Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nigeln
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by nigeln »

mick b wrote:Re Horsebox

Standard of castings. As supplied on left and MJT replacements. The round blob bottom left is supposed to be a Vacumn Brake cylinder !!.
1.jpg
Re named Sir Nigel Gresley.
2.jpg
3.jpg

I was lucky as I hadnt placed any glue on the far ends of the plates on both sides :shock:

I have had for the second time the Tender causing a short on the A4 as it is wired up the "wrong" way round. It would appear that Railroad Loco chassis are wired the "wrong" way but still runs correctly!! Easy fix just swop the wires over in the tender. Luckily it wont be used on any other Loco due to the livery. I also tried another Tender with the same short as a result. This was from a superdetail Loco.
Hi check the front bogie, I`ve had trouble with them turning the wrong way without the front coupling and causing a short
I think some chassis pick up through them and if the wheels are the wrong way around it shorts out.
Nigel.
If it fits in the door it stays
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The O4/8 is looking good. Someone else mentioned to me recently that Gibson's are now selling castings for the tender top details too. An etched brass handwheel that Brassmasters sell may be the one that JW had in mind. It has the correct six spokes, but is rather spindly, You might need to solder two together to get decent strength and (according to taste) the right appearance. The other snag is that you only get one such wheel on each mixed etch of handwheels, although that etch is reasonably cheap.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Front bogie is the right way round. I have heard of other cases of tenders being wired "back to front" when used on another loco.

Graeme
Yes I have the Brassmasters version £1 each too. Very thin and I prefered the Gibson Brass version. I have another O4 to be converted so may try the Brassmasters on that one. I can live with the extra spokes on this one !

Another NRM based A3 Windsor Lad.

Boiler repainted and re Lined.This now has has the correct Banjo Dome , Washout plugs moved, top Boiler joint and Smokebox filled, Brassmasters detail etch used for:- Front steps, Reversing and Ashpan rods, Footplate supports, handrails ,etched doors and single Chimney.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
I have had to show this with the previous A3 New type non corridor Tender I repainted. So far no luck on obtaining a further replacement. Hornby have only done it in BR so far and the cancelled Book Law would have had one it fitted too. IF anyone has one?? I only need the body a PM will be appreciatted.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

4.jpg
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Very nice Mick - I've missed getting my "fix" of your A1/2/3/4 conversions!

Excellent work of course on the O4 too.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

O4/8 ready for weathering
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

5.jpg

Gladiateur A1 renamed Knight of Thistle. Brassmaster correct North British Reversing rod added to the correct side.
6.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Been quiet here due to a new Kitchen being fitted !! this has a tad like hard work but nearing the end !!. :oops: :shock:

For next year I am trying to trace current superdetail versions of the following parts for conversion/repairs.

If anyone has spares for sale please ???

Hornby A4 Single Chimney one needed two would be even better

Hornby A3 Corridor Tender I need the actual Corridor moulding

Hornby BR Streamlined A3 Non corridor Tender complete or just the body ( type as shown with Windsor Lad above)

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year

cheers
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

DIY saga finally finished for now !!
Last few days I have cleared below projects which have been sitting for quite a while

Based on the so wrong Hornby Royal Lancer .

Victor Wild has had glue damage on the footplate and front bufferbeam repaired. Rivets and small cutouts added to bufferbeam. Additional lamp iron added. replacement reversing lever and ashpan lever, Correct GN type Tender and now uses a Scotsman chassis as RL uses a plug in socket connector. Hornby have'nt done any Red Lined Tender chassis other than the corridoe version. I will use RL chassis and corridor tender with a repained A4 in apple green livery in due course.
3.jpg
4.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Flying Fox now as post war Sir Visto the last A1/A10 to be rebuilt as a A3 by BR . Paired with a repainted Mallard Tender.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Similar shot to above is in Yeadon volume
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A much damaged L1 now 9002 which was not fitted with electric lighting.
As well as removing the remains of those fittings the following has been done. Scratch rear steps , Injector & plumbing, new front bufferbeam, buffers, repairs to damaged paint/lining, non electric type lampirons, coal added and a crew
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Next up is a Royal Blue A1/1 Great Northern using Graemes resin parts.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: LNER Models

Post by Mercator II »

mick b wrote:Jim
Mould!! wouldnt have a clue where to start . I will leave that to Graeme and anyone else with the skill, I wonder if he would like to have a go ??.
I believe that Graeme has these in stock, all thats needed is your choice of buffers and paint from, drop him a PM

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I can't see the original comment that Brian is quoting in the post above. If I could, I could then confirm whether I have ?????? in stock.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Sorry Graeme, seam to of lost some of that

Was after an A4 buffer housing for latest variant Hornby

oOo

Brian
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Yes, I can supply those.