Simon's LNER Blog - ECML/West Riding 1946-49

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Simon's LNER Blog - ECML/West Riding 1946-49

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Good luck with the new project Simon - it looks like you'll have some nice long runs to watch your Pacifics stretching their legs!

Oh and if I may please, I've been meaning to ask about your preferred GBL/Bachmann A4 conversions:-

Have you used the newer Bachmann chassis exclusively, and if so, do you know which model numbers these were introduced on? I'm no sure it is safe to assume the later sequence are all new chassis.

At a convenient moment, would you be able to post any pictures of the body mounting arrangement you have used please?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thanks Earl.

I can state that I've used two Wild Swan, two William Whitelaws and a Dominion of Canada which all use the newer Bachmann chassis. I will take some photos of its fitting later today - however the point for the retaining screw at the front end is, amazingly, in the same place on the Bachmann body shell that it is on the GBL one. I just used a slightly longer screw and all is well.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Thanks Simon, that is most helpful. :)

I seem to have fallen into the trap of extending my A4 collection (when I don't need any more) off the back of cheap GBL loco bodies! :roll:
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Yes - I also have a stack of A4s waiting to be finished as a result of the GBL bodies - sadly a health problem has put things on temporary hold as I developed a DVT three weeks ago and am on the pills - have to be careful that I do not bruise or cut myself until this is sorted so certain aspects of modelling are taboo!
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Saint Johnstoun wrote:Yes - I also have a stack of A4s waiting to be finished as a result of the GBL bodies - sadly a health problem has put things on temporary hold as I developed a DVT three weeks ago and am on the pills - have to be careful that I do not bruise or cut myself until this is sorted so certain aspects of modelling are taboo!
Very sorry to hear your news Allan - do take care of yourself.

I had been hoping for updates on your various GBL conversion projects, but they can wait.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

May I echo the Earl's sentiments and wish for a speedy recovery for your good self Allan.

I haven't forgot your request Earl, but in my haste to get home from work and do some modelling the photography was overlooked. Soon, I promise.

More postwar LNER modelling this evening.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Very interested in what you are doing with the B1s Simon.

Whilst I replaced my Bachmann Roedeer with the Hornby version, I still have a Bachmann Sir William Gray which doesn't offend me, although it isn't displayed alongside the Hornby version.

I would go as far as to say that I was quite irritated at the time, that Hornby should launch their B1, when Bachmann's/Mainline's/Replica's seemed a good representation - when there are so many other LNER classes missing from the RTR shelves.

Of course from the manufacturer 's point of view their priority is to produce models that will sell, not fill the gaps in collector's ranges.

With the sale of Mayflower recently reported, it has reminded me how immaculately that engine has always been turned out. Great she's gone to join (my favourite non-Pacific), the B12/3 at the NNR.

Returning to your work on the B1s, and in the absence of a LNER green one from Hornby, it would nice to add her in model form to my collection.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thompson's B3/3 - new tender courtesy of GBL...

Just a brief update on a long term project. The use of a cheap GBL Butler-Henderson has quickened the build in the tender department considerably!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thompson B3/3: New chimney and tender

I am feeling really happy with my B3/3 at the moment. Really coming along. Details of the build can be found on the link above. I really need to finish this one off so I can get back to my A3s and A4s in October...
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

That B3/3 looks really good, Simon. Such a shame that Mr Thompson chose to rebuild another classic locomotive class though but nice to see it represented in model form.
Steve
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thanks Steve. It's one of those models I had to have a go at making - I've never seen a model of a B3/3 before though I am aware some do exist - mine is not 100% accurate (wheelbase for one is wrong) but it's been fun to make something representative and I think it's getting there.

As for the merits of the rebuild - all of the originals were scrapped before 61497, whose demise in 1949 donated a boiler to the pool of B1 and O4/8 boilers. The tender went elsewhere too I believe. An interesting development which partially led to the Thompson B2 and probably confirmed that rebuilding the GC 4-6-0s was not a worthy exercise, unlike the 2-8-0s which followed. A dead end if you will, but in my view a very handsome one-off.
Woodcock29
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Simon

I'm curious as to why you have put a GC style chimney onto the B3/3 as my understanding (Greenie and Yeadon) is that it had a standard LNER B1 flowerpot chimney? In fact, according to Yeadon only the front bogie, driving wheels, rear part of the frame and the tender survived the rebuilding process.

Woodcock29
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

If you look at photographs of the loco and compare to drawings, you'll see it's not a standard B1 chimney. In fact the one used may be unique to the loco.

I'm modelling what is there, as opposed what the books say! The GC chimney was more of a match than the Bachman original. Certainly it was not a B1 chimney of any kind - far too rounded in profile and a larger diameter. Compare the B3/3 to photographs of B1s and it becomes apparent. The isinglass drawings are a dead giveaway too.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I might add - look at the dome in photographs and you'll note a further Gorton influence.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Further GCR part I've rembered - the swivel hook at the front.

RCTS makes no mention of half the things which aren't standard B1 on the B3/3 including these items and the cab - so perhaps logic dictates I should have used a B1 body unmodified for my model instead of studying the photographs and drawings?