West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: West End Workbench

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:As an "aside" there's a lovely caption to a picture in March Backtrack, referring to all-maroon coaches as being the last "grown up" livery on Britain's Railways, before the hue-mongers got to work. I tend to agree, teak being far better still of course. The ghastly splashes of gaudy colour from a child's paint box do nothing for railway liveries.
Totally agree, though I suppose the blue, and was it white or light grey, two-tone kind of approximated to the LNER Coronation livery?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Still needs the roof fittings and vac pipes but essentially complete.

The fittings arrived from Dave Hammersley for the Howlden - 4A6 gas lamp tops, 4A7 torpedo vents, in case anyone else is looking for any - and those have also been fitted.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It seems a while but there's been a fair bit of watching paint dry. I've also been preparing some transfers for the latest ferry van build which John Peck turned round with commendable rapidity - far more rapidity than I've found for applying them, so you'll just have to hang on to the edge of your collective seats for those.

One of the other things I ordered from John at the same time were some of the small data blocks for NPCCS which he made for me a few years ago. That was all this GN horsebox had been waiting for:

The D 303 brake awaits axlebox/springs from D & S, but the body can be finished:

I'm also waiting to make up an order to Dart Castings which will include the bogie sides for the D129 Composite. Again, though, the body can be finished and the interior is well on as well.

This D183 BC came to me by way of payment for some stock I built. I never tire of saying that these are the best looking coaches to run in this country.

Lastly the Ian Kirk conversion we looked at a few pages back. Having the Graeme King roof sections has spurred me into action with this and it will be complete before too long. The way it was built means it will have to be a sealed unit - not the way I like to do it but I'd have had to indulge in wholesale destruction of the original to do otherwise. There will need to be a bit of fettling of the roof ends to get the profiles to match, but you can see what the basic effect is going to be.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nice to see that the roof is proving useful, and I agree that the full-length latter-day GN non-corridor stock was very handsome. Built seven feet shorter with "modernised" windows as the LNER GS versions, coaches to that general outline didn't look nearly so impressive.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I did promise some ferry wagons, so here you go:

Distinct case of verbal diarrhoea on these and I now find I managed to overlook two complete panels of text when preparing the transfers. I have some more to make up, though, so they'll just fill a bit of space on the next sheet. Quite a contrast with the understated brevity of the Framlingham branch brake van:

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Coaches varnished, glazed, nearly done.

Bogie sides to come from Dart Castings, handles to stick on.

I managed to lose a vac pipe from one end of the D 183; apart from that and the handles, pretty well there. I will stick some black paper under the body so no light shines up from the floor.

The D 111 will need something similar doing. I also need to matt down where the Araldite from sticking the roof on shows.

The EC third needs the rest of the corridor handrails sticking in and then the roof can go on.

Horsebox is ready for weathering.

Luggage brake awaits spring and axleboxes.

I'd like to finish the brake van in time to deliver it at the Ely show. Only some tidying up and weathering to do now.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Very nice all, sir :D Looks like my Dia129 will have to limp home a poor second, trailing in your wake :(
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Bit of a lengthy silence from me - holidays, catching up after holidays and a bit of a loss of motivation all played a part. I have some exciting projects lined up, though, so hopefully we'll all have something to look at soon.

I have been tinkering with this and that - we're taking Thurston to the Ely show this year (next weekend, in fact) for what will probably be the last time. That usually means some weathering, repairs and catching up before I set off south and this trip will be no exception. I've been waiting to take some sunlit shots as I was especially keen to see how this looked in natural light:

No prizes for guessing I've been studying Mr Foster's technique with this one. Even outside it's come up much redder than it looks to the eye, but through the camera I can see one or two places to tone down and others to beef up a bit. The black wash all but disappeared when I rubbed it back again, but this is a much darker colour than garter blue and you can see on the cabside numbers, for example, that it is there. The heavy weathering on the tender side is an attempt to conceal the fact that the Hornby black lining came off when the weathering wash was rubbed back.

Your comments are welcomed.

These are also for this weekend:

The GC brake has come up quite well. The guard is a Monty's crossing keeper who's been promoted. The GW van was one of three which I found unpainted (but with transfers) in the stock box at the last show and offered to refinish. I'm not sure what kit it is but it's also scrubbed up nicely.

These are finished and will be test run at Ormesby on Monday:

The clerestory is still in progress although the end is in sight. The combination of Graeme's roof and the Kirk sides has made the cantrail a bit heavier than it probably ought to be but once varnished I don't think it'll look shockingly out of proportion. I also didn't notice the extra passenger when taking the shot.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

jwealleans wrote: Your comments are welcomed.
Hi Jonathan,

Good to see you at the weekend. A busy day!

I think that the ASLEF shop steward might have something to say about the lack of a fall plate on the B17! It might look OK in the flesh but the well lit photos make the absence stand out a bit.

I know I'm being a nitpicker.

The photos show a superb set of modelling projects. Thanks for sharing them.

Regards,

Vernon
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Please can you reveal the source of the six-wheel bogies for the ECJS clerestory vehicle?
(I did look up thread but perhaps I missed it.)
I have a vague sort of plan for something that might need them.

I'm sure that they are all beautifully detailed, and show all the bolt heads!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

notascoobie wrote:
jwealleans wrote: Your comments are welcomed.
Hi Jonathan,

Good to see you at the weekend. A busy day!

I think that the ASLEF shop steward might have something to say about the lack of a fall plate on the B17! It might look OK in the flesh but the well lit photos make the absence stand out a bit.

I know I'm being a nitpicker.

The photos show a superb set of modelling projects. Thanks for sharing them.

Regards,

Vernon

There is a fall plate the gap is a tad wide however :D
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Oh yes, I can see that now. I guess the fireman has his job cut out... :D
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Morning Vernon,

There is a fall plate as Mick suggests, but the main reason for the gap is that I haven't reunited loco and tender yet, they need wheels cleaning and final finishing before I plug them back in. I'll be taking her down for a test run tomorrow so it'll be sorted by then.

Thoroughly good day out last Sunday, shame we didn't get more of a chance to chat.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

jwealleans wrote:Morning Vernon,

There is a fall plate as Mick suggests, but the main reason for the gap is that I haven't reunited loco and tender yet, they need wheels cleaning and final finishing before I plug them back in. I'll be taking her down for a test run tomorrow so it'll be sorted by then.

Thoroughly good day out last Sunday, shame we didn't get more of a chance to chat.
Hello Jonathan,

Yes, it was a little busy on Sunday. I had my operating turn then there was a text saying that son wanted to come and stay. So we decided to exit sharpish and get home. We'll bump into each other somewhere else soon I'm sure. (Tom's first running day? :D )

All the best.

Vernon
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

notascoobie wrote: We'll bump into each other somewhere else soon I'm sure. (Tom's first running day? :D )
Might be a few years off yet Vernon....currently saving for the Shed! :lol:
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939