Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Lovely work Mick as always! :)

Grand Parade started out as an abused NRM Scotsman which must have had a Type 107 boiler, so I see you've sorted the wash-out plugs as well. Impressive!

You really can never have enough gorgeous A1/3s. Fortunately, there's a few to go at. Time you did a North British one with Westinghouse Mick!! :wink: :wink: Just need to pick up a cheap Gladiateur with the "kinky" reversing rod.

The B1 looks really good too - such a pity they didn't name the right ones!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Exceedingly tidy finishes as usual Mick. Should Grand Parade's chimney be shorter for its time coupled to a 1928 tender? How well do the greens on the loco and tender match when seen by the human eye? Reproduction as seen on my screen has the loco a little brighter and more vivid compared to a relatively mossy tender.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Jim......Washout plugs done too, I forgot I done them when typing the list. The main problem is finding a Gladiateur to use !!

Graeme.....Yes there is a very slight difference in the Greens. Loco redone in Precision Doncaster Green ,Tender is still in original Hornby shade. It would appear Hornby change their paint shades as all the other I have done are a closer match to Precision version. Jims one I changed to Papyrus recently was the worse a weird blue/ green shade.
No idea re chimney heights ? not awarethey were ever different heights. I will have a check in RCTS for info .

Surprised you havent picked up on the cab side sheets being too high !! It really needs a GNR tender if and when I can find one for sale. ???/ !!!. :D . in this condition.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

The Hornby A1/3s are of a pretty uniform colour with the exception of the USA Scotsman which is the basis for Papyrus, Salmon Trout and Brown Jack in my collection. There is a marked difference between them, and Bachmann also use a different shade.

I have come to terms with this on the basis that I understand that the shade of paint colour would change with the passage of time between overhauls/paintshop visits.

The practice of swapping tenders between locomotives may have led to some variation between locomotives and tenders too.

Having said that, I have tried a Hornby USA Scotsman tender coupled behind other A1/3s, and the difference is just too marked. This is a pity because it limits the use of the USA Scotsman without a complete respray.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Been painting up 'Warspite' ready to pull it's Railroad A3 tender. There's an enormous difference in shades between the Railcolour Apple Green and the tender green - even after adding some black to the pot for the latest pair of coats today.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Time to do your homework Mick - that chimney on Grand Parade is totally wrong even for an early A1. I'm surprised that you didn't realise that the later Gresleys had reduced cab height and boiler mountings to suit the LNER composite loading gauge.

If you need a chimney for Grand Parade you can have one from me with my compliments. Send me a PM with your address!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Well that what you get when you dont check a old Margate Hornby version before fitting. Easily sorted a nice brass version has been found (which I had forgot I had ) now fitted and drying at mo.

Re Hornby shades of Apple Green. The following examples show variations in the colour. Most noticeable is the difference in the last photo between the shades of the GN Type and the Corridor used in the Grand Parade photos to its right.
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

7.jpg
8.jpg
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Yes Mick, you only really notice the difference in good daylight. I have two corridor tenders paired with 2508 and 4475. One came from a USA Scotsman and the other an NRM Scotsman and the shade is definately slightly different. Unfortunately the restrictions of colour makeup in digital photos don't make this very clear in your or my pictures.

Grand Parade only ran with a corridor tender from June 1932 to December 1936. The loco, being by then a Haymarket one and the replacement after Castlecary, was a regular visitor to Perth, usually returning on the 8. 2pm to Edinburgh.

I really need to add models of Grand Parade, Colorado, and Saint Johnstoun to my stud! It would mean some renumbering!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

New Chimney fitted paired with correct period Tender for Cabsides.
4.jpg
5.jpg
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

That looks excellent!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The Fitzwilliam.
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Utterly superb Mick. Was looking forward to seeing your D49 in green, it really does hit all the right spots that. Lovely, lovely work.