Guisborough Station in N scale

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Ricj
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Guisborough Station in N scale

Post by Ricj »

Ever since I researched and put together the very successful 'Railways in Guisborough' exhibition in the town museum back in 2013, it has been my ambition to build the most accurate, working model of the station possible. Around a year ago after receiving an impressively detailed laser cut model kit of a shepherds hut from my GF, I had the realisation/revelation that since I possessed hundreds of photos of the station as well as the architects plans, perhaps I could have the model laser cut to an extremely high level of detail and accuracy. And so began a very steep learning curve that began with me mistakenly believing that all I'd need would be the station plans and led to me learning (basic 2D) CAD.

I have also decided that I will use Finetrax from British Finescale and after a couple of false starts elsewhere, I am now working with Gavin at Stoneybridge Structures to create the laser cut sections of the station buildings in MDF.

I've decided to build in N for the simple reason that I have nowhere near enough space for anything bigger and I also hope to ultimately be able to transport the layout to local shows in my car.

As I am a new member here, I'm not sure how it all works but I hope to use this thread to chart the progress of the project, firstly from the work I've already done over the past half year and then on into the future work I plan to do.

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated along the way!
198034-1.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Guisborough Station in N scale

Post by Dave »

Welcome to the forum.
I know one person on here that will be taking an interest.

Looking forward to seeing the progress, you can not have enough NER/LNER layouts.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I like the decision to use Finetrax. The few N gauge layouts I’ve seen that use it have vastly more realistic-looking track than the so-called “finescale” Peco pseudo code 55.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Ricj
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Ricj »

Thanks Dave, looking forward to sharing my progress on here!
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:44 pm I like the decision to use Finetrax. The few N gauge layouts I’ve seen that use it have vastly more realistic-looking track than the so-called “finescale” Peco pseudo code 55.
Yeah it was discovering this system that essentially made me decide to proceed. I've always thought the off the shelf N scale track looked completely unrealistic so it was a game changer for me. Saying that, despite building a fair amount of track, I'm yet to learn how to power and join it. Do you have any tips? I bought some of the microscopic fishplates but I think I read somewhere that some people tend to solder it together?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Lovely subject that will surely keep you out of mischief as practically everything will be by DIY. I really enjoy the very civilised atmosphere of what became the NER, all those overall roof stations against the oft inclement weather, the elegant system map in tiles, the sensible deployment of hopper wagons and staithes. And to ice the cake, of all England I feel North Yorkshire has the most elegant set of women, slim and with great posture: now that will be a test of modelling skill in N...
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Welcome, good to see you on here after we spoke at Thirsk. Guisborough has been done before in N gauge - it was in BRM in the mid- to late 90s but I never saw it at a show anywhere. From memory, in 2mm it ought to be 12' - 14' scenic, depending where you model up to. Sparrow Lane bridge would be the obvious break, but you might have to bring it in a bit depending what space you have available.

I shall, of course, be keeping a weather eye on this project.
Ricj
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Ricj »

jwealleans wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:17 am Welcome, good to see you on here after we spoke at Thirsk. Guisborough has been done before in N gauge - it was in BRM in the mid- to late 90s but I never saw it at a show anywhere. From memory, in 2mm it ought to be 12' - 14' scenic, depending where you model up to. Sparrow Lane bridge would be the obvious break, but you might have to bring it in a bit depending what space you have available.

I shall, of course, be keeping a weather eye on this project.
Yes nice to speak to you too. I have seen the layout online and spoken briefly to the guy who made it. It was very good but I am aiming for a higher level of accuracy. I am only planning/able to model the station and immediate surroundings for now as I have hardly any space. I have roughly worked out by printing and drawing on a map what the layout will cover and that it will be 70x30 inches so it can fit in the boot of my car. If/when I come into more space, I may add a second board to take it up to Sparrow Lane bridge.
Ricj
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Ricj »

I have decided that since it is too fiddly to post photos with old fashioned design of this forum, and as it doesn't really make sense to post the same things on two forums, I will chart the progress on RMWeb which you can hopefully access here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/1 ... nt-5582554

But I am more than happy to chat and discuss my posts on RMWeb here on this thread, if people aren't members or don't want to join that forum. I will keep checking this thread just in case.