Simon's LNER Blog - ECML/West Riding 1946-49

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Simon's Locomotive Works - ECML/West Riding 1948-51

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Tom F wrote: At a guess...I would say that is the Kings Cross-Ripon train... the whole train would have worked to Leeds (or Harrogate) then this two coach portion would have worked north to Ripon. Going off the fact it's only 3 miles south of Ripon, that seems most likely. :)
Good to know, I now have no excuse not to model this train knowing it'll have worked near the West Riding!

I hope I can be forgiven for putting a D49/1 at the front rather than a D49/2 though...
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just a little update on my second Railroad Scotsman conversion.

I will post pictures up of the finished first one, and some more work on the Great Northern tender mould prototype later in the month.

My last proper bit of modelling was in April so this is easing back into it as I get the modelling facilities in the attic back up to scratch after a bit of remodelling the bedroom and adjacent bedroom.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Back at last eh Simon?

Just check the text on your blog. You are currently implying that you'll be making the copies of the GN tender body in latex :? :shock: . Presumably the mould will be in silicone RTV rubber, as opposed to "latex" and the castings themselves will be in some kind of polyurethane/isocyanate resin. The idea of a bouncy latex tender body is however a fascinating one.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Back at last eh Simon?

Just check the text on your blog. You are currently implying that you'll be making the copies of the GN tender body in latex :? :shock: . Presumably the mould will be in silicone RTV rubber, as opposed to "latex" and the castings themselves will be in some kind of polyurethane/isocyanate resin. The idea of a bouncy latex tender body is however a fascinating one.....
Lack of concentration I'll put it down to - first time I've done a proper modelling blog for a bit. Now amended.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Stirling Class DD Tender?

:lol:

Regards,

Vernon
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

notascoobie wrote:Stirling Class DD Tender?

:lol:

Regards,

Vernon
:?

Please explain.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Mornin'

My comment followed on from Graeme's comment "bouncy latex tender body is however a fascinating one....."

I didn't think I was that obtuse.

Regards,

Vernon
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Although that tender was credited to Stirling, it is believed that it was mainly the work of one particular draughtsman by the name of C. Smallpiece.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

notascoobie wrote:Mornin'

My comment followed on from Graeme's comment "bouncy latex tender body is however a fascinating one....."

I didn't think I was that obtuse.

Regards,

Vernon
Sorry Vernon, didn't catch the link. My apologies.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:
Sorry Vernon, didn't catch the link. My apologies.
No worries, I'm afraid I can't help my weird sense of humour!

Regards,

Vernon
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

A bumper crop of updates on my LNER locomotive modelling (click here).

Two additions to the fleet, five modelling projects and two shout outs for various cottage industries who have provided some excellent products which have directly helped my modelling this year.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It may be the photos, but the GS buffers on the J50 look a bit spindly. How do they compare to AGs or even Bachmann/Hornby's?

Dave Franks is usually very good, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me if the others are a bit oversize.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

jwealleans wrote:It may be the photos, but the GS buffers on the J50 look a bit spindly. How do they compare to AGs or even Bachmann/Hornby's?

Dave Franks is usually very good, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me if the others are a bit oversize.
My apologies for missing this previously.

I think it's just the angle and the locomotive they're on - they are as far as I can see the same size. The Hornby ones may be a minuscule bit larger all round to house the spring mechanism. I think when painted they'll look about the same.

I have been playing around with some of Gresley's Pacifics for a change (!) and here is the link to that modelling.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »