West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

... and we're off.

This is a much more complete kit than the BFK - there are hinges, droplights and interior partitions. As you can see there are still a number of MJT parts specified as well. The kit is designed for the MJT articulation units and so that's what I've used. What isn't included (Rupert had already warned me about this) is the trussing on the two dining cars. This was updated in 1927 and will have to be scratchbuilt. I was in the Search Engine on Thursday looking at the drawing and will be ordering the bits from Eileen's later.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Added droplights, hinges, underframe fittings and the last of the trussing. On to the next car now - first or third, I ask myself?

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote:... and we're off.
Slightly reminiscent of those way-out Whacky Races. I shall be in hot pursuit in the bouldermobile, otherwise known as a rake of ironstone hoppers.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Which one is you, Graeme?

Edit - then I found this and this - and this. I don't know why I'm even surprised.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

mlgilbert30 wrote:
jwealleans wrote: I have no idea what they were designed to fit but it does not appear to be Gresley corridor stock from MJT or RBED.
I'm daily certain they were done for the MTK range, whether by Colin Massingham or Alistair Rolfe is uncertain, but I suspect the former.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all.
We used to love the Wacky Races, and have sweepstakes with workmates.

Earlswood nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all on a sunny day in Surrey
It's amazing what you learn from this forum.
I never knew of a GNR Leeds Dining Quint Set, until JW started this build. I will be interested to see the finished article.

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm looking forward to the finished article, EN, but I reckon a good couple of months for this one. Then I have to devise a box to carry it about in, Cunning Plan A having had to be abandoned because the relevant bits are too long to fit.

The prototype ran in the 10:15 KX - Leeds and returned at 17:30. It never worked anywhere else as far as I know (it was too wide for most routes) and did the same run from 1921 to 1953 when it was written off in a shunting accident. There is a photo in Gresley's Coaches by Harris which is also reproduced in The Railway Carriage Album by Geoffrey Kitchenside.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all (esp Gresley fans)

It may not suit your rake JW, but I use the following for storage, and looking forward to transport if I ever join a MRC.
I purchase box files from supermarket etc.
I fit corrugated cardboard dividers with duct-tape. This gives five sections.
I use cut-down toilet tissue centres as spacers to stop the models moving about.

I use this method to store models like Kay's kits and Kirk coachs, which do not come with a suitable box. I usually stick a label on the end to indicate what is in the box-file. One can buy spare loco storage boxes, but they work out expensive.

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I make up wooden boxes for most stock, usually to try to hold complete trains in. Four of these fit a folding crate.

Cunning Plan A was to store the two pairs of outer cars lengthways in the box so I only had to split the set either side of the centre car. That's what I've done for my QuadArt, which divides in the middle. Unfortunately when I offered them up last night they're going to be too long. A rethink is called for.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Couple of evenings and we have a 1st class dining car. It still needs hinges and cleaning up.

I'll leave the trussing on these until I've finished what's supplied in the kit. Here they're being pushed through reverse curves formed with PECO short and medium radius points, a test I'm pleased to say was successful. A credit to Mike Trice's articulation system.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
Your stock boxes look the business, JW.

Earlswood nob
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

jwealleans wrote:I'm looking forward to the finished article...
To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement. Great work JW, I'm sure it will be stunning. Guess I need to put equal effort into completing the stage for it to perform on...
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I don't know about equal effort - even if it takes me three months, you've had, what, seven years at that layout? The two aren't remotely comparable. Yours is a long term construction project - this is just knocking off a kit, even if it is a biggish one. It keeps on growing.

I shan't be able to manage an overall shot like that much longer. Progress will slow now as the Test matches are upon us and it's getting too warm to spend time in the workshop of an evening.

Built up the body of the 3rd class dining car tonight. This was a bit harder than it needed to be - partly self-inflicted as I forgot to add the droplights while the side was in the flat, but when I did remember they were only just larger than the apertures and it was a right fiddle to get them in and straight.

In other news the D96 was teaked last week and I managed to cut out the interior over the weekend while I was away at a show.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Quint keeps on growing...

Made up the body of the BFK tonight - just hinges still to do then it's on to the underframe.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.