Colliery tip landslip

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Colliery tip landslip

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Aberfan had consequences in Yorkshire. For years, there had been Thornhill Colliery's dirt batch on the skyline, overlooking houses. Then several springs were discovered under it, like Aberfan.

Small wonder it was removed in the '80s!

But it does make me wonder if these things are even considered these days. After all, the "Modern Engineer" rarely looks at what worked before.....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

As an aside does anyone know if there was an alternative route to this owned by another company pre-grouping that was closed by Beeching. that would have provided an alternative route?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

TRESTROL wrote:As an aside does anyone know if there was an alternative route to this owned by another company pre-grouping that was closed by Beeching. that would have provided an alternative route?
I was thinking along the same lines, I don't have my trusty rail atlas with me to check it out.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

TRESTROL wrote:As an aside does anyone know if there was an alternative route to this owned by another company pre-grouping that was closed by Beeching. that would have provided an alternative route?
The area is still well served with alternates, though some are lengthy.
For Hull services are diverting via Selby & Gilberdyke.
Freight to Goole is using the route via Knottingley and Gowdall
Traffic for the Docks at Grimsby / Immingham is using the route via Gainsboro' & Brigg / Market Rasen. Anything for Scunthorpe has to run round at Warwby / Brocklesby.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Just had a look at my Ian Allen atlas and nothing suitable seems to be the answer.
The nearest lines North and South parallel to the line at Hatfield are still open and in use.
Wakefield - Goole and Doncaster - Gainsborough.
Only the Gainsborough line has the connections to provide a divert route which I believe it is doing now only in a reduced manner to what it could have done due to being singled in places between Gainsborough and Wrawby Jcn Barnetby.
Lincoln is also being used for some services but that will block up the LC in the high street even more.
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

Looks the the line is out of action until June:

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... z2Lu3IpQSH
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Let's just hope there's some sloppy reporting there and Network Rail know what they are doing. The slip didn't slide on to the track, but under the track (lifting it up and over). It would have stopped moving when it reached graviational equilibrium. Like a seesaw, take the weight off one end, and the result won't be pretty...

The geotech commentaries that I've seen were suggesting the colliery would have to carefully remove the spoil from their side first before anything is done to stabilise the trackbed.

Here's the latest update that I've found with what appears to be a near-stationary slip:

http://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/2013 ... landslide/
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

Richard/all,

Sloppy reporting - I should have added the caveat that the Hull Daily Mail is not exactly the high watermark of local newspapers :-)

(Not that I know a great deal about the subject, but that the landslip was UNDER the tracks is fairly obvious even to me.)
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

Just for a laugh lads, I understand that the rail operators are still charging full rail fare prices even though most of the journys are by bus and take much longer.
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Found this item today with a video presentation from a NWR manager.
( Love the presentation technique )
http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/VIDEO ... z2MVIKUHWI

States at least 16 weeks to repair. Maybe getting 2 tracks working a few weeks before that.
1 Million + tonnes of muck to shift.