end for 2002. Cylinders, K3 or V2 perhaps?
Steve
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Manxman1831 wrote:Looking at the photo of 2002, what is the crease in the deflector plate?
The crease seams to follow the line of the sloping deflector plate which forces air upward to lift the smoke. Maybe it's a weld mark that has shown through as a slight crease in bright sun for the photo
Kestrel wrote:. . . . and dent to the left of it.
I think that's just a trick of the light or a fingerprint/sudge maybe
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all Gresley fans

I am amazed at the interest in the Hornby P2. I visited a model shop yesterday for a few bits and pieces and was chatting to the owner about the P2. His allocation was sold out on the first day.
I didn't realise there was such LNER interest south of the Thames.

Earlswood nob