West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by notascoobie »

2750 wrote:Might be a few years off yet Vernon....currently saving for the Shed! :lol:
ahh, maybe wishful thinking.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

We could always organise a 'stare at the space and imagine hard' afternoon....

I was talking to Mr Scottiedog of this parish yesterday after the rain put paid to my garden chores. Quite opportune as I had taken the chance of some free time to make a start on another build for him.

First, though, I hadn't realised that I hadn't posted this since it was completed and primed. It's been awaiting delivery for some weeks.

I had to be a bit brutal with the roof to get it to fit, but it did comply eventually.

So yesterday afternoon was spent working on this:

Passenger brake van with additional shelving - is that the least controversial way to describe it? Whatever, they're an attractive and popular vehicle and the kit goes together (as you can see) very well and in fairly short order. Another evening or two detailing should see this one complete.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

jwealleans wrote:We could always organise a 'stare at the space and imagine hard' afternoon....
We have already done that haven't we?
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You and I have... I was envisaging a larger party.
Danby Wiske
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Danby Wiske »

jwealleans wrote:Passenger brake van with additional shelving - is that the least controversial way to describe it?
Coo... :wink:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Is anybody out there thinking of writing up a spoof piece on the production of some additional custom transfers to read "for pigeon traffic only"? Maybe an additional "Return to Lofthouse" branding would be of use too :wink:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

jwealleans wrote:You and I have... I was envisaging a larger party.
Would be a riveting day!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Counting or fitting?
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Is anybody out there thinking of writing up a spoof piece on the production of some additional custom transfers to read "for pigeon traffic only"? Maybe an additional "Return to Lofthouse" branding would be of use too :wink:
Don't use the p-word :lol:
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Rattled through this tonight - not much to report, Dan's kits generally go together very well and this one certainly did. Roof fitting tomorrow - that may be more of a challenge.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

David, I do beg your pardon, I had missed your post due to us rambling onto a second page.

The 6 wheel bogies are from 247 Developments and are actually LNWR. There's a bit of a dearth of 6 wheel bogies generally and ECJS ones are (were) all but impossible to find. I used these on the Peter K 12 wheeler I built some years ago and they run well, so I went straight back for another pair for this coach. They're item C414 here.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

jwealleans wrote:The 6 wheel bogies are from 247 Developments and are actually LNWR. There's a bit of a dearth of 6 wheel bogies generally and ECJS ones are (were) all but impossible to find. I used these on the Peter K 12 wheeler I built some years ago and they run well, so I went straight back for another pair for this coach. They're item C414 here.
Many thanks. I may have to move this project up the list!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Interestingly Jonathan
There is a drawing at the NRM, 12800D of 1926 which is titled...32'-0" 4 wheel passenger brake van fitted with shelves for pigeon traffic.

It's now on the list too look at.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks, Dave. That one will most likely be for the D 120, which is the one shown above. The D170 (or 171) were converted at Doncaster in (OTTOMH) 1931 or thereabouts.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

jwealleans wrote:The 6 wheel bogies are from 247 Developments and are actually LNWR. There's a bit of a dearth of 6 wheel bogies generally and ECJS ones are (were) all but impossible to find. I used these on the Peter K 12 wheeler I built some years ago and they run well, so I went straight back for another pair for this coach. They're item C414 here.
Hi Jonathan,

Have you tried the Bill Bedford GNR 6-wheel bogie frame? I've tried Dan Pinnocks but ended up modifying the compensation system so I'm thinking of trying the sprung approach.

Rgds

Vernon