Atlantic's works: Portable layout - Ground Signals Again

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

iands
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Atlantic's works: Portable layout - Ground Signals Again

Post by iands »

Admirable. That has given me food for thought.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks for the comments. Always happy to share ideas.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Fully expecting very limited clearances around the final ground signal that I mentioned above, I had paused its construction when I had done no more than to fit the pivot tube into the base, with a small projection above, and with the folded-up head soldered onto the spindle. It's just as well that I went no further, as I would have been modelling parts that could not have been accommodated in visible positions, if at all.
I did some clearance tests with various pieces of rolling stock this afternoon, and found to my surprise that loco cylinders, drain cocks and steps were not the biggest threat to cause trouble, even with the overthrow caused by curvature of the track with the signal on the outside of the curve. The real nuisances actually stemmed from axleboxes on over-width carriage bogies, lower stepboards on vintage carriages, and worst of all in fact the lower stepboards on a good brake van built from a modified Airfix kit.
Even to have the signal head just far enough away from the brickwork of the platform edge so that the head could rotate, it was necessary to keep the head very low indeed. In fact, when I had cut away a small patch of ballast to allow the signal base to sit at true baseboard level, just the rotating head on its spindle sitting in the short upward projection of the pivot tube came quite close to fouling the offending lower stepboards, but at least it was only close rather than in conflict.
IMG_20240914_164320.jpg
IMG_20240914_164020.jpg
I wondered about the legitimacy of having only that much of a GNR ground signal visible above ballast level, but thanks to my re-checking of an image that Steve White very kindly sent me shortly after my first round of tinkering with ground signals 7 months ago, I feel I have the evidence to justify (or excuse) the appearance that this ground disc will have to have. The image in question included a GNR ground signal, between tracks in a station, with its base sunken far below ballast-top level, an open-topped box having been built closely around the signal to keep back the ballast, and very little evidence of the supporting bracket or balance lever visible above the ballast level.
I could of course cut a recess in my baseboard so that a complete signal would fit, with most of it hidden, but I think I'll draw the line at what I already have - especially as it's also all but hidden from public view by the platform! I have other things to do with my time, and one bonus of keeping the construction so stubby is that should be reasonably resistant to being bent over or broken off if does get a clout.
In best dialect, I reckon we've larnt summat today!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

When I came to check and prepare the ground signals for paint, my lack of faith in the building method I had used for the very first one, as per the instructions, was confirmed. The small piece of tube soldered to the tiny tip of the upper limb of the bracket soon fell off. I therefore did a grudging partial rebuild of that signal, creating a new upper limb from strip wrapped around the spindle at the outer end.

All eight are now wearing paint, with lamps installed. I've so far applied the colours that I believe are most likely to be correct for un-modified GNR disc signals on a branch in the 1930s, but sources of information that I checked disagree on details. Derek Mundy's old MSE instructions say all black save for the front disc only in red. Andrew Hartshorne's current MSE instructions claim both disc faces red, but also indicate that the rear "face" of the lamp itself (whatever the "rear face" of a cylindrical-bodied lamp might be) should be white. Monochrome photos from the period make it hard to decide whether rear discs (if seen) were red or a not particularly fresh and clean white. The Vanns's GNR signalling book seems to support my white painting of the rear discs on these signals, but also puzzles me by referring to the white face as the "all clear" face. Yet I can see from photographs and drawings that the heads of these signals can only rotate by 90 degrees, so the "clear" or "alright" indication is actually given by the lamp displaying a (latterly) green light from its side lens, through the open side of the signal head. If anyone has a more authoritative version of the details of genuine 1930s painting of these signals, let them speak now or forever...
IMG_20240916_175711.jpg
IMG_20240916_180025.jpg

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

These and other signals are not included per se in the standard painting schemes, other than to provide the BS381C references for the colours.

Have you looked at AA Maclean's A Pictorial Record of LNER Constituent Signalling, OPC? Not all pages are numbered, but p75 shows what may be an NER type preserved at Grosmont that shows how the circular barrel can show different aspects, in this instance red circular target but with white painted with lens at 90deg. The following two pages should be skipped until the GNR types are discussed on the page after, including a drawing.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks for those comments. I think I may already have a copy of a portion of Maclean's text, but negligently filed without a note to indicate the source of the material. The same may be true of the information that I believe to have come from the Vanns book. I really should have taken more care to preserve the attributions :oops: