P2 update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: P2 update

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

I look forward to that Simon!

I wonder if it safe to assume that, subject to sufficient patience on our part, we may in time see 2002 and it's streamlined sisters? Comments re the chassis front end suggest this may not be a false hope.

That being the case, my mind has strayed onto the proposed A4 which was basically a 4-6-2 version of 2001.

Knowing that you have 4-6-2 chassis of all types, and may be tempted to remove the body of 2001 as part of your review, I wonder whether you might be also tempted to try it on a 4-6-2 chassis? :wink:

Obviously the larger diameter driving wheels would require splashers, but it may be possible to get an idea...... :)

If there appeared to be some mileage in such a conversion I might treat myself to a a Railroad version (in addition to the super-duper one I have on order).
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

2002EarlMarischal wrote:I look forward to that Simon!

I wonder if it safe to assume that, subject to sufficient patience on our part, we may in time see 2002 and it's streamlined sisters? Comments re the chassis front end suggest this may not be a false hope.

That being the case, my mind has strayed onto the proposed A4 which was basically a 4-6-2 version of 2001.

Knowing that you have 4-6-2 chassis of all types, and may be tempted to remove the body of 2001 as part of your review, I wonder whether you might be also tempted to try it on a 4-6-2 chassis? :wink:

Obviously the larger diameter driving wheels would require splashers, but it may be possible to get an idea...... :)

If there appeared to be some mileage in such a conversion I might treat myself to a a Railroad version (in addition to the super-duper one I have on order).
I will have a go for you Earl, no problem.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

A4X.jpg
You have studied my drawing of the proposed A4 a la 2001?

Suggestion - a rework of the railroad body and valve gear to fit an A3 chassis, then use the A3 body to create the original proposed version of the P2!
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Thanks Simon and Allan!

This new P2 certainly offers some interesting possibilities!
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

That's good Simon. Get some sleep though :wink:
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

P2X.jpg
Here's the original P2 proposal.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Putting aside the previous hot debate about the politics / economics behind the grossly delayed release of these models, now that I at last have my hands on an example of the Railroad loco I can only reiterate my much earlier thoughts about it being ASTOUNDING value for money, whatever it might not have that some of us feel it ought to have! Mine runs absolutely superbly, and the crispness of finish is well up to modern standards. The sharpness of detail and trueness of shape of the basic body moulding is fully up to the highest quality and is vastly better than that of some of the old-tooling Bachmann bodies that still sell (under a fancy coat of paint) to numerous modellers who somehow fail to see anything wrong with them.
I was surprised to see something that I've not noticed any mention of so far: Self-coloured, moulded plastic, very fine handrail knobs for the separate metal boiler handrails. I straightened one and it didn't snap, so they may be not such a bad idea given the current extra cost of turned ones and the brittle nature of those cast in muck-metal.

Roll-on the super-detail version.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all on a sunny day in Surrey (but for how long?)

I am slowly getting tempted by the Hornby P2. I would like an original style P2 to go with my old Kay's Bugatti version.
If compared to my other option, the PDK brass kit, it is a lot cheaper and easier as I've never built a loco from an etched brass kit.
My only concern would be it's haulage capablities. Has anyone yet tried it with a load?

Earlswood Nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I saw the review model at Tony Wright's last year and decided on the spot I'd be having one. It pulled everything Tony put behind it, which is his case is scale length and largely kit built rakes of coaches.
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

A post on the other side indicates 17 coaches before wheel slip occurred. I assume these were RTR and unmodified in terms of weight. So it sounds like the P2 will have sufficient haulage ability for most people.

Of course of you're intending to recreate the gradients and curves north of Edinburgh ..... :roll:
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

WOW thanks for the quick replies.

Well I'd be happy with that performance. If I buy one, it might precipitate me building a layout as I don't have the space for such long trains on my test track.

Earlswood nob
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

I've one on the way so we will see what is what when it arrives!
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
It's nice to see the P2 getting really positive feedback, even over on the dark side. Its interesting that the "design clever" ethos hasn't taken a hammering from those who would've preferred a full fat version, it would appear that excellent performance seems to be winning people over. I hope it's a turning point for the folks at Hornby and that things start to come right for them. I have to wait a little longer for my main range version to arrive, but very much looking forward to it now.

Cheers
Paul
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

I made a start converting my CotN to 'Earl Marischal' tonight.

The front part of the boiler was really difficult to remove & in the end I had to use a razor saw.

The 'S' section of running plate is from a Hornby Flying Scotsman & the steam pipe is from a Bachmann K3.

Note nothing is glued in place, just held with masking tape to get stuff looking level. Still A LOT of cutting, sanding, filling etc to do yet, not to mention valve gear!
ImageDSC02116 by will5210, on Flickr

Cheers
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Very very good luck - I really look forward to seeing how you get on. :)