GW Locos on the GCML

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

GW Locos on the GCML

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

The appearance of GW locos on the GCML, fairly regularly as far as Leicester and occasionally as far as Nottingham, is well recorded, but I'd like to know (a) were such turns booked all year round or restricted to summer time and (b) what classes were involved during LNER and BR days.

I'm assuming the locos involved were nearly always Halls and other classes such as Castles weren't used, but what about Granges and 43xxs?.

PS: I'm aware that a Grange made it all the way into Yorkshire (? Huddersfield) in 1963, but for my purposes that doesn't count.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GW Locos on the GCML

Post by Hatfield Shed »

A comment in a photographic record compiled by a BR stationmaster 1954-64*, while posted at East Leake on the GC 1962-63, is that the Bournemouth - York and return service was worked Northhbound on the GC line as far as Leicester by a GW loco, and a Hall it is in the accompanying photograph of the Southbound service at Banbury dated 10.10.62. (which was a Wednesday according to Google, so not a SO service). No information on the frequency of this service, that's doubtless to be found 'somewhere'...

*Station Master's Reflections, Images of railway life, 1954-64. Author David Holmes. Pub BCA, ISBN 9780947 971861

Very informative and well written, accompanied by the author's monochrome photographs, a good selection of interesting illustrations of the text.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: GW Locos on the GCML

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

British Main Line Services in the Age of Steam 1900- 1968 by Michael H doesn't mention a York to Bournemouth service using the GCML during 196/63, but it does mention night-time York-Oxford-Swindon services, which are described as 'glorified parcels trains'.

The date of 10 October puts the train you describe firmly in the winter timetable. Does anyone have a NER or LMR Winter 192/63 timetable that they can refer to?