West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Here's some more food for thought!
Attachments
BLAIR1.jpg
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

I don't think Airfix makes those!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Like you St J I started on an early Ford tractor with steel wheels. Starting it up by hand cranking it on Petrol then when she was warm switching over to Parafin.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That's a cracking photo, St J and I'd love to have the time to scratch up something like that. As it is I think the two spare Lowfits may end up carrying Springside ploughs, Cambridge rollers or something similar.

I have got these to the 'almost finished' stage - they need some powders when I next have a session with those and then they're done.

I had the whole rake down at Ormesby on Monday and they do look quite good.

The Ebay buys are in the weathering queue now. Some of them had a spin around Grantham the last time I was there and happily all ran OK.

I see the roof on that GE van is pulling away slightly - have to have a look at that, although it can't be too apparent to the eye or I'd have noticed it last night.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
A great thread for wagon/coach building. I am slowly working through it and trying to take it all in.
I was especially interested with the Nucast Sentinel railcar as I have one that needs attention. I may well go for the Bullant solution when I get another of those round tuits.
A thought occured to me, while I was looking at all the tractors, is that Traction/Ploughing engines must have been transported by rail. A quick scan of Tatlow's volume one and there are ex-GER wagons for such purposes.
A old friend of mine (since passed away) had two Fowler ploughing engines and used to dredge out lakes (that's where I met him), and a wagon with one on would make a nice tribute to his memory as he was a LNER enthusiast.
I am sure someone makes oo gauge traction engines.
Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

WOW...what a quick reply!
I've had a look at the Langley models and they're good but expensive. I often wonder about Langley Models as the shop is at Crawley and I sometimes pass it, but it always looks deserted.
The Rowlands models look better value.
Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eyes open for one of those round tuits.
Earlswood nob
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Many years ago in the 1960s I stayed near the Midlands Motor Museum at Measham whose shop was overstocked with Matchbox Models of Yesteryear Allchin Traction engines, Aveling Rollers and Fowler Showmans. They ceased to be available elsewhere so I bought up stocks and started to modify them, long before whitemetal kits were available. I still have them all and one of the detailed Aveling rollers populates a well wagon on my layout.

The late Rev. Teddy Boston who was of course also a Traction Engine owner encouraged some of my conversions.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Oxford Diecast have just issued some nice looking Showman engines.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Oxford also do a road loco version of the Fowler B6. Their range amazes me but I am biased as I act as consultant for their bus models!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

And congratulations to Mr Wealleans, on the 1000th post.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I've had a Langley Fowler BB1 Ploughing engine in stock to build for ages. One problem is that at 20.5 tons I need to have a suitable vehicle to carry it. I thought I had one in the form of an NER A2 (MAC L) that I built years ago. However, I've never been convinced that it looks right, and comparison with Mr Tatlow's latest books shows that the side frames are 1mm to shallow!

I had thought to load the traction engine onto my ex-Dapol MAC (see my modelling thread) - but - of course - that can only take 14 tons!

Time to re-work the MAC L !
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Blimey. 1000 posts, eh? I missed that creeping up on us. Thanks for pointing it out, Manna.

What to do to mark the occasion? How about a Conflat.

Standard Bachmann with chains and bracing between the W irons added. Makes a nice model for not much effort. I do wish they'd hurry up and do these containers as an accessory pack.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

That is a nice Conflat, I have plans for one on my to do list. Can I ask where you got the chains and bracing from, or did you make them yourself.

Bachmann do an accessory 4 pack for the AF small container, code 36-003.

Regards

Richard
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

The AF has been around a while Richard, in fact it goes back to Mainline days. The non-insulated A-type on Jonathan's wagon is a very new introduction.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'