West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Tom F »

Yes, I agree, the sunflowers are beautiful!
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:
jwealleans wrote:You'll all end up blind, one way or another.
That gets my vote for quotation of the week.

Bevleys? Can you describe the principle features to refresh memories* please V?

*(or as per the mis-spelling I once saw in a very polite broken-English letter from a Turkish gentleman, "mamories")
The layout could be easily recognised by the scrum of middle aged blokes crowded around drooling..... and not just at the model sunflowers... :D

Regards,

Vernon
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

Now I know why my operators kept disappearing! I did think they were popping off for a quick cup of tea. How wrong of me!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

They did say they were off for 'T', David......
Danby Wiske
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Danby Wiske »

jwealleans wrote:They did say they were off for 'T', David......
And the award for loudest groan of the week goes to...
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

PO wagons lettered and weathering started. Transfers are from Cambridge Custom Transfers, sheet BL43.

A word for anyone else doing this in the future; even though it had been varnished over, the white spirit in the weathering mix started to take the lettering off the Bachmann coke wagon.

Coal loads are now in preparation.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Morning all on a dripping day in Surrey
I like the distressed/weathered wagons. My memories of the local pick-up train the came along the branch (Guildford-Redhill) in the 50's, was a rag-tag bunch of wagons, nothing like the merry-go-round trains of the present day. In LNER days with many more PO wagons, it must have been even more varied.
Earlswood nob
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Good morning Jonathan,

I like the wagons, even the unintended weathering effect!

I've just been working on a batch of wagons using CCT decals. I applied them over my usual base of Johnson's Klear, dabbed them in well with MicroSol and applied more Klear over the top, but I've been left with a just discernable ridge at the edge of the cut transfer. I've not had this before with CCT products and wondered whether you have encountered any problems with recently purchased products?

If not then it's just me but I can't work out what I've done differently.

Regards,

Vernon
D2100

Post by D2100 »

jwealleans wrote:PO wagons lettered and weathering started. Transfers are from Cambridge Custom Transfers, sheet BL43.
Are you meaning the numbering, J? I believe he does some in a more rounded typeface rather than the Gills Sans-ish font, but I can never work out which sheet it is
A word for anyone else doing this in the future; even though it had been varnished over, the white spirit in the weathering mix started to take the lettering off the Bachmann coke wagon.
Been there :D Over the years though, my way of working has altered - rather than a massive wash, I now use smaller amounts of paint in a more controlled manner if working in ticklish areas. I also defer applying transfers until I've done the bulk of the messy work, and then just blend them in, often with a dark gouache (obviously this is more relevant if you're not keeping the factory lettering, but if you are, the gouache, being water based, is less likely to do anything unhelpful).

Particularly like the finish on the wagon at bottom left, BTW.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I've just had a look, Vernon and though I can make out the edge of the transfers if i catch the light just right, there's no discernible raised edge. I try to get the edge to sit in a plank line if I can which may help. I also used Microsol to apply these.

As Ian noted, I do mean that the BR lettering is from CCT. I think BL43 may be the sheet you mean, Ian - there are several different fonts and sizes on the sheet. And I'd bet myself you'd be the one to spot the missing brake lever.
D2100

Post by D2100 »

jwealleans wrote:. And I'd bet myself you'd be the one to spot the missing brake lever.
Ha! That wasnt sarcasm, I do like the finish; I did see the missing bit, but kept it shut for once :wink:
Ian Fleming

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This week's amusement - a bit of unashamed populism, some more tractors for Thurston. The kids love them at shows. The Lowfits are a bit of a project in their own right (forgive me if you've heard this story before) - I was helping clear a building before demolition and there were two cardboard boxes of model railway gear in a corner. I think they'd come from the Old People's Home next door. Part of the contents were four or five Bachmann Lowfits, some of which had had the decks painted yellow and containers glued on. I removed the containers and most of the paint and then the chassis, which is quite wrong. Parkside will supply sprues for the correct chassis for £4 a wagon and so I now have another 3 correct Lowfits (with a further one to assemble). The buffer beams have to be made up and buffers are from Lanarkshire Models. I've kept the Bachmann livery on the right hand one - the others will have lettering from CCT.

Just for variety, the lower two are in an LMS 3 plank (Parkside) and the scratchbuilt LMS D1986 from back upthread. I've added solebar detail to that with Archers transfers but otherwise the original builder did a very good job.

As an aside, you can use the chassis from the PC61 fitted van kit for the Lowfit and then build the van as unfitted with some bodywork changes. There's one of those somewhere earlier in this thread and another in the future projects box.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Very nice - one point however - Ferguson tractors were loaded at Coventry two to a wagon! They were loaded at Banner Lane four to an articulated trailer and then transhipped, not always at Coventry though.

There was a Coventry-Hull train regularly run to deliver the tractors to Hull docks for export.

Watch your dates though. The Fergie 20 was introduced in 1946 and produced until 1956 when the 35 (red & grey) was introduced.

The trains from Coventry to Hull operated from Coventry to Rugby, then to Market Harborough, and over the old LNWR/GNR joint line through Hallaton, Melton Mowbray, and John O'Gaunt to Newark and then on to Hull via York. Jim Jackson does a very good bit in LMS Journal on these trains running up that line from Mkt. Harborough.

Allan T Condie - Author of the book "The Fergie 20 Family" (22,500 copies sold to date worldwide!)

Sometimes the trains also included CKD tractors in packing cases. Adds to the interest!

Now if you want to go before 1946 its a bit more complex - but if you are interested I can advise!
D2100

Post by D2100 »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:Very nice - one point however - Ferguson tractors were loaded at Coventry two to a wagon!
That's interesting, St J. Not doubting what you're saying, but there are enough pictures around of tractors loaded singly, so presumably other manufacturers didnt follow suit?
Ian Fleming

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I could just invoke Rule 1, but as these are for an exhibition layout there has been a little more thought than that..... Ferguson tractors were exported through Harwich as I have a photo (from a BR magazine) of one being craned into a ship there. There may be others on the quayside awaiting loading as well, I can't recall. I took the loading from a Paul Bartlett photo, mainly for details of how they were secured but they were loaded singly on lowfits or similar. They may have been David Browns - didn't they have a factory at Coventry as well?

Dates - 1951/2 is what I usually have in mind, which is why you still see a minority of wagons with post-1936 big four lettering. In any event it's after they stopped routing the exhaust pipe along the transmission case and out the back behind the seat.

I didn't say they were en route direct from the factory either....

What did they load them onto which had room for two? I had been toying with that idea; I suppose a Chivers Long Low would probably do it.