Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Ivatt tender variations

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A well overdue update. Tender parts a plenty now cast and I'm making good progress with the K2 bodies. I'm beginning to think that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I've even found myself something I can do between resin pours without getting into a hopelessly confused state - it may even have a useful result, or at least an interesting one anyway.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Ivatt large boilered Prairie

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

In between casting sessions, including two or three days when I just didn't want to look at any more resin, I've been tinkering with a side-project as I have already mentioned.

Around 1907 H. A Ivatt is known to have overseen preparation of a plan to equip the GNR with the fast goods locos that it was needing by using the Atlantic large boiler on a 2-6-2 engine with 5' 8" coupled wheels. The drawing for this has intrigued me for some time. In line with the temporary fashion for compounds the loco was to be a four cylinder compound. As the GN board preferred a much cheaper solution to the company's immediate all that was actually built was short series of slightly uprated 0-6-0s with similarly sized coupled wheels.

Had the Prarie design been built as planned hindsight suggests that it compound expansion would not have been retained for many years. Had any such compounds survived for long enough to fall due for rebuilding in the early years of Gresley's regime I think it plausible to suggest that use would have been made of parts already developed for the two-cylinder Moguls of GN class H3, LNER K2. All very convenient when I have access to K2 bodies and had one remaining V3 chassis that could be adapted to suit. There's still a lot to finish off on the model, including alteration of the outside motion, but here's progress to date.
2 lnerf.jpg
4 lnerf.jpg
When time allows I also plan to produce something much closer to the original Ivatt version, but with two cylinder simple propulsion in common with the "proven" Atlantics of the time.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Re: Atlantic's works: Ivatt large boilered Prarie?

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

That's rather handsome Graeme! Does make you wonder if it would have been anywhere near comparable to the V2 though. Perhaps it would have fitted somewhere between the V2 and the V4 in terms of power and route availability?
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

That looks absolutely marvellous!
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

But what's it called???? V5 perhaps or maybe V10, if it was a V1 first but had its number shifted in the sequence to make way for the new V1. Another completely believable nevawaz, I wonder what will happen in 20 years when people stumble across this thread, some interesting "facts" may emerge in the LNER history. Lovely work Mr King, look forward to the completed model.

Paul.
Last edited by nzpaul on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Goodness knows what it is called...

Given the loading gauge restriction on outside cylinder diameter, the likelihood of the "simple" version of the loco having just two cylinders, and the rarity of boiler pressures above 170 or 180 PSI on GNR locos then I doubt that this would have been anything like a rival to the later V2 design. Tractive effort would presumably have been no more than that of the K2s, but the larger grate and (eventually) the large superheater as used on the Atlantics should have given it sustained ability to raise steam of a very useful kind.

Even if this website is lucky enough to still here in 20 years I doubt that any of the pictures will still be accessible. I think genuine LNER history, captured by ink and paper, is safe.

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Had it been built, and then worked on by Gresley, it enters the LNER as V1 and is built in quantity instead of K3s; and my suspicion would be that the V2 we know comes sooner. The tankies are then V3/V4; and the light 2-6-2 - perhaps it never happens? - since there are plenty of Ivatt V1s displaced by V2s, available as secondary MT power. All very interesting might have beens.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

It looks as if it could be developed into Gresley's original 1915 ideas for a four-cylindered Pacific.

I believe that had a similar; 5'6" boiler, GNR cab, wide firebox, and piston valves above the front section of footplate.

As the V2 was developed from the A1. This could be termed a reverse V2 development.

Earlswood Nob
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The NER B13, B14 & B15 were a bit of a failure in the MT role but were decent on the fast freights. Sort of same duty class of loco as Ivatt was investigating. Was his thinking just on freight or did he have a mind to try them on passenger duties.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Ivatt large boilered Prairie?

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Interesting but of course ultimately inconclusive for us to speculate on all of these points. Whatever Ivatt's original intentions may have been it seems almost inevitable that a fitted loco capable of reasonable speed would get "appropriated" from time to time for passenger work. Had it turned out to be unexpectedly effective then I imagine the original intention would be quickly eclipsed by practical needs.

The weakness of course in the long term with a large, wide grate was that if the loco ceased to be up to the job of hauling the heavy trains that stopped infrequently it wasn't really very suitable for light turns or spending time idling around in loops and yards. At least the cheaper 0-6-0s that were built instead could be cascaded when the K1s, K2s and K3s saw them off.

On the other hand, had the (say) 180 psi 2-cylinder prairie shown great promise then it may have been followed quickly by versions with three cylinders, maybe making use of the Atlantic boiler with even larger grate that was drafted out but not built for the projected further booster-fitted Atlantic rebuilds. Possibly 220 psi and long travel valve gear might have been applied too. Who knows, and does it matter?

Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Once again from "Master Builders of Steam", Bulleid apparently proposed a 2-6-2 in or around 1904.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:...Who knows, and does it matter?
When it results in a never-wazza as neat looking and 'right' as your project is shaping up, it's a lot of fun. Thanks for showing it.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Needing to keep up with casting as well as life outside of the hobby, progress on the Ivatt Prairie has been slow, but I have managed a little more, not necessarily in the way I anticipated. This is due to the arrival on the workbench just over a week ago of another loco which could, fairly logically, be worked on side-by-side with the Prairie since many of the tools, tasks and necessary parts/materials applied equally to the two locos. Pictures will explain more tomorrow...

Ah, yes, and while I'm about it, what about post 1929 pre-war livery for the Prairie that never was? Simple interpretation of such rules as applied tells me that it ought to be lined black, but do others disagree? Green would look very pretty and would add to the Atlantic look-alike quality of the model, although I'm already well behind target with some other green loco liveries that I should have finished off long ago. Do I really want to embark on yet another?

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Graeme

I have no doubt it would black lined in red. A long K2!

Woodcock29
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

A vote for green here - would make it much more of a contrast lined up next to the Atlantic and a V2. In my opinion of course.