Hornby Railroad D49

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Hornby Railroad D49

Post by Coboman »

Now available. :D Just a quick question about the livery, the model has the cylinder covers painted lined black. Is this right? Looks well odd to me....
Jim
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: Hornby Railroad D49

Post by Kestrel »

You mean like this?

compare this to http://www.lner.info/locos/D/d49.shtml (scroll down to colour picture of Morayshire)
Attachments
R3062_30454_Qty1_1.jpg
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

The cylinder lining fits with Morayshire, but not the block of green;
D49 Morayshire.jpg

Alothough this may be due to different periods. Morayshire looks early LNER and the model looks to be later LNER
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If that's an official picture of the production Railroad model, then, although it comes as no real surprise, it looks to me as if besides the better drive mechanism there is no improvement of any note over what was on offer in the eighties. I'm glad I obtained a Schools mechanism to try to fit under my detailed, renamed, old "Lincolnshire" body - that so called valve gear on 222 looks awful.

The panel on the cylinders should be green if you are trying to portray a Darlington paint job. which would I believe be standard on these locos pre WW2. A white edged black panel is exactly what Margate used to offer too. I mixed some Railmmatch Doncaster and Darlington greens together to match the Hornby body colour as best I could and painted in the patch, along with other areas that I had altered on loco and (in particular) the tender - which I turned into a stepped sided one.

Why Lincolnshire? My native county for a start, and the only D49 I know of that ever operated (albeit briefly) on the GN section.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

The Hornby model has extra lining too, around the join between the cab and firebox cladding.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Morayshire as preserved has the wrong tender for the portrayed livery period, and whether the shade of the green paint is based on good evidence I do not know - but it is certainly very diffrent to the green on other preserved LNER locos. I think there is enough reason arising from those observations alone to create doubts about other aspects of authenticity, such as the lining. It would be better to look at period monochrome photos of clean D49s if you wish to see how much lining was applied, and I suspect the answer is far more than Hornby have bothered with.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Morayshire in 1929 at Eastfield, recently ex Darlington works
Morayshire Eastfield 1929.jpg
Lining seems to be the same
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

In the version of the image you have posted the size and definition is so limited that very little if any of the lining is properly visible, and the area around the cab front is in BLACK shadow! What evidence is that? :shock:

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Interesting.The early pic I posted was from the Hatton's website but this one from the Hornby site has the covers as green.

http://www.hornby.com/shop/locomotives/ ... eley-d491/

At the top of the page it's called a D49/2 but at the bottom it's a D49/1.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

blackout60800 wrote:Morayshire in 1929 at Eastfield, recently ex Darlington works
Morayshire Eastfield 1929.jpg
Lining seems to be the same

Lining would be black/white/white . The lining would follow the both cab edges, around the cab windows and the cab front below the roof.
Footplate, steps and tender should be lined in red.

I think the model is a waste of time and money, unless you want a cheap new basic loco .
The only thing that maybe useful? is the new chassis excluding the bogie even then new valve gear at a minimum.
Why have Hornby done a Hunt with a Shire chassis?? The tender is totally wrong as its the old tender drive model wrong size etc.

You would be better off buying a cheap body of ebay with a Comet chassis and e,g a Bachmann K3 tender
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Why Lincolnshire? My native county for a start, and the only D49 I know of that ever operated (albeit briefly) on the GN section.
Yorkshire also operated briefly on the GN main line and was Driver Sparshatt's regular steed when she did. And that's MY home county!

The green comes from the oft-repeated myth that Darlington used a different green. Its the same colour Darlington repainted 4472 in 1969(?) which was mixed wrongly.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A myth ???

Precision Paints sell both LNER Doncaster and LNER Darlington Green
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

It most sincerely, is not a myth. I've had the pleasure of talking to someone very much in the know, associated with the A1 Trust and the makeup of the two different paints is very different. He does in fact have samples of the original paint from each type, and it was his research that led to the paint being used on Tornado - try and guess which one of the two shades that is! :wink:

Don't forget that paint itself, by its very natural, varies from batch to batch but generally one shade of LNER green is darker than the other.

The Doncaster one is a case of "adding more yellow" apparently, in basic terms. I don't know the full ins and outs myself, so can't comment further, but I would suggest Malcolm Crawley of the Gresley Society is the best bet for the full facts.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:In the version of the image you have posted the size and definition is so limited that very little if any of the lining is properly visible, and the area around the cab front is in BLACK shadow! What evidence is that? :shock:
Here's the link for the original full size photo: http://www.srpssteam.com/locos/morayshire.htm :mrgreen:
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That photo isn't much help, but in the galleries section there's a picture from the Doncaster Plant open day (was it as long ago as 2003?) which shows that in preservation at least there is no lining at the cab/firebox join.