West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Re: West End Workbench

Post by drmditch »

Perhaps the old Peter Denny rule applies.
It's what you can/can't see from two feet away that matters.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I agree that there's little point in adding detail which can't be seen except for the personal satisfaction of knowing it's there. On a commercial model that hardly applies.

I've repainted the affected side of the first van and here it is. I've renumbered the second one but left the Bachmann 1 in place so you can see how much larger their numbers are than the HMRS ones. I'll reduce that before they go into traffic.

When I finish them off I think I will replace the vac pipes and I need to make up a replacement brake lever for the repaint.

After that quick burst of wagon therapy it was back to the serious stuff tonight:

Third class passengers will soon be able to be accommodated.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Something of a momentous morning -the whole set now at the rolling shell stage.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

There, that's a bit better.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Phwoooaaarrr! :lol:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Yup. (I meant to say the same, but this is easier to spell.)

auldreekie
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

What a fine sight that is, beautiful .........I wonder what the postage to Oz would be :lol: :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That quint is turning into something suitably impressive.

I couldn't help noticing the vintage Margate transformer behind those two fish vans....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

... which in the finest tradition of British engineering has given up the ghost.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Some more progress this evening. The trussing on the two dining cars was altered in 1927 from the former turnbuckle type to a more angular structure which was a forebear of the 1934 welded trussing. This is not catered for in the kit (I did know this) and so will have to be scratchbuilt with lengths of brass 1mm angle and section ordered from and supplied with great alacrity by Eileen's.

The outer trussing is in place after tonight's session leaving just the internal bracing to add at the weekend and then the whole to be tidied up.

I examined the Doncaster drawing for this at the NRM. It was dated 1923 even though the modifications weren't applied until 1927. One wonders if the revised design was a reaction to a problem with the cars or they were selected for experimentation for some reason despite being as far from bog standard coaches as you can get.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Too many Mr Creosotes on the Leeds dining services testing the turnbuckle trussing beyond reasonable limits?

I wondered what you had in mind for the trussing under those dining saloons.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

When the workshop hasn't been too hot, I've managed to complete the trussing on the second Restaurant Car and remake that on the first as it was too low. Bit of tidying up and the last of the brake gear (when Dart Castings oblige) and construction is all but complete.

I also cut the rest of the roofs this evening. It's starting to look something like now. Yes, that nearest battery box is hanging off.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

That set is really looking the part Mr Wealleans! Can't wait to see it finished with your brilliant teaking! 8)
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm very much looking forward to that as well, Steve. This is stretching my attention span well beyond its normal limits.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This is a busy time of year and we had an exceptionally good crop of hay, so it's been even busier than usual. All is safely gathered in, though, so more time at the bench beckons ( I hope).

I have been getting on with detailing and finishing the Quint, starting from the centre again. The centre cars are almost ready for lining and letters now.

The ends require more work, because of the domed ends. They do give a nice result, though, once you've got them properly blended in. Just a bit more to do along the cantrail here.

Roofs won't be finished until I have the roof boards. I have had a most generous offer to make those, so watch this space.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.