Train formations on ex GCR Main Line in the mid 1930s

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Train formations on ex GCR Main Line in the mid 1930s

Post by JASd17 »

I don't think any ex-GCR types would have been rostered in the principal GC express services in the early 1950s. But they may have been have been used.

The Manchester expresses had standard LNER stock fairly early. That is by the last years of the 1920s.

The Barnums were originally intended for excursion trains, so not used in the GCR timetabled expresses at all, to my knowledge. Again, this is not without exception later on.

In the end photographic evidence for the era you wish to model is better than Carriage Working Books, at least it shows an accurate formation on the day!

Ifs, buts and maybes, not much history.

John
robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by robertcwp »

robertcwp wrote:Image
A question has come to my attention concerning the through express from Mansfield to Marylebone that ran in the 1930s.

The earlier postings focused on the return working - the so-called 'Nottingham Buffet' but the extract from the Summer 1939 carriage workings I posted earlier this year shows that the train started from Mansfield in the morning.

I think the workings show the stock rather than the formation as I would expect the brakes to be at the ends and the buffet in the middle.
belbink
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by belbink »

A rather late thanks, Robert, but I have not visited this site for some months. The information on the coach formations was very welcome.