Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Ivatt large boilered Prarie?

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Woodcock29 wrote:Hi Graeme

I expect you realise you are now quite close to making 3279 - all you need to do is shorten another version of the prairie's body and fine tune the cab plus and use an Atlantic chassis - you appear to have mostly sorted the cylinders and valve gear that would be needed. Looks like you'll beat me to making a model of 3279!

Andrew
Yes, I'd noticed that although I'm not following my planned route I am nonetheless ticking some useful boxes as I go along....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: The works painter has done his best in the available time with this oddity but hasn't been able to finish the lining out.
STA70380 lnerf.jpg
that looks fantastic!!! I'm tempted to give that a go myself, numbered in the 984-999 series just after the V2s post 1943. Does 15 seem a realistic amount for a real-life batch of these? I like to think so.

of course by that time they would have been reaching the end of their operational life along with the atlantics, so a perfect excuse for some sympathetic weathering.

looking at this has made me wonder what a Pacific along those lines would be like
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Turning the compound into a two cylinder is entirely logical and follows on from the conversion of the Vulcan Atlantic to a two cylinder locomotive using K2 cylinders. However, the thought occurred to me that with the 7ft 3inch spacing between the leading a centre driving wheels a three cylinder conjugated valve gear locomotive could have been produced - a wide firebox K3 using that locomotives cylinders valve gear and crank axle. If the capacity of the boiler was in question the cylinders could have been lined to say 17.5 inches. With 17.5 inch cylinders and 175 per sq inch boiler pressure the tractive effort would have been 26,127 lb, with 18.5 inch cylinders this would have been raised to 29,198 lb.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

An interesting thought. My assumption in the model was that the rebuilding took place very soon after Gresley's entry into office, on which basis it would have been too early for the three cylinder era, but an assumed later date would save messing about with the valve gear and cylinders as I did.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Evening Graeme. Just in mind whilst I was rummaging through my modelling plans for the year - is there any other proprietary chassis that could be used under the K2 other than the V3 with the adapted valve gear? I'm looking to avoid the split chassis as much as possible across my fleet, hence the J39s, V2s and V3s of that vintage have all disappeared now...
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm not sure if the chassis from the recently warmed-over version of the V3 can be used, avoiding the split chassis "snag" that so many perceive (even though I seem to be able to make them all work tolerably well, and resurrect them when the axles disintegrate). If Bachmann, in its infernal wisdom has compensated for the loss of the big central block by extending the casting outwards into the side tanks then that unit won't be an attractive option.

An SE Finecast K3 chassis is of course "proprietary" but you have to build it yourself, and you'd have to alter the motion brackets, slidebars, crossheads and cylinders......

In other news, I've finally managed to get back to a little bit of casting again today, after a ship-load of other demands on my time and problems to solve. The "must do" list is however still creaking under the weight of non-modelling matters.

Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Of course if Dave were to re-issue the Nu-Cast K2 with an etched chassis that could be a whole new ball game!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

A close match, although not perfect, is the Hornby Fowler 4mt.........

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning everyone

Further to comments from Atlantic & Pebbles;

Gibson do a K2 chassis, which will fit the Nucast kit.

The NuCast kit tends to go for high prices on Ebay, and I'm sure that many people would like South Eastern Finecast to re-issue it soon.

Dave Somers did a conversion to produce a K2. I have seen pics of it and it's a great piece of work, but I don't think he is on any of the modeller's websites.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I've a feeling somebody who might read this is in touch with Dave Somers. We might get a photograph through suitable channels.

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Isn't there a K2 available from London Road Models :?:
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

shhhhhh mustn't talk about etched brass locos!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I've a feeling somebody who might read this is in touch with Dave Somers
Sorry, I missed my cue there, didn't I? Here you go.
Dave_Somers_K2.jpg
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

It seems to me most likely that had Ivatt produced an atlantic boiler 2-6-2, and it was a success to match the large boilered atlantic, that reshapes Doncaster freight and mixed traffic development very significantly. No need for the fast 0-6-0 types with 5'8" wheels, and in turn that knocks on to the 5'8" 2-6-0s; which are built instead as developments of the 2-6-2. They might even have progressed to an equivalent 4'8" 2-8-2 series, instead of the 2-8-0 types (somewhat more modest in power capability than the humungous P1).
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

john coffin wrote:shhhhhh mustn't talk about etched brass locos!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
Why not? The London Road K2 looks very nice when built correctly, with skill and care. I have no idea however (bar plenty of doubt) about whether one can have the chassis separately. Can Mr Sturrock's former colleague provide the answer?