West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2512silverfox

Re: West End Workbench

Post by 2512silverfox »

Jonathan

Bert Collins was an old Kings + driver (suburban I think) who later in life graduated to the Kings+ Model shop in York Way. He had a large collection of mainly Southern Area LNER photos which were obtained from a variety of sources including Hebron, CCB Herbert, Wethersett, Moore, Pouteau etc etc. I do not remember him being a photographer in his own right although he was quite a good artist in oils.

The photo looks to me like a Herbert of which there were quite few circulating in the Kings + shop in the late 60s/early 70s. I know that Bert bought some as did John Edgson and yours truly.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks, Nick. Was he the chap who used to stand on the end of one of the platforms selling prints? I've heard him mentioned before.

The CCB Herbert collection is with the national Archive - who say "it is difficult to gain access to all the photographs .... A small proportion have been printed, and grouped by subject, but are un-numbered, and thus difficult to reconcile with the negatives."

Not terribly encouraging but worth a look next time I'm in the Search Engine, I think.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

The topic of CCB Herbert photographs came up in a telephone conversation with Bernard Harding last evening. He has quite a collection, directly from Herbert.

Maybe the LNER Society should talk to Ed Bartholomew at the NRM with a view to making the Herbert negatives a future cataloguing project.

John
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
Well 65447, it shows that people find your postings useful. Long may they continue.

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It's been a bit hot in the workshop this week so I haven't done much soldering. There has been a little progress, not terribly visible:

BFK is now affixed to its underframe so we can safely tow the set round. It may well go for a first road test on Monday evening.

I have done some more to the GN BFK and it now only needs minor finishing; handles, end jumpers, another corridor connector and the odd bit of paint.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

We need to have a chat about teaking......they are beautiful.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

GN BFK looks loverly, JW. Part of Harrogate portion to run with the Quint, perhaps...?
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nice.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Part of Harrogate portion
That or the south end brake on the Scarborough Flyer (although that was usually a D 97, according to John Edgson).
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

That really is lovely work sir! :)
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I don't think I'm qualified to comment but yes...very nice.

Cheers
Paul
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thank you very kindly, sirs.

Now with added undergubbins.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

We were pleased to welcome LNER4479 to Ormesby last night and he was able to watch the set test run for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30JlyyV ... e=youtu.be

I was very pleased to see it run pretty well for a first time out - one bogie rubbing slightly and a bit of level adjustment to to, but overall not bad.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

And what a delight it was to see your latest creation(s) in action. Even at this early stage, the new set had a 'presence' that bodes well for its much anticipated appearances to come on Grantham. And it ran even better when hauled by a loco with more appropriate letters on its tank sides :lol:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Something of an interlude this evening - as if you need an excuse for a bit of fiddling with wagons. Last night my friendly Man From Peter's Spares brought along a pair of Bachmann fish vans. I've been looking forward to these having heard good things about them and by and large they didn't disappoint. Just a couple of things stood out when I saw them - the chalkboard on the side is white instead of slate coloured and the lettering looked a bit large.

I still had all the transfers out from doing some jobs last week so this morning and then again this evening I've tweaked one slightly. There's no more than half an hour's work here but I think it helps. Untouched van on the left, as if you needed telling.

The number has been completely replaced (HMRS pressfix) but I've also taken about half a mil off the end of the top and bottom strokes of the E. Couplings removed, slate panel painted and the the roof given a coat of grey/black with talc. I wrecked a safety loop getting the unfeasibly long coupling screws out and the vac pipes are quite delicate as well. Once weathered and with proper couplings, though, these will definitely look the part.

As a further comparison, here's the cut down Parkside which used to be the only way to one of these vans.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.