Edgware GN. Now Bounds Green.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. Now Bounds Green.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

With the ever expanding baseboard total going into the house!, building will finish, and cork and track will be laid. The last baseboard has now been built and will be installed today. I have built a extension on the side of two baseboards where the Khyber Pass and Hertford Flyover curve out, the extra 150mm makes a big difference.

manna
Attachments
DSCF7376.JPG
DSCF7379.JPG
DSCF7380.JPG
DSCF7381.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Woodcock29
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Woodcock29 »

Terry what will the gradient be on the flyover?
Andrew
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Andrew

Good question, No idea, I have about 8/9ft to gain 3inches, I do know every Driver went hell for leather with any type of motive power to get over it, the N2's (on ECS) would stay back 'Before' Wood Green station until they had a clear road all the way to Bowes Park.

manna
Dave S
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Dave S »

manna wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:31 pm the extra 150mm makes a big difference.

manna
I've heard that said many a time.....

Looking good Manna, I've built a layout in a room but never thought of building a house around a layout.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

manna wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:06 am I have about 8/9ft to gain 3inches, I do know every Driver went hell for leather with any type of motive power to get over it, the N2's (on ECS) would stay back 'Before' Wood Green station until they had a clear road all the way to Bowes Park...
Realistically from those dimensions you are looking at 1 in 30 as the ruling gradient as a good outcome, by the time the transitions from and to level are factored in. What I would want to check immediately is whether the base boards are truly level, though of course if the mainline is on a slight falling gradient heading toward the flyover that's no bad thing. Plenty of tricks that can be deployed to ease the gradient, and on a positive note the current RTR N2 takes a lot of ballast for traction, and has a good motor; and despite its distant origin which conferred a plastic chassis on it, stands up to this treatment very well...
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Dave S

150mm, could be a life saver ! Anything's possible, when you're desperate, the house on this block is a bonus. How's yours getting along, missing Sandy.

manna
Last edited by manna on Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:44 am
manna wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:06 am I have about 8/9ft to gain 3inches, I do know every Driver went hell for leather with any type of motive power to get over it, the N2's (on ECS) would stay back 'Before' Wood Green station until they had a clear road all the way to Bowes Park...
Realistically from those dimensions you are looking at 1 in 30 as the ruling gradient as a good outcome, by the time the transitions from and to level are factored in. What I would want to check immediately is whether the base boards are truly level, though of course if the mainline is on a slight falling gradient heading toward the flyover that's no bad thing. Plenty of tricks that can be deployed to ease the gradient, and on a positive note the current RTR N2 takes a lot of ballast for traction, and has a good motor; and despite its distant origin which conferred a plastic chassis on it, stands up to this treatment very well...
G'Day Hatfield Shed

I got my tape measure out, laid the cork down, I reckon I could get away with 62mm from the cork to the underside of the flyover, adding the thickness of the ply (12mm) and another couple of mil for the track a reckon about 78mm in total distance of height, also it would be nearer 7' to gain that height.
manna
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That's all a lot of progress in remarkably little time!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

manna wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:55 am I got my tape measure out, laid the cork down, I reckon I could get away with 62mm from the cork to the underside of the flyover, adding the thickness of the ply (12mm) and another couple of mil for the track a reckon about 78mm in total distance of height, also it would be nearer 7' to gain that height.
Hey Manna, that's getting a bit gnarly for operational practicality, (the real gradient maxed out at 1 in 51 according to Peter Townend's 'Top Shed') although in LNER days there was no speed restriction on the approach allowing crews to properly rush the incline. (Once in BR operation, a 15mph limit was imposed and made life 'difficult'.)

A 'cheat' I would use is to make the floor of the overbridge in thin sheet steel, easy saving of 10mm; and you get the different sound from the train on the bridge as a bonus. The magnetic traction trick of magnets under the locos assigned this job, with iron or steel under the track might be considered?
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

manna wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:55 amreckon about 78mm in total distance of height, also it would be nearer 7' to gain that height.
76 mm = about 3 inches rise and say 7ft run = 84" giving a gradient of 1/28.
Plus it will be on a curve and the locomotive will pull the wheel flanges of the rolling stock against the inside rail of the curve increasing the friction by 10-20% making an effective gradient of somewhere between 1/25 and 1/22.

Even a well weighted N2 is not going to pull very much up such a gradient.

I would suggest an absolute maximum of 1/40 as the would equate to about 1/36 to 1/32 on the curve.

As Hatfield said reduce the thickness of the bridge deck, metal (steel or aluminium), thin plywood or even thick card.
Also start the failing grade on the mainline at the very north end of the station under the road bridge where the change will not be apparent.
Or even have a slight grade starting at the south end of the station and increase it under the road bridge.

I looked at doing Wood Green myself and even got the OS maps from the NLS but realised the space and gradients were not going to work.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
Dave S
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Dave S »

manna wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:47 am G'Day Dave S

150mm, could be a life saver ! Anything's possible, when you're desperate, the house on this block is a bonus. How's yours getting along, missing Sandy.

manna
Sandy is still crated up but the house renovation is going well, 420 tons now taken out and 95% of the groundworks completed, I'm hoping that 4-5 months should see us inside with just snagging to do. Looking forward to unpacking everything.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Wow, this is going to take a bit of time to respond to everyone, 'Cracks knuckles'

Graeme, Got all the tools, got all the wood and all the time in the World, Plus the inclination to get on with it. :D I have to leave in six weeks to come back down South, my turn to look after my Parents !!

Seagull & Hatfield Shed, Thank you for your information, I have changed what I'm doing. I looked under the house (bit of a tip, but handy) I found an old sign, about .7 of a mil, cut it to width (80mm) and set it on 62 mm ply, a lot closer to what I think you said I needed, I've bought back the start of the incline to 2.4 mtrs, so it starts before the bridge 'See Pics'

Dave S, I take it you've had to move 420 tons, of rock, dirt, ballast etc. to lay the foundations, was there a Castle on the site previously ?????????

manna
Attachments
DSCF7393.JPG
DSCF7394.JPG
DSCF7396.JPG
DSCF7397.JPG
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I am sure we all await with interest how the flyover operation works once the track is laid and tested. In your own time of course, no rush.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Time to move this one on, Cork was laid the other day, but as usual, the glue ran out, but I've got other tings to do. The Flyover and Khyber pass won't build itself. A fair bit of wood was cut, laid out, cut again, and again for good measure. But I now have the makings of a area that some people may recognise.

manna
Attachments
DSCF7404.JPG
DSCF7406.JPG
DSCF7409.JPG
DSCF7408.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Todays task is to build the embankment past the Flyover, This to a couple of hours, but not difficult, this line has to go over the fiddle yard and down the ramp on the other side of the fiddle yard, the supports are loose and will stay loose until I lay the track. Track has now been laid over the flyover and across the embankment.

manna
Attachments
DSCF7412.JPG
DSCF7413.JPG
DSCF7414.JPG
DSCF7415.JPG