Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Atlantic's works: Ivatt large boilered Prarie?

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Graeme

Both locos looking terrific. I've still not got around to finishing the work I started on my O2/3. However, I'm going to find new expansion links out of my spares box and replace those on the Heljan model - in the process I'll be able to correctly rivet the eccentric rod to the extension that comes from the base of the expansion link - I'm yet to fathom why Heljan designed the eccentric rod with the near right angle extension at the leading end? I'm also intending to move the radius rods outwards and reduce the 'elbowness' of the return cranks.

May I also suggest you remove the circle of rivets on the smokebox door that shouldn't be there. I'm also thinking of fitting new Spencer double action buffers to mine - I don't like the plastic heads on those provided.

Have received my set of Heljan O2/3 spares for other projects like the O1.

Regards

Woodcock29
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I agree that the smokebox door rivets probably ought to come off. I did intend to fit new, better expansion links and may still do so at a later date, but given that the return crank is possibly only glued to the back of the hex head crankpin screw with no form of physical key or lock, I decided to leave the return crank / eccentric rod alone as far as possible at this stage. I couldn't resist trying a little bit of gentle straightening though.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I never tire looking at the conversion/improvement of RTR locos.

There must be a reason why the eccentric rod has the right angled extension, but I cannot think of one.

It isn't a cheap solution, but I plan to use the Comet (Wizard) V2 valve gear on my Nucast O2/2. The coupling rods left over can be used as replacement for the Kay's examples in the B2 on the roundtuit shelf.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Andrew can relax now, the smokebox door is de-pimpled.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Resin casting of long promised parts continues as and when precious time allows.

This weekend I'm off to another Grantham layout practice / troubleshooting weekend.

My P1, maligned for inability to cope with some particular piece of Grantham's pointwork, has been to see its lawyer even though I urged it to wait until we've done a further track test. I have two other locos wishing to apply for track testing this weekend too.

Grime aside, I've finished messing about with the Heljan O2:
STA70382 lnerf.jpg
The works painter has done his best in the available time with this oddity but hasn't been able to finish the lining out.
STA70380 lnerf.jpg

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Magnificent, and (in my eyes at least) entirely credible.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I like it, a cross between a K2 and a C1, I think that would have worked.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Graeme,

Love the O2 and the might have been. 8) The 2-6-2 wheelbase is different to the V3 tank engine, what kind of surgery did you perform on the chassis?
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The most careful marking out I could manage, then a small pilot hole from each side, followed by a 6mm drill, and some annoying corrective filing created the new third axleway. I won't tell you about the other corrective measures I had to take as they would even more wildly horrify anybody whose methods get anywhere close to proper engineering....

It works.

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all

I like the 2-6-2 conversion to double slide bars, but I can't deduce how you made the short coupling rods for the rear two driving wheels.

The V1/3 was 7'3+9'0, but yours look like 7'3+6'3, and I can't see the join.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

There's a joint mid way along the rod with a strip of nickel silver soldered to the inside face of the joined rod. Paint hides it well on this side, less so on the other.

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Graeme

I expect you realise you are now quite close to making 3279 - all you need to do is shorten another version of the prairie's body and fine tune the cab plus and use an Atlantic chassis - you appear to have mostly sorted the cylinders and valve gear that would be needed. Looks like you'll beat me to making a model of 3279!

Andrew
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I'd like to see 3279 in its final (1938) form with the high footplate large cab etc. Building one was my first dream when I retired and got back into modelling (perhaps I should say moved on from rough kit building).

I also think that 3279 was an interesting loco when running with four cylinders, a medium level footplate, and outside valve gear (I can't spell Walschaerts).

I have a couple of Kay's C1 kits put aside, one for the 3279, and the other for the booster fitted 4419. The big problem is the chassis as the Kay's bogie is far too short, but it won't clear the driving wheels if replaced with one of the correct length.

I am kicking around the idea of fixing the rear bogie axle to the chassis and fitting a pony truck for the front bogie axle to become a sort of 2-6-2.

Earlswood nob
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Hi Earlswood Nob,
Be careful with the Keyser chassis. My dad built one of their C1's many years ago, and it was fraught with difficulty. With the 'correct' leading bogie, the rear wheelset caught the chassis frames on even gentle curves, while the 'wrong' bogie stuck the leading wheelset hard under the bufferbeam. His solution was to chop a good portion of the mainframes to accommodate the proper bogie and make sure it was flexible enough elsewhere for Hornby curves.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Thanks Manxman

Another modeller confirms my opinion of the Kay's chassis. I made a scratch chassis for the C1 that I built in standard form.

We better not hijack Atlantic3279's thread too much.

Earlswood nob