Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by mick b »

Airborne
11.jpg
14.jpg
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Very nice Mick, although a bit too modern for me!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

With her sister Chamossairre
15.jpg
16.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Graemes BTH Speedo etch
12.jpg
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

You're a hard act to follow Mick, even ugly A2's look good. Have you relined the wheels on the A2, if so, what method do you use?

Cheers
Paul
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Conversion from AH Peppercorn, wheels already lined by Bachmann.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Commision conversion of Kingfisher to what will be when completed by the owner Tom (2750) Dominion of Canada.
12.jpg
14.jpg
18.jpg
Note how the Garter Blue changes in sunlight in first photo, this suggest to me is where SAC Martin got the idea for the very pale Garter Blue he has used on recent models. IMHO wrong shade (sorry Simon).
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

mick b wrote:Note how the Garter Blue changes in sunlight in first photo, this suggest to me is where SAC Martin got the idea for the very pale Garter Blue he has used on recent models. IMHO wrong shade (sorry Simon).
I have no problem with you disagreeing with me Mick - but as I've always said, the models I'm working on are prototypes and are intended to be weathered as in keeping with their 1946 forms. I remain confident my madness will become understandable to a certain degree.

I have already made some changes from my experiences with Silver Fox to the next two with different undercoats and this has darkened the paint I have used a few degrees. Weathering will change the effect further. Don't think of my models as professing to show locomotives in their pristine state: that's not what has been intended at all.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I look forward to the finished Locos .

The photos show how colours are affected by the light as they were taken within seconds of each other.In the case of late 1940's colour film they produced very erratic results.
Sea Eagle
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sea Eagle »

mick b wrote:Another one for Jim

The lovely Hornby B17 Sandringham converted to the footballer class version Manchester United , no idea why Jim didnt want West Ham United ?? After much gritting of teeth she's finished.
Pulling a repainted and lined Bachmann Tender, Westinghouse Pump removed . Cylinders Lined out. Detail pack not fitted as it has to be posted back to Jim.
9.jpg
10.jpg
Hi Mick

I'm planning to carry out a similar Sandringham to Footballer conversion having got hold of a Bachmann ex-K3 GS tender. I have a couple of questions that you might be able to help with.

1. Did you add tender pickups or did you find that the B17 runs well with loco pickups only?
2. Where did you get hold of the footballs for the splashers? I can find sources for the nameplates and the team colours, but not the footballs!

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Sea Eagle wrote:
mick b wrote:Another one for Jim

The lovely Hornby B17 Sandringham converted to the footballer class version Manchester United , no idea why Jim didnt want West Ham United ?? After much gritting of teeth she's finished.
Pulling a repainted and lined Bachmann Tender, Westinghouse Pump removed . Cylinders Lined out. Detail pack not fitted as it has to be posted back to Jim.
9.jpg
10.jpg
Hi Mick

I'm planning to carry out a similar Sandringham to Footballer conversion having got hold of a Bachmann ex-K3 GS tender. I have a couple of questions that you might be able to help with.

1. Did you add tender pickups or did you find that the B17 runs well with loco pickups only?
2. Where did you get hold of the footballs for the splashers? I can find sources for the nameplates and the team colours, but not the footballs!

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
1. Runs fine on just Loco pick ups.

2. Try ebay for old style B17 fotballer nameplates.
Sea Eagle
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sea Eagle »

Thanks Mick. I hadn't thought of the old style B17 nameplates. I'll keep an eye out for a pair.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Mick - I have had the original paint mixture reformulated to create a second small batch for testing.

The new paint is in the middle, the original Hornby finish is the top one and my original garter blue is at the bottom. Your thoughts, as always, appreciated.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Looks more like it to my eye :D
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thanks Mick - I will likely now complete prototype 4 in that livery to compare and contrast all the methods I've used.

Definitely sold on the virtues of the Bachmann A4 chassis though. Has proven to be very reliable and very smooth running. Of course it's more physical work than buying the Hornby one but at least I am producing models I am happier with.