SENTINELS

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

SENTINELS

Post by redtoon1892 »

They are selling out fast so if you want a one now is the time.
http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: SENTINELS

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Would love one, but to me there over priced for what they are, and why only 500 of each, so they make 3-4-5,000 then bin the molds, total madness!

Going to see them on E-Bay soon, as RARE 0-4-0's 120 quid, stick 'em

If Hornby can build and sell bucketful's of L1's for 75 quid I'm not paying 85 quid for a 0-4-0 just because it's a Limited Edition, make them permanently for 45/50 quid and I'll buy a couple. :evil:

Rant over 8)

manna

Now if I could find the plans for one !!!!!!!!
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Aye - I thought them a bit pricey too when you can get a Heljan Clayton for a couple of quid more or even less.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Would love one, but to me there over priced for what they are, and why only 500 of each, so they make 3-4-5,000 then bin the molds, total madness!
either

a/ they're using aluminium moulds that will be shot after 5000 odd mouldings.

or more likely

b/ They have bought/had allocated some many production days at the factory in China and have chosen to use the for new models. The moulds will still be there but will only be used if they think they can sell another 5000 models quickly.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I was after 3 but not at those prices, still i like the look of it and may be tempted for 1.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Model Rail Sentinel MR-003 (BR early emblem 68184) is now sold out. Due to strong demand we are now looking at options for more BR early emblem Sentinels in Batch

Source - Modelrail
leonr2z
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by leonr2z »

Pity they don't do N Gauge. Could be tempted even at those prices!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Having looked at their site all the prices are OTT . £12 for a Box van just because its painted a different colour. Hattons do the new Bachmann Vans for £6.

No thanks, will wait for ebay and see how prices go + as said its a tiny little shunter and rather ugly as well.

:shock: :roll:
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Dear All

at the risk of being sectioned, I am one of those that has invested in a Sentinel. The initial price was set at c £70, but went up due to increased costs. When you consider current steam & diesel shunting engines offered by RTR manufacturers, they retail in a range of £ 60 - 66.00, dropping down according to the retailers profit margins.

In the case of the Sentinel, potential buyers are offered a locomotive that hasn't scored highly in model railway polls & wouldn't necessarily have been produced by the Big Two, but which operated across pretty wide areas in LNER & BR(Eastern) areas. Given that this area is still to achieve its full potential, and is represented this year by Hornby B1 & B17, plus their Railroad D49 & Tornado, I elected for something different, and one which suits both smaller locations & layouts, and therefore, possibly many modellers.

Consequently, my Sentinel will be kept busy, shunting Private Owner, LNER, & BR (Early) wagons, with its J72 'stable mates'. I just hope that either Bachmann or Hornby subsequently deliver a suitable North Eastern mineral locomotive in the near future, cos my J39s may have to work a lot of overtime!

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

[quote="Greedy Boards"]Dear All

at the risk of being sectioned, I am one of those that has invested in a Sentinel.

How about giving an opinion on its performance, appearance and value for money etc.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Ah, although already allocated to their new 'sheds', the Sentinels will take some time to arrive, so your patience would be much appreciated. Will also try to get to the Middleton Railway in Leeds, and compare it with the real thing.

Still, I believe that the opportunity to model Dunston Coal Staithes has now taken another step forward, and a Q6 and/or a J27 would complement the J72/Sentinel combo very well.

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Saw the BR version at Railex over the weekend on Chris Nevard's layout. It's certainly a lovely looking model and the drive seemed far better than anything you'll get from a Beetle or similar. Very smooth and for it's size powerful. Would I buy one, yes, but it's in conflict with a certain Eastern railbus that is due out from Heljan......sometime.

Have you noticed that around the time of the VAT change how prices had hyper jumped.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

redtoon1892 wrote:Sentinel at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVSgvBm7 ... re=related
Is that irritating juddering motion the product of too few frames per secong in the digital moving image, or does the thing really stutter along the rails when running at low speed?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Chris Nevard said on RMWeb that the film on YouTube was jerky and shouldn't be taken as evidence of the running of the loco. The one I saw at Warley ran beautifully.