2750 (Tom's) Workbench-North Eastern Modelling 1938

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: York Sheds 'LEAMAN ROAD' MPD

Post by Tom F »

Hmmmm, plenty to think about.
If you did do a C6 Arthur would do both types?
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

Tom

Not sure which of the two C6s I prefer. The one I built was because I had a drawing for that. (Dare I mention the word Skinley?) I like the large splashers on the early ones, probably easier to design and build. The later ones had smaller bogie wheels which passed under the frame cut-outs, no need for tapered frames at the front.

Answer: not sure but the one I started to design was the later variant.

Arthur
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Morning Gents.

2548 is now finished. I took my time with this one, constantly checking the photograph I was working from. Must have been a 3 hour job in total. 2548 'Galtee More' is stabled at Grantham in 1938, and most likely York was a changing point for Southern Area locomotives. The photo I have used as my basis is one I posted a link to a few pages back. It's a colour rail photo showing 2548 under York's Cenotaph. I shall try recreating the photo later today on the layout.
_MG_6549.jpg
The Klear creates that wonderful effect when the morning sun hits it.
_MG_6550.jpg
Something different I'm going to do with my 1938 fleet is have changeable coal loads. It crossed my mind when modelling 1950 that certain locos coming from further afield, I added a small amount of coal, but that means I can't show them loaded up moving off Shed.

So what I've done is represent 2548 with a full load of coal, by building up real coal on top of the Hornby coal insert. The colour rail photo shows a full coal load piled high after coming off the coaling stage, which I've tried to replicate.
_MG_6554.jpg
As the coal is firmly in place I can just lift out, to reveal a more sparse coal load.
_MG_6556.jpg
Next week I shall commence work on 2571 'Sunstar' of Gateshead. Also have Capercaillie to crack on with.
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

In the main that looks uncomfortably realistic compared to the few colour photos that survive. It's a shame to see LNER green engines looking dirty, yet that was all to often the reality. I'm tempted to suggest that what really would put the icing on the cake is a different treatment of the wheels if you can devise one. The translucency of the green plastic spokes seems to show, especially in strong light such as your sunlit shots, that the weathering has concentrated itself on the projecting edge of each spoke leaving the flat faces of the spokes relatively clean. I imagine that the collection of dirt ought really to be the reverse of that, i.e. greatest between the spokes where a quick wipe doesn't shift the muck off.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

I'm sure I can can do some dry brush work between the spokes easy enough. Sadly I'm unsure of a solution regarding the wheel colour. I already gave them a coat of Klear to try and deepen the colour.

Sadly the crux of the matter is Hornby's wheels are a different colour to the body, and I don't fancy lining out new wheels. ;)
Tom Foster
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

I hesitate to comment, since I've never done work remotely to this standard. But a cat can look at a queen. I thought "what nitpicking", until I enlarged the pictures. On that view, I think its a "hue" problem rather than one of "translucency", and I agree that some judiciously applied muck between the spokes would almost certainly remove the effect.

auldreekie
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Will crack on with the amendments later today. Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated. :)
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Just for clarification, I certainly didn't intend to nit-pick. I was instead observing that it appeared to me that the existing superb job could possibly be made even better, should Tom wish to try.
My "weathering" doesn't go into anything like such levels of authenticity, so I'm definitely a cat looking at a queen in this respect.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Just for clarification, I certainly didn't intend to nit-pick. I was instead observing that it appeared to me that the existing superb job could possibly be made even better, should Tom wish to try.
My "weathering" doesn't go into anything like such levels of authenticity, so I'm definitely a cat looking at a queen in this respect.
I very much appreciate your feedback Graeme, for once I noticed it it stood out. I think it shows how used I was to BR period stuff, there is a lot you can get away with when the wheels are black.

I've finished working on the wheels, and I think the effect is far better. See what you think.
_MG_6559.jpg
_MG_6560.jpg
Finally a font end shot.
_MG_6562.jpg
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Trying my best to recreate a photo taken in the late 1930s of 2548 'Galtee More' on Shed at York. The original photo can be found here.http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CCQ-colour-slide ... ~60_12.JPG

Couldn't recreate the shot exactly due to the baseboards and no where for my tripod to fit.
_MG_6572.jpg
Tom Foster
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

I obviously made myself very un-clear. I intended to SUPPORT Atlantic's critique, not to condemn it. Best if I shut up.

Except to say, since I was evidently UTTERLY mis-comprehended, that I think the model, its paint finish, and the weathering thereof are enviably splendid. That's it.

auldreekie
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

auldreekie wrote:I obviously made myself very un-clear. I intended to SUPPORT Atlantic's critique, not to condemn it. Best if I shut up.

Except to say, since I was evidently UTTERLY mis-comprehended, that I think the model, its paint finish, and the weathering thereof are enviably splendid. That's it.

auldreekie
And I appreciated your feedback auldreekie. Both yourself and Graeme's comments made me go back and make some modifications, which I think now improves the look of the running gear.

2548 just needs some company now on the layout! ;)
Tom Foster
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Cor Tom, how your weathering has come on. Spectacular that.

I long for the spray booth and some weathering right now, but it's all packed away until I'm in the new house with Charlotte.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Misunderstandings or not, I'd say you've finished up with a very nice result there Tom.

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Cor Tom, how your weathering has come on. Spectacular that.

I long for the spray booth and some weathering right now, but it's all packed away until I'm in the new house with Charlotte.
Cheers mate! :)

I must admit I do have a spray booth but don't really use it. Both my windows open wide so I crank them open, and tend to make sure I do any airbrushing in the morning to give time for the air to clear.

Must be hard having your stuff packed away, but at least it's giving you something to look forward to.
Atlantic 3279 wrote:Misunderstandings or not, I'd say you've finished up with a very nice result there Tom.
Cheers Graeme, and thanks for the advice. Capercaillie is up next! I will be repainting her wheels though.
Tom Foster