Simon's LNER Blog - ECML/West Riding 1946-49

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Simon's Locomotive Works - ECML/West Riding 1948-51

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

no.E22, Mallard

Just doing some more work on some A4 conversions today. This is the third of my prototype conversions, a totally different take on what should give hopefully similar results. Whether one method is better than the other is as yet to be decided.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

That lighter blue A4 certainly stands out. What did Tony W reckon to it, if you don't mind my asking?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Manxman1831 wrote:That lighter blue A4 certainly stands out. What did Tony W reckon to it, if you don't mind my asking?
I think the general consensus is that it's "Garish Blue" not garter blue! :lol:

I don't mind. I hope when weathered the method in my madness will be seen. I need to just get on and do it really.
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Image

Layout building begins...

"Begins". Looks like a fair old start to me.......

auldreekie
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

auldreekie wrote: "Begins". Looks like a fair old start to me.......

auldreekie
Getting there certainly. I'm going to use C&L track I think, probably bullhead for 1946-49, and I'm also going to be making a lot of retaining walls. The centrepiece will be the bridge though. I think I may design it so it can fit in as a three or five board layout but that requires a bit more thought I suspect.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just in case anyone has missed this, had a go at casting my own tender top, a 1935 A4 corridor tender (of which I need plenty!) Comments and suggestions very much welcome. Full write up here.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

1935 A4 corridor tender being worked on this evening. Silver Fox will soon be united with her correct tender type one hopes!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

e22 Mallard

My modelling is not everyone's cup of tea. I get that entirely. I hope at the very least it provides a little insight into my passion for my modelling region. At any rate, I'm enjoying myself again and that perhaps is the best thing that's happened to my modelling for a few years.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

The way I see it, if your modelling can inspire others to do similar projects, or even to get nay-sayers out of their comfort zones and try something different, so much the better. I've taken inspiration and criticism to try and improve my own modelling, and I would hope that others have taken my criticism of them as a challenge to improve themselves, be it within a hobby, at home or at work.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thanks Brian, appreciate your views. I only hope the madness becomes more understandable once the muck and grime is added…!
S.A.C. Martin

Re: Simon's LNER Blog - ECML/West Riding 1946-49

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I've finished the scenic baseboards for my latest, biggest project: Mossflower Abbey.

I am very excited at the prospect of laying some C&L flexitrack down later this week and doing some wiring!

Nothing like a new layout to beat the post-holiday blues.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

A few more modelling updates, read here.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

The Permanent Way...

Just a little update showing how I am getting on with preparing for laying the track. Much further along with some underlay carefully laid, alignments checked and then glued down.