West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Re: West End Workbench

Post by drmditch »

Well, irrespective of loco haulage, I have read that they filled the GNR structure gauge to the maximum allowed, so couldn't travel north of Leeds.

By-the-by, has anyone compared the GNR and NER gauges? I have a copy of the NER structure gauge and thought it was fairly generous by English standards. (Always allowing for the curved platforms in Newcastle and York!)
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all
Couldn't resist a small tease.
I was waiting for someone to say that such-and-such NER loco once hauled the Leeds Dining set.
I have already remarked how good they look.
I always thought that the NER loading gauge was one of the large ones along with GNR and GCR. The smaller ones being GER and NBR, and I expect GNSR.
It would be interesting to see how the pre-grouping companies compare.

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It's always said that the set only ran to Leeds because it was out of gauge anywhere else. It is very wide - 9'6" at the waist IIRC.

It has been run round Corfe, which has 3' curves and dealt with those very comfortably. The MJT articulation system really is very good.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Bit of a diversion in the last few days as we've been out to the Grantham Model rail show with Thurston. This is one of the last shows we'll do with the layout so if you want to see it again you're running out of chances.

I took some pictures of newish stock and one or two locos we don't run very often also had a few hours in the sun. Thanks to LNER4479 (and Mrs 4479) for helping over lunchtime on the Saturday when we were a man short.

Bury shed turned out their other D16 on the Sunday morning.

This NER lav 3rd features on the bench a few pages back. It will be weathered when I've gathered up enough outstanding stock to do a batch.

Cambrian kit C107 - SR D 1375 open as supplied to the LNER during the war (LNER D 178). Also to be weathered. Another in Cambrian's ever improving range.

Finally, due to the presence of Mr. King of this parish, we had a guest loco on the Sunday morning for a few hours.

I suspect the headroom on that bridge might have reduced somewhat had this been sent over it in reality. Nonetheless a beautiful runner which we never dared turn up past 40% on the controller without posting 3 slips and a gulley.

Edit - I must also pass on our thanks to Grantham Railway Club for looking after us so well and to the good folk of Grantham who were kind enough to vote us their favourite layout.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

I do like that bridge!
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I have to echo Will's comment about the bridge. Also, some fantastic locomotives and stock there Mr Wealleans! 8)
Steve
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Looks like a good time was had by all

Where will the few remaining chances to see it be?

Thanks for the pics

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Is Thurston at Folkestone this year??

Earlswood nob
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:Bit of a diversion in the last few days as we've been out to the Grantham Model rail show with Thurston. This is one of the last shows we'll do with the layout so if you want to see it again you're running out of chances.

I took some pictures of newish stock and one or two locos we don't run very often also had a few hours in the sun. Thanks to LNER4479 (and Mrs 4479) for helping over lunchtime on the Saturday when we were a man short.
The pleasure was all ours, Mr W. A most delightful trainset and some lovely stock (even though I get a bit 'lost' with the designations of those ex-GE locos - I'm only just getting my head round the ex-GNR ones :lol: ).

At the risk of thread hijack (just for a moment), part of our journey to Grantham on Saturday was to confirm arrangements for next year when we shall be taking - most appropriately - Grantham to the Grantham (Model) Rail Show for what will be its full exhibition debut. Same weekend next year, which makes it 5th & 6th September 2015. I'll put a proper posting on the Grantham thread in due course.

Hijack over. Now how's that Quint set looking... :)
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thank you for your kind comments about the bridge, which I have passed on to our President and Senior Shunter, Derek Buck, who built it. I gather he is working on the road overbridge for Wickham Market as we speak.

Thurston has bookings for Spalding Show in November and St Neots next March, after which (unless any further invitations are forthcoming) it will be offered for sale. Wickham Market is presently at the running trackwork stage and we expect to start exhibiting that, albeit unfinished, in 2016. I'm afraid we were at Folkestone last year, EN, so you've missed your chance there. Lovely venue but a hell of a long way for me.

The Quint is lined, varnished and glazed and the dining car interiors are with me in my lonely hotel room for the week so I can move them on a little. Photographs whenever I see home again.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I saw your pics of Folkestone last year, and its only a couple of hours from where I live, so I was going to visit this year.
Just my luck to miss it. I don't get much opportunity to see LNER/ER layouts south of the Thames.

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

LNER4479 visited us at Ormesby last night and was kind enough to send me this video he shot of the Quint on test behind something which happened to arrive the same evening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IegD9dC ... e=youtu.be
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

I should add that, although attention was inevitably focussed on the motive power, the Quint set looks absolutely fantastic and, although the video is of poor quality, I hope you can see the graceful way in which it makes its somewhat incongruous way along this piece of LSWR branchline(!)

Looking forward to seeing both loco and train being put through their paces in an altogether more natural environment in the near future :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Very kind, but it's largely due to a decent kit and Mike T's excellent articulation system.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The Quint was out at Grantham this weekend - there are pictures on 4479's thread in the Other Place here.

There will be a short carriage hiatus now so I can catch up some other projects which have been on the sidelines.