Modelling the GCR

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

506butlerh
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Modelling the GCR

Post by 506butlerh »

Hello everyone, first post here!

I’ve always wanted to model the GCR, and I’ve decided to focus on around 1947 (immediately before nationalisation). I have a Bachmann B1 (1123) that I’m going to use, but I have no idea what coaches were in use at that time. Could anyone here please tell me the usual formation for express and stopping trains at that time?

I am also aware that a few GW locos ran cross country services at the time (via Culworth Junction), but I know very little about these trains, any information on these services would be much appreciated.

LONG LIVE THE GREAT CENTRAL!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Modelling the GCR

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Welcome aboard. As well as the Gresley stock introduced on the "better" trains by then, there would still have been plenty of GCR matchboard stock (and earlier panelled bogie stock) in use. None of that available new RTR, but D&S did some matchboard kits in the long past, which you may still find built or un-built, on sale. Jidenco / Falcon Brass did kits for the Barnum coaches (not easy kits) which may be available again currently, although I forget the latest supplier. Some GCR panelled bogie stock kits were produced under the old Perseverence label. Recently, Alan Rose and Martin Kirkby have been producing 3D printed, fairly simple, kits for Barnums and a few matchboard corridor carriages.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
506butlerh
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by 506butlerh »

3279 Thank you for your information, but I was more looking for the specific types of coaches that were in use (eg corridor, brake, first or third) and in what order they were positioned. I’m happy to use just Gresley stock that you can buy RTR but I would like to know what specific coaches I need to buy. Some model/catalogue numbers would be helpful.
Last edited by 506butlerh on Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Not my sphere of knowledge, but others on here may be able to assist. Is any of it covered in the Banks & Carter book, or even on Steve Banks' website?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.